Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Introduction, and anyone wants to take a newbie to a hunt? (Read 5132 times)
Idan
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Introduction, and anyone wants to take a newbie to a hunt?
Sep 23rd, 2020 at 8:32am
Print Post  
Hi everyone, this is my first post in this forum.

I'm 26 years old, originally from Israel. I have shooting experience from the army but had never hunted before and have been a city boy all my life. I started getting interested in hunting after watching shows such as Life Below Zero, my understanding of where we come from and who we are as human beings increased and with it my desire to experience life closer to the way we were designed to live.

Last month I bit the bullet and went on a guided hunt with a guy named Paul. Firstly he took me to Woodhill forest near Auckland where I live to get the experience of a guaranteed kill. I shot a hind, butchered it and everything. It was truly and indescribably raw experience.
Then we went on a 3 day trip to Te Urewera, but unfortunately we didn't see any deer the whole time. We got to shoot some possum though.

Now, I'm trying to find the next steps forward. It is still not feasible for me to obtain a hunting / firearms license, but I also don't feel comfortable enough to go hunting on my own yet. I have the basics down but I don't think it's enough - kids whose dads take them hunting get hundreds of hunting lessons. Yet it wouldn't be feasible for me to pay for more guided hunts.

I was hoping to find forum members here who would be kind enough to take me hunting with them. I don't have to shoot because I think that is my strong part. Finding animals and the rest of the experience is mainly what I'm looking forward to learning more of. Please feel free to message me if you think that can work.

Cheers,
Idan
« Last Edit: Oct 5th, 2020 at 8:05pm by Idan »  

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Introduction, and anyone wants to take a newbie to a hunt?
Reply #1 - Sep 23rd, 2020 at 10:42am
Print Post  
there are folks with farmland doing VERY cheap meat hunt packages....so you go along and shoot an animal to take home for much less price than guided thing....have a quick look on threads here and you will see a great fella doing just that down the road a little bit from you but not a huge distance to travel...Pm the man and see what clicks for the two of you.... thats my best advice.

IP Logged

Idan
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Oct 2nd, 2020 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Sep 23rd, 2020 at 10:42am:
there are folks with farmland doing VERY cheap meat hunt packages....so you go along and shoot an animal to take home for much less price than guided thing....have a quick look on threads here and you will see a great fella doing just that down the road a little bit from you but not a huge distance to travel...Pm the man and see what clicks for the two of you.... thats my best advice.

That sounds good, I'll definitely check that out. However I'm mostly interested in public land hunting where there is a bit more of a challenge. Hoping I find someone to go on an adventure with.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 5th, 2020 at 2:46pm
Print Post  
im heading out this weekend but i see youre in acland

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards