Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Pack, vs bumbag vs pikau vs ultralight (Read 2050 times)
poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Pack, vs bumbag vs pikau vs ultralight
Oct 28th, 2020 at 11:16am
Print Post  
Hi guys, new hunter from down south. I was wondering what people take with them for day hunts. If you take a pack, what size do you take and why?
If you take a bumbag, are there any you reccomend and and how do you transport your kill home?
If you go ultralight, how do you do it? Big pockets, hunting vest, webbing and what do you always take?
Currently I am using a small pikau (that can be a bit of a pain) and a small generic bumbag that is working pretty well.
I find that the moment I put a Swanni and a game bag in my pikau there isn't room for anything else.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Pack, vs bumbag vs pikau vs ultralight
Reply #1 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 6:44am
Print Post  
im using a swazi stag bag, i like that zips up and is quiet

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #2 - Oct 29th, 2020 at 10:07am
Print Post  
I use the stony creek bum bag. Will get another if it craps out.

Have PLB spare lighter, tiny torch, bandage and medical tape in front pocket. Always.
As you see the knife.
Bought the other little pouch which holds my phone for navigation and ammunition.
The big pouch holds whatever I need for the day. eg Food, water, cooker, headlamp.
Top opens up into backpack for meat.
Love it, but not always easy to get backpack tucked away again. Also not most comfortable when full of meat.
Always have my jacket on or around my waist.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Oct 30th, 2020 at 5:57am
Print Post  
how does the top open up into a back pack?

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #4 - Oct 30th, 2020 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
bufferzone wrote on Oct 30th, 2020 at 5:57am:
how does the top open up into a back pack?

Left the main pouch open in both photos, but you can see the top portion open to roll out the back back.
Still quality material on the backpack part.

IP Logged

poodle
Donor Member

meat is murder, tasty
tasty murder.

Reply #5 - Oct 30th, 2020 at 10:27pm
Print Post  
That is very very cool... Hmmmm.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Oct 31st, 2020 at 5:24am
Print Post  
woah

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #7 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 5:46pm
Print Post  
For me it depends on where and what.
Bumbag for bow hunting as itís small and doesnít snag when crawling along plus itís close to home so donít need a lot of stuff
A stony creek as above for half day And some full day hunts
And a full pack for overnighters 50 litres going all the way to my main 90 litre Multi day pack

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 8:00pm
Print Post  

Depends on how you hunt, where and for how long.

I hunt with a pack on my back and bunk down where I find myself - works for me, and has for a lot of years.

So - 35 liter frameless pack that holds all I need for two to four days out - doesn't hamper me shooting with it on as it doesn't have fat-arse straps as there's not a lot of weight in there.

Took me a lot of years to work that one out, used to camp and return to camp each night - and didn't always make it. Spent a lot of unplanned nights out which is never fun, so now I've always got 'camp' with me.

I also never wear a belt, can't stand the bloody things, so knives and what else goes on a belt goes in my pack and spare ammo in my pockets.

Different for everyone I suppose, went the pikau route when I was younger and that worked, but have seriously skinned down on bulk, weight and 'tits on a bull' items and the pack works better for me these days.
Throw away your swanni, they're only good for sleeping on if you don't have a pad, and biff your long pants - unless you got really ugly legs that don't photograph too well. Lots of  options out there, just gotta work out what works for you.
I don't cook while hunting either - though I do like a fire for company sometimes ....... and a cuppa before bed.
My food is pre-prepared and I 'pick' at it as I go along - and my pack gets lighter .........

I'm not 'ultralite' - can't afford that, but would go that route if I was younger and had more loot .......... look up 'Creed' who used to be on here.

IP Logged

Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Nov 1st, 2020 at 8:07pm
Print Post  
Just to change the course of this thread a little, then we will get back on track I am sure.

No cooking Sf90???  Could you expand on pre prepared meals please. What about when you where presuming, still no cooked meals??? Or did you cook then?.

If I sound surprised I am, but I also genuinely want an answer cause I may need to change.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Nov 2nd, 2020 at 1:06am
Print Post  

I cook when I'm out possuming - or did 'til I quit that not so many years ago. I would be out there 12 days at a time and had a lot of canvas up - I ate well doing that, had to as I could be walking up to ten hours a day.

For hunting I prepare 'oat cakes', which is really just home made muesli bars made from steel cut oats, diced dates, figs, chia seed, whizzed nuts (no teeth) and honey.
I make them for the kids lunches too, they're moist, will last for a week and are nice to eat - quite filling.
I also carry tins of sardines and will eat one a day - sometimes a can of tuna. I'll have them with hard biscuits I suck - or rusks.
I carry prunes and dried apricots which I individually wrap in plastic wrapping and I carry those in my pockets.
I met an Israeli guy who did all that years ago - he called it 'grazing'.

Doing it that way I'm carrying no cooking stuff - which for me now is just weight and bulk. I do carry a beer can cooker which runs on meths - it all sits inside a 400 ml titanium cup including sugar, tea/coffee and milk powder.
Last time out I took coffee sachets which I'll do again - nice to have during the day and a hot drink in the evening is quite luxurious.

I'm not over worried about proper nutrition over short trips like that - just that I'm eating food that will keep me going.

My bag, pad and fly cost me a small fortune, but they are lightweight and have little bulk - and clothing is merino, home made fleece tee shirts, down jackets (2x) sleeveless and sleeved (bulk down to nothing) and hooded rain jacket. I got in the habit of wearing longs possuming as I was always on my knees - and have a lightweight pair of pants my nephew gave me that you can't wear a hole through - bloody impressive.
Got a blue mesh thing I wear over the top.

If I shoot something I hang the bugger in a tree and bunk right there - my hunting's done.
Nek morning I deal with it - or carry it out whole, along with all the stuff I carried in. I'm too old to do that any more, but I can still carry the straps and hindquarters - and because I got my home on my back I don't have to do it all in one day if I get buggered.

If I have a fire I'll burn my tins and stash them out of the way, they rot away in no time - otherwise I carry them out.

My wife also makes jerky and dehydrates seasonal fruit which I'll take too - without being silly about it.

In effect, it's the only way I can still go hunting ........... and I very much doubt I'm the only one doing it that way.

Creed goes even lighter - he prepares cooked meals then dehydrates them. I've never done that - on a long trip maybe, but just eating 'ready to eat' suits me - no preparation, you done all that - just pull it out and eat it.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards