Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kuiu gear - thoughts and opinions (Read 4178 times)
Drewís rem mag
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Kuiu gear - thoughts and opinions
Jun 27th, 2020 at 4:15am
Print Post  
Hey team, looking at investing in some kuiu gear, looking for thoughts and your opinions on the quality, fit and general info. I see that there are more guys using it. From what Iíve read the sizing is a bit different, most guys going a size bigger. Any info and feedback would be appreciated.
Cheers

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Re: Kuiu gear - thoughts and opinions
Reply #1 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
Iíve got Chugach jacket and pants - itís bloody good gear, itís seen some pretty harsh wind and wet conditions and done well. Itís expensive but the old adage applies Buy once Cry Once.
A lot of internet hunters seem to be using it - Gav Bubu For one and a lot of overseas tourist hunters So it obviously has a place.
Sizing wise Iím 6 foot and 100 kg and fit XL ok. Iíve found that I donít need as much gear on underneath as it does keep the warm in. Iím in 2 minds as to buying Any more Due to price but I am impressed with it.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Drewís rem mag
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 27th, 2020 at 7:52pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the comment radar, Iím a strong believer of buying good gear once, been saving up for a while now. Yep I have also noticed Gav, wild Nz and khan Adam are using it. Watched Gavs review on it.

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 5:31am
Print Post  
It doesnít like NZ scrub, Iíve managed to tear a small hole in my attack pants and one of the light tops has pulled to shit from pushing thru scrub.

I like there merino base layers, I ended up a size down on them and my normal size for everything else. The peloton hoody is quite warm for its weight. The best piece I got was a plain coloured Guide Jacket on sale, itís great for day to day wearing, to nice to hunt in.
Is it worth the money......? Iím not sure.

IP Logged

Drewís rem mag
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 2:07pm
Print Post  
Yeh durability is really important on such an expensive product. Cheers for the feedback.

IP Logged

Pro-active

It is not the mountain
we conquer, but ourselves.

Reply #5 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Do NZ chains stock it ?. Can you try on before you buy ?. That Peleton jacket looks interesting, thanks.

"You've got to go out on a limb sometimes because that's where the fruit is."

IP Logged

Drewís rem mag
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jun 28th, 2020 at 10:47pm
Print Post  
My understanding is no one sells it here, they only sell direct, no middle man.

IP Logged

meathunter72
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 11:51am
Print Post  
I have a bit.
Really rate the Attack pants.
Guide Jacket is pretty good to.
Have the Chugach Jacket. Wore it on a tramp in the Kaimais over the weekend. Stayed nice and warm with it and a Merino base layer. Was a bit damp underneath but that would have been due to sweat.  Grin

Keep the wind in your face and your freezer full.

IP Logged

Drewís rem mag
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2020 at 9:11pm
Print Post  
Cheers Meathunter72 appreciate the feedback. The chugach jacket was the one I had in mind aswell.

IP Logged

Sneaka
Forum Senior

I love short range hunting

Reply #9 - Jun 30th, 2020 at 9:31am
Print Post  
It is ultra light gear. I have some of it. I love my merino t shirt and peleton hoodie. Both excellent. My long sleeved merino I find too light and its thermal properties not so good. I also have the hooded super down jacket. Same thing. It is very light weight and with not much down in it. It is warmer than it looks but not near as warm as a heavier down jacket. I carry it on the hill to wear under a coat as added warmth and it is great for that. Good if things get damp too. Bottom line is you wont get incredible warmth without carrying some weight. There is always a balance there. If I had to pick the best item it would be the peleton hoodie hands down. It is made to be wet too. Actually went in to save mart a while back and there was an old olive kathmandu merino t shirt. It is a cracker and only $5  Wink I think we have some good gear sold here in NZ. I find some of the NZ gear much harder wearing.

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Jul 2nd, 2020 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
I've used some of their gear regularly over the last 4 years. The guide jacket has served me well hunting north and south island country, wouldn't go on a hunt without it. The merino long sleeve base layer is still in good nick. I have the ultra 6000 pack that's worked well with some very heavy loads. The gaitors have a couple little rips near the bottom around the ankles(no gaitors can survive central otago scrub though) they've also served me well, very breathable and comfortable. The mountain star tent works a treat too and has withstood some knarly conditions no worries. The nx ultra rain gear hasn't been thrashed yet but is very light and packs down good, I use it more for a pullover style rainwear in the bush or open tops but I'd imagine it would rip in nasty Brier/matagouri type scrub over time, it's kept me dry over several days use and dries out fast which is handy(never liked gortex once it's wet on big trips)

I haven't had any issues with the kuiu yet, once there's a sale on I'll definitely being looking at some other stuff, the performance is up there and everything is in good shape after 4 years use.

Cheers.

IP Logged

Drewís rem mag
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Jul 3rd, 2020 at 6:57pm
Print Post  
Loving the feedback team, certainly helping out with some tough decisions, think Iíll wait for it to come on special though. Looks like the merino is the go. Definitely like the look of the wet weather gear especially the weight. Keep the comments coming🤙

IP Logged

7mm-06

Reply #12 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:52pm
Print Post  
Have the attack pants, teton quarter Zip top and peloton 200 hooded top. Luv them all, hunt in the top year round, warm and breathes v/well in summer. Thermals under the pants in winter, else pants alone, warm and breathe well. Got bushed in a large blackberry Patch and the pants suffered a bit but still quite good. Always buy when on special. Must try their waterproofs next. But once, cry once! Cool

IP Logged

7mm-06

Reply #13 - Jul 29th, 2020 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
Great gear, BUY once, cry once...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards