Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Hotspotters & Influencers (Read 2978 times)
marlsounds
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Hotspotters & Influencers
Nov 9th, 2020 at 11:21am
Print Post  
I understand that many of our kiwi forum members would NEVER take advice on buying gear from the industry's artful influencers, but many anglers do.

These posts also provide easy access to some of the secret spots we most treasure through the widespread one-upness of social media. Here's a recent article on the damage being caused to our pursuit by hot-spotters and influencers.

https://www.hatchmag.com/articles/dark-side-social-media-influencers/7715151

This excerpt resonated with me: "The conference cemented to me some very real changes in the media landscape that I have long suspected but now firmly understand as real brands, organizations, companies, destinations and even people are often defined, not by the products they craft or the experiences they offer, but by the people who promote them."

In New Zealand, we're seeing more of our remote, pressure-sensitive, wilderness catchments being forced to limit angler access via ballots, beats and legislation.

Sadly now necessary, I believe some of this pressure comes from sharing details on social media, in online articles and from offshore print magazines publishing stories that name rivers and locations. This provides short-term gain for prospecting anglers, but the overall decline of the trophy fisheries in many New Zealand headwaters is real and likely unstoppable now.

I also think the brands supporting influencers and 'brand ambassadors' whether paid in cash or kind, need to take a leadership role to protect the identity of our backcountry waterways.

What do y'all think about this?

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Hotspotters & Influencers
Reply #1 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 12:04pm
Print Post  

That's been happening a long time mate - even before computers.
Have got a mate who bought 50 acres down the West Coast many, many years ago. He's got a couple of caravans he stays in when he's down there and fishes for trout in the stream that flows through the property.
Apart from the odd tramper he never saw anyone, that is until a trout fishing person caught some really nice trout in his public access stream and posted an article including location plus photos in a fishing magazine.

It buggered the place for him, gone was his seclusion, people broke into his caravans, chopped down his trees and camped on the property, then they shit all over it - and all that from one magazine article.

You don't tell people nothing these days - I've read every article 'Davlaws' has posted on his fishing spots and have plundered every one of them - and that's why he's been catching sod-all  Smiley

IP Logged

marlsounds
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Hotspotters & Influencers
Reply #2 - Nov 9th, 2020 at 7:32pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Nov 9th, 2020 at 12:04pm:
That's been happening a long time mate - even before computers.

Ha, good call. You're right. But worse than ever now - and with much wider reach thanks to computers. We're now running out of good places.

The below article, for instance, will surely wind the very guides up who fish these South Island rivers and allowed the streams mentioned to be written up in this way.

https://www.flyfisherman.com/editorial/south-island-the-mount-everest-of-trout-f...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards