Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Brass cleaning (Read 1190 times)
Joshgill
Donor Member

Brass cleaning
Jul 2nd, 2020 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
Iíve allways cleaned my brass with fine iron wool times not a factor as I only reload 100 a year , but am wondering if Iím being hard on my dies not cleaning case enuf , or loosening consistency, do like stretching the legs so if I can make any improvements to my reloading would be good to know
If I need to change whatís best method , price and effectiveness thank you

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Re: Brass cleaning
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 6:43am
Print Post  
I bought a rock polisher online about 2 years ago and got stainless steel pins from Reloaders and now wash my brass each time - polishes them up like new each time. Iíve done measurements and thereís no real difference excepting length changes each time itís fired. Iím loading .223 and 7mm08
I have also cleaned brass for others, so itís used reasonable often - not so much now as the semi autos are now banned😈

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 9:01am
Print Post  
Over the years I have progressed thru
dry media tumbling, ultrasonic,  to SS wet tumbling. I no longer do any of those except on the odd occasion I will SS tumble rifle range pickups.
My cases, as soon as possible after firing, are decapping and primer pockets cleaned, inside necks cleaned with stiff nylon brush. The outsides where the burnt powder stain forms, I used to clean with white spirits. Nowadays I use a Brownells product called Krazy Kloth to remove the carbon stains. KK are fabric cloths impregnated with a very mild abrasive which doesn't harm the brass or attack it chemically.
My brass is spotlessly clean before entering any of my dies. I also have no trouble examining my brass for defects despite it not being bright and new looking. I also never had problems retrieving fired brass out in the sticks even though it was dull in colour. I also don't see huge amounts of black shit building up inside my cases affecting capacity except maybe with the exception of when I use Win 760.
I have found, along with others, that SS wet tumbling badlly damages the neck chamfers.
Also, over the years,  as reloading has become less of an enjoyable hobby and more of a chore I have looked to eliminate unecessary steps without compromising the end quality of my reloads. Cleaning steps (including then drying) is one of those actions I have eliminated or minimised.
That's not to say others shouldn't clean the hell out of their brass. If you get a feel good out of doing it.........

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 5:54pm
Print Post  
when using the LEE case length trimmer and then the case mouth debur/champhering tool.....the case is in the end of the cordless drill held by base....pretty easy to squeeze case in bit of poly pad or choirboy cloth and give it a wee whirl.... thats as flash as I get and Im too plurry tight to see that changing any time soon Grin Grin

IP Logged

Varmint
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
I've had a Lyman tumbler for about 25 years. I use it a lot for both rifle and pistol cases.

I get home from the range and throw the cases straight in.

I use a bit of case cleaner in with the corn cob and the cases come out like new unless they have been lying on the ground for ages where they can be still tarnished, even after cleaning.

If I was only doing 100 rounds a year, I'd probably stick to the steel wool, unless I could pick up a small tumbler really cheap. Or even one of the ultrasonic ones.

Ultrasonic will clean them very well, but they won't be brightly polished. They can be had for under $50 on Trademe.

IP Logged

jakkos
Forum Senior

There is one stop after
the trigger is pulled

Reply #5 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 7:14am
Print Post  
I made a tumbler using a geared down electric motor (about 30 rpm). a length of pvc pipe with a blank cap on one end and a threaded cap on the other. I use stainless media, water, a squirt of dishwashing detergent and a squeeze of Lemon juice. I can easily do 100 cases at a time and they come out spotless. i set the unit up in a vice, set it going and normally 30 minutes job done. Wink

be good...And careful

IP Logged

Dicko

Reply #6 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 4:41pm
Print Post  
Case cleaning is over rated. I've been their with a tumbler and dry media but now only use a bit of steel wool on the necks if there is carbon or sometimes a wear citric acid bath and baking soda wash to neutralise.

If you wear a set of dies out due to dirty brass you will likely be the first!

Dicko

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
Sorta like saying I dont give a proverbial about my action. Why clean it. You can buy a Franfort Lite and have clean brass for the rest of your loading life without breaking the bank.Interesting article about a killer in USA got caught because his dirty ammo jammed. FBI thought he was a clown.

IP Logged

6.5x55bjai
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Jul 19th, 2020 at 8:32am
Print Post  
sako wrote on Jul 18th, 2020 at 6:00pm:
Sorta like saying I dont give a proverbial about my action. Why clean it. You can buy a Franfort Lite and have clean brass for the rest of your loading life without breaking the bank.Interesting article about a killer in USA got caught because his dirty ammo jammed. FBI thought he was a clown.

Ah, that's a good enough reason to clean then. We don't want to appear to be clowns to the cops.  Smiley

IP Logged

sako
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Aug 6th, 2020 at 10:17pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards