Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Recipes for Goat that can be cooked in the bush (Read 2685 times)
bushlizard

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Recipes for Goat that can be cooked in the bush
Jul 2nd, 2020 at 11:45am
Print Post  
Some of the places I go tramping that are further into the back of beyond have a fairly reliable supply of goats on hand. 
I make quite a few goat curries at home in the slow cooker but these are usually from goat that is sourced closer to the road end and not two days walk from the car.

My thinking is that if I am in a location a long way from the road it would be easier to eat the goat on site,  especially if tramping in a group it could feed a few people/save carrying meat in.

Does anyone have any good recipes for this sort of scenario where the cookware is limited to a gas cooker and 2-3 pots & pans etc?

IP Logged

alan and sunny
Donor Member

Re: Recipes for Goat that can be cooked in the bush
Reply #1 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 11:24pm
Print Post  
I'd be tempted to try a curry like rogan josh or maybe a stir-fry just cut the meat into strips across the grain to avoid it getting tough from a quick cook.  Just try one at home to perfect your recipe

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 6:35am
Print Post  
light a fire and cook slow on that

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #3 - Jul 4th, 2020 at 5:13pm
Print Post  
Goat backsteaks cut up and put in a curry are fine. Any other cuts usually will need a slow cooker to make tender enough. And only tip the small ones over if you wish to eat it that day.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jul 5th, 2020 at 8:43pm
Print Post  
dont understand the fascination with curry myself..... just because the turban wearers normally cook goat with it DOESNT mean its the be all and end all.
if you think of goat along the lines of lean hoggot/lamb you wont go far wrong....how to cook in bush???? steak it and quick fry,salt and maybe some masterfoods mild steak seasoning....of the flavour sachet out of your 2 minute noodles if nothing else...
you wont go far wrong...if you think its a bit tough...find too rocks and give it a beating between them...its prechewing lol
young goat is very palatable.
with salt and cooked in butter MOST meat will be good.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #5 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 2:52pm
Print Post  
Had a mate who inherited a bunch of angora goats when he purchased his first farm in the late 80's. Thought they were quite cute and friendly until he saw them dozing their way under his deer fences and flogging the Deer's expensive corn meal. So we set up a rough processing line and tipped all 30 of them over in his old cattle yards.
Took my 15 back home with me and fed the neighbours and friends for quite a while on them. NOONE had even the slightest whiff that they were not tasty young hoggets. That corn meal certainly put the finishing touches to an already tasy carcass.
You develop a taste for curries when you get posted to countries that make a damn fine curry or five Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bushlizard

Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Thanks all for the suggestions.  I will do some experiments at home with some of the meat I have in the freezer and post up some conclusions in due course.

IP Logged

alan and sunny
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jul 9th, 2020 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
A bit off topic but I used to cook goat leg on the rotissery,  Lots of oil and high heat to seal it then long and slow over a low heat.  Loved by all,  most thought it was a low fat mutton.

IP Logged

bushlizard

Reply #8 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 10:44am
Print Post  
alan and sunny wrote on Jul 9th, 2020 at 9:47pm:
A bit off topic but I used to cook goat leg on the rotissery,  Lots of oil and high heat to seal it then long and slow over a low heat.  Loved by all,  most thought it was a low fat mutton.

Yes it is definitely under rated.
True story:
At a BBQ that I took a whole lot of venison and goat to,  the two got mixed together over the charcoal and differentiation of the two meats became a lost cause.
When it came to the eating,  no one could pass the
‘pepsi or coke’ challenge’ to say what was what.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards