Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Newbie (Read 2486 times)
mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Jul 3rd, 2020 at 12:06pm
Print Post  
Hi guys just wondering how much effort and cost is involved in getting into filming our hunting trips,Also if going to post filming on here I presume that I would need to get some sort of editing program etc,Iím not tec Savy,What a good camera that is small and records good quality?many thanks for any advice?. Wink

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Re: Newbie
Reply #1 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 7:14am
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice, Wink

IP Logged

blackfoot
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
I know that this might be a bit late but you could get by with just a cheap gopro or gopro clone for a couple of hundred bucks for your close up shots or commentary.  You can find a cheap handycam style for about $350 and upwards for distance shots. These will have great zoom up to about 30x.

The cheapest way would be to use your phone.

One thing I highly recommend is to use a small tripod for most videos rather than mounting the gopro on a headband or hand holding a phone.  You can get a phone clamp that mounts on a tripod for about $20

A tripod is a bit more cumbersome to lug around but the really big advantage is the video is stationary.  The gopro headband footage or handheld phone videos that move all over the place are annoying and impossible to watch. It also gives the viewer a thumping big headache to watch.

I also recommend using a lapel mic to record sound.  Sound is much clearer for commentary.  The built in mics pick up so much wind you can't anything else.  You can pick up a cheap lapel mic for about $50 or less that plugs in.

Use a wind sock or shield on the mic to help cut the wind noise.  These are cheap to buy or make one from fux fur.

I hope this helps.

IP Logged

blackfoot
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Sep 8th, 2020 at 5:27pm
Print Post  
Oh and I forgot, for video editing, you can use the free imovie on Mac or just google free video editor for PC.  There are quite a few good free ones out there on the net.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #4 - Sep 17th, 2020 at 8:21am
Print Post  
Great info thanks Blackfoot Smiley
I agree about the tripod. That shaky footage is a nightmare to watch

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards