Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Swaro binos (Read 1662 times)
rugered1

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Swaro binos
Nov 18th, 2020 at 11:34pm
Print Post  
Any field advice or anything else to consider would be much appreciated!

I haven't experienced any good optics beyond my older Yosemite's and I'm sick of lugging them around and not using them - too big, heavy and clunky. I feel if I have a good compact set then I will be inclined to use them + I just want some.

I'm pretty set on Swaros for no apparent reason other than they seem to be among the top three or so in the premium benchmark and I think I will prefer going as compact as I can - Budget $1500.
Any hunting I get to do these days is mostly North island bush and some tops so not a great deal of glassing.   

Pocket Mountain 8 or 10x25's seem like they would be nice to have tucked in top pocket and used at will but the Companions would probably be more comfortable.

Between the Cl Companions and the CL Nomad Companions there's a $1500 difference just to change names! Do a comparison and everything matches up, I don't know enough about top optics and I don't want to spend money and get caught by marketing garb. I wouldn't buy the Nomads but the price escalation is extreme between Swaro models.

I don't doubt you are getting good glass with all models but If you buy the base model are you pretty much covered?

With covid the stock is pretty low and second hand market lean so with the few remaining units with the distributor I need to act quick if I want anything soonish.

Up your Arsenal...

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Swaro binos
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2020 at 11:56am
Print Post  

Just gotta remember that a compact binocular often delivers a 'compact' performance - a small field of view.
I have the 6x Yosemite's too and while they're a good binocular they're too big for my use. I bush hunt and use my binoculars all the time - have got 6x Nikon Travelite's that fit neatly in my top pocket or just hang down under my shirt - small, no weight to speak off and they're just a 'one hand grab' to bring into play. They're no great shakes in the FOV department but by keeping moderately low power I can find stuff through them pretty quick.
Nice glass is really nice, but when I'm hunting I'm not thinking .......... "Shit, this is really nice glass." - I'm more wondering what the hell is that over there.
I've got some nice glass here - Kowa, Zeiss, but they stay home because those battered thirty year old little Nikon's suit me better.

If you're looking from mountain top to mountain top then that's a different matter - you probably want high power and good glass for that. Remember looking at a mob of pigs years ago over in the next valley with my 8x power Mamiya's and thought they were beef. And then I looked through my mates better quality high power binoculars and that beef became pigs.

But - if you 'just want them', then get them - I'm falling over stuff I got just because I wanted it .....
"You really gonna wear that German Pickelhaube next time you go hunting ?"
"Bloody oath !"

Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards