Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic What to do (Read 396 times)
Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

What to do
Jul 10th, 2020 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
Hi there long time listener first time caller!
Iím a deer stalker by nature - donít hate me for that!
But Iíve shot a few pigs In my time but every time itís turned to shite - they taste like shit. I cannot for the life of me get them to taste anything like what they should.
I understand the 200lb boar tasting a little bit rich - actually my Labrador wouldnít eat it! He ate his own shit!
A Lovely 50Lb boar where I only took hind legs and back steaks into a chiller in 3 hrs ......tasted like shit!
Any suggestions On why greatly received.
I currently leave the poaka alone - where am I going wrong?

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: What to do
Reply #1 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 8:36am
Print Post  
1) If you can, hang it in a chiller for about 4 days.

2) when cooking it you have to go by smell. Youíll know what I mean when you do it. Thereís a certain temp at which point the meat has a chemical change and tastes good. Take it out too soon and yuk.
It has to be cooked well, even if it means overcooking it a bit.

3) Pigs from native bush taste a lot better than pine pigs, and if youíre like me and sometimes hunt behind potato crops theyíre even better.

4) If none of these things work and a pig still tastes bad, thatís the one you give away to friends haha.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 12:47pm
Print Post  
I'm the same as you Radar, but I done enough pig hunting down South to know you take the 'nuts' off the one's that have 'nuts' (even before you take a photo) - and you cool them down soon as you can.
I've lost enough animals through improper management to change my way of hunting.
"Bang !"
Nuts off, guts out, stick in a muslin bag and hang in a tree overnight.
Nek morning after a comfy sleep and a leisurely breakie - pack him up and haul him out.

I don't do morning or afternoon hunt's and I 'turtle' my home (Fly, S/Bag and food) in a 'soft' daybag so I can park right where I shoot it.

If you're 100 yards from your car, then that's a bit different if you can get him/her home quick. The other option is to throw him in the boot, or over the bonnet (to absorb engine heat, road dust, fly shit) for the next hundred miles until you're home. Used to see a lot of people do that - and I actually saw one doing it last year.

Nother thing with pigs, if they get heavily chewed by dogs then they seem to be able to 'go-off' really quick. Don't know if the breed of dog makes much difference, but I have been bitten by three different breeds and if was to rate them for effectiveness, then the 'H/W 61's' Bull something or other was the best, his teeth met in the middle and I had to go to Casualty for that - if I hadn't done that I reckon I might have started rotting.
The Jones dog was next best - just bit me for no reason, but it was thunderstorming and I've often wondered if he mean't to bite the McClean kid, but got confused. Mum cleaned that one up - and I can't remember the third, could have been my Lab that bit me when he got stuck in a possum trap, Cindy's f**kin mongrel that slashed his teeth across my knuckles exposing bone - or another one that just lingers in the fringes of memory ........... and that one could be bullshit ................ or someone else's story that I stole and think belongs to me now.

And then - some just taste like shit anyway   Huh

Ate a 'pine pig' a neighbour gave us last year .....
"A whole pig, cheers mate - that's really generous."
"Nah not really - we don't eat that shit."
It was really nice  Smiley

And of course - there's cooking, but that'll probably just be the difference between Tough and soft and less to do with taste.

I don't shoot pigs much - I actually like them and feel a bit rotten when I do.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Jul 11th, 2020 at 12:49pm
Print Post  
yeh id be keen to know what sort of country  ya pigs are coming from, i hunt native/scrub and the pigs are in top shape this winter, been makin me own bacon!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards