Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Anchor (Read 1420 times)
Tommo mk2

Je Suis Prest

Anchor
Aug 24th, 2020 at 2:03pm
Print Post  
G'day guys, seeking some advice please. Have just purchased a second-hand 5.8m Fi-Glass Lightning, having just sold my smaller Fi-Glass Senator. I often anchor overnight in sheltered bays in Marlborough Sounds, Banks Peninsula etc and always used a solid 5kg Danforth for the Senator. However, this won't fit in the Lightning's small anchor locker so I'm investigating a 'folding' grapple anchor.  Do you have any experience with them? And if so, what weight would you suggest I go with this bigger, heavier vessel? Cheers

IP Logged

davflaws
Donor Member

NOT Training for SAS Selection

Re: Anchor
Reply #1 - Aug 24th, 2020 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
About 50 years ago, I spent 5 summers working round the Sounds in my 26ft launch. Ground tackle was the most important equipment aboard.

If I were you I would get the biggest Danforth that will fit in the well, and back it with a 3m length of the heaviest  chain you are willing to haul up from 50m if you need to. For me that was a 20lb Danforth and three eighths inch chain, but I was a fit young bugger then.

Mouse your shackles. Check them regularly.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #2 - Aug 27th, 2020 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
yeah I wouldn't go a grapple anchor for overnight. Go with another Danforth. If it wont fill in the well, maybe lash it to the front in position. Waking up in the straight might be a bummer

IP Logged

Tommo mk2

Je Suis Prest

Reply #3 - Aug 28th, 2020 at 3:03pm
Print Post  
Thanks guys, will simply ensure the large Danforth remains on board.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards