Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wild Pork and Venison Sausages (Read 893 times)
ZeroPak
Just Joined

ZeroPak. The Ultimate
Vacuum Sealing Solution

Wild Pork and Venison Sausages
Aug 31st, 2020 at 2:18pm
Print Post  
Here is a video of a Sausage making session we had on the weekend. I am interested on people thoughts about 1 or 2 grinds through the mincer, flavouring additions, plus what you think is the minimum amount of fat which can be added but still get an acceptable product
https://youtu.be/7JOhsv5jlvg

ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers. Zero Air Zero Waste.
IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Meat enthusiast

Re: Wild Pork and Venison Sausages
Reply #1 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 12:10pm
Print Post  
Would personally have fat and meat half frozen when mincing, but fresh sausages are more forgiving then dry cured products... Looks like you used nice back fat, hard to come by sometimes, unless you willing to buy Danish or Chinese pork that is...

Did you add any #1 pink salt or was it in the mix already? I don't like premixes, nothing beats freshly toasted spices! Minimum fat content would be around 30% mark I think.

I am pretty sure that more mixing should be done as they might have turned bit grainy after cooking? Or was there any milk powder as binder in the mix?

Checked out your products and its looking good!  Cool

Shoot, cure, eat, repeat!

IP Logged

ZeroPak
Just Joined

ZeroPak. The Ultimate
Vacuum Sealing Solution

Re: Wild Pork and Venison Sausages
Reply #2 - Sep 1st, 2020 at 4:45pm
Print Post  
Yes the meat was not quite as cold as I would have liked but it was good stuff with very little sinew so it ground quite well. We had to buy the fat from a local butcher so it was better quality that what we would normally have saved. Good point about the imported fat, I will check with them If I have to buy more. I did not add salt, the flavour mix already had salt in it. Not sure I will continue with pre made mixes I just liked the idea of a South African Blend. Those guys are big on their sausages. Fat content was approx 20%. It just seems to me that I could get away with less, they do release quite a bit of fat while cooking and I do like my meat lean. I am really interested to see if anyone out there has gone down the road of experimenting with less fat and how little added fat still makes an acceptable sausage. Thanks for your input.

ZeroPak Vacuum Sealers. Zero Air Zero Waste.
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards