Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help identifying old custom Garmin icons (Read 591 times)
blackfoot
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Help identifying old custom Garmin icons
Sep 8th, 2020 at 8:02pm
Print Post  
Hi guys,

I need a bit of help in identifying some old custom Garmin icons that were loaded into an old Garmin 60CSx gps unit that I inherited from my older brother.  These are the old 16x16 pixel size.

Here are the custom icons that were loaded:
https://i.ibb.co/VJ4F7qh/Garmin-icons.png

After a bit of searching around I guessing that these were created by a forum member here by the name of Tone.  Here's the old forum link which I think these may of came from http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1194421086

I'm not completely sure if these are Tone's or not since the pictures are no longer showing and the box.net link no longer contains anything.  I'm just going off the descriptions in the posts which seem to match the icons I have in my gps unit.  I'm not sure if Tone is still active on this forum and I can't ask my brother what they are because sadly he's no longer with us anymore.

I think I've managed to work out most of the icons but I'm not sure what some of them are supposed to be. Here's what I've got so far:

000 Hut
001 Binoculars/observation point
002 Bullet/shot location
003 ?????  Camp fire or camp site?
004 Clearing in the bushes/grassy patch
005 Helicopter landing zone
006 Sandwich/lunch spot
007 Bivy/tent site
008 Animal tracks/trail
009 Green T/start of trail
010 Red T/end of trail
011 Trail intersection point
012 Stream crossing point
013 ????? Swamp?
014 Slip/landslide area
015 ?????  Rubbing on tree?
016 ?????  Water hole or wallow?
017 Gate
018 Sika deer
019 Red deer
020 Pig
021 Sandwich/lunch spot
022 ?????  (I have no idea what this is) Gear stash in hole or weird fork stuck in hotdog??
023 Chamois deer

I'm not 100% sure on 3, 13, 15, 16 and can't work out 22.   

If anyone who's seen these before could you help me in filling in the blanks or correct any that I may of gotten wrong, I would really appreciated it.

Does anyone still have a copy of the original icons with descriptions still?

My older bro was also a keen hunter and I'm guessing he was a frequent visitor to this forum.   I'm hoping the hunting community here might be able to help shed a little bit of light on a little puzzle my bro left me.

Thanks for reading my long post.
Blackfoot

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Help identifying old custom Garmin icons
Reply #1 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 7:57am
Print Post  
it sounds like a VERY good excuse to go visit them all....sort of pilgrimage meets geocaching . you will be walking in footsteps of your Bro.....
if you go onto google earth on computer....and change settings on your handheld till the coordinates are same...eg running same set of numbers for givin point...you will be able to look at all those waypoints with a bit of time and tootooing and it may well answer your questions for you.

IP Logged

blackfoot
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Help identifying old custom Garmin icons
Reply #2 - Sep 9th, 2020 at 1:39pm
Print Post  
Thanks Micky Duck.

I still have all his waypoints and I understand the icons he has used with his labeling of the waypoints.  If I'm in the same area I do plan on seeing the same spots. 

But my bro didn't use all the custom icons and I'm hoping I can find out the meaning for the complete list.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards