Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Went for a walk with purpose (Read 2642 times)
Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Went for a walk with purpose
Nov 26th, 2020 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Every year around this time a big old Billy shows up on my place. Ive watched him with temptation for a couple of years now as I knew he would be up there with some of the biggest Ive shot. Trouble was I had a feeling he wasn't as big as I hoped, for some reason. Anyway a couple of weeks ago I caught sight of him at a distance. He was back.  So on Sunday afternoon when I had some free time I grabbed my bow and went looking specifically for him. About 5pm I caught up with him with a small mob and could tell straight away that he had gone backwards in the last 8 months. The most spectacular thing about him used to be an amazing cape and beard that much resembled a Markhor goat. By far the best cape id seen on a goat! Much of it was now gone however. 
I snuck in to about 18 yards and let go an arrow which went through his chest quartering away. The tough old bugger should have keeled over but he kept hanging on and I had to follow him a couple of hundred meters and put another one into his neck when he gave me the chance.
He went a bit over 31 inch spread which was indeed smaller than I hoped, but to put it in perspective is still the third biggest billy i've shot by any means out of between 5 and 8,000 goats shot. And when I checked his teeth there was not a single one left in his mouth. Roughly I aged his growth rings at 13.5 years of age. The old knife in the second pic is one of my grandfathers from the 1930's. A folder with bull horn scales and sharp as hell! Would put most modern stainless jobs to shame!

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Went for a walk with purpose
Reply #1 - Nov 26th, 2020 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
Nice!

That wee vintage folder looks like the predecessor to the Mercator Smiley

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 27th, 2020 at 7:21am
Print Post  
Yes I thought similar. I worked out that the bolsters with the claws on them are actually 12 and 16 gauges shell gauges. As far as I can make out the maker is called Visgorn.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 28th, 2020 at 7:05pm
Print Post  
thats an awesome ol stinky....good on you for taing with the bow...a fitting end to a life lived to the full.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2020 at 6:20am
Print Post  
Good hunting with the bow,he has bloody big handle bars alright. Wink

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards