Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Garmin GPS (Read 919 times)
300WSM Tikka

300 wsm

Garmin GPS
Aug 25th, 2020 at 7:41pm
Print Post  
Hi Thinking of upgrading my well used Garmin 62S to a Garmin 66i has anyone had any experience with this?

IP Logged

kiwitonita

Re: Garmin GPS
Reply #1 - Aug 30th, 2020 at 5:55pm
Print Post  
The 66i is a big step up in complexity.  The Johnny Appleseed blog article here may help. 

There's a handy increase in screen size from 20 to 24 sq.cm and twice the resolution at 4,000 pixels per sq.cm.

Fortunately there are plenty of YT videos helping with setting up the 66i.  Maps you have on the current unit can be copied to the 66i - they go in the Garmin folder.

As well as the Garmin satellite subscription service for the 2-way messaging there's also a Christchurch service aimed more at lone workers and commercial operations / race event tracking: https://trackme.nz/.  The message transmission is faster with TrackMe.

Note that the convenience of AA batteries in your present unit is not available.  The 66i has a lithium battery that is not easily replaceable.  This aspect was discussed on the Garmin inReach forum here.  The same forum has other topics of interest for this model as well.   

Last year there was a fault that prevented the NZTM coordinates displaying in some data boxes but this was eventually fixed.

Please DO NOT send a PM.  Use kiwigps@farmside.co.nz 
xtra & gmail users should check their spam folders if no reply to your normal in-box.
IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Re: Garmin GPS
Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 12:09pm
Print Post  
Great info thanks.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards