Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Explanation of how more expensive scopes work (Read 729 times)
2506hunter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Explanation of how more expensive scopes work
Jun 10th, 2020 at 10:15pm
Print Post  
Hi there, this might be a silly question but..

I have always only hunted with your basic 3-9x40 scopes on my rifles and if I have needed to take a shot out to 250-300m I always have a mental reminder before I take the shot of how much drop my bullet has at that range and just holdover on the animal etc. I have never adjusted my scope before the shot as I don't know how accurate that would be and if the scope would have actually made the adjustment, so I tend to just leave it as soon as I've sighted my rifle in and just manually hold over, if you get what I mean?

Now, I really want to get into slightly longer range shooting, max up to 400-500metres but I need a better scope (e.g Leupold Vx5).

My question is, how do the better scopes work in terms of that top dial? It sounds similar to adjusting your scope but a more accurate dial or system. I had previously asked somebody how it works and he vaguely explained that you sight the rifle in at your preferred range (e.g zeroed at 100m). Then you take the rifle out to a range and shoot out to 200-300-400-500 etc and keep turning the dial round to a number where the rifle hits zero at that range (e.g at 200m when the dial is clicked round to 6 it is hitting zero at 200m with no holdover and you should be able to hold the crosshairs exactly where you want the bullet to hit and the scope has made the "holdover" adjustment for you) and so on with every other increment after that.

So how I see it is each increment of range you write down what number it is hitting zero at and if I saw a deer at say 400m and knew that 400m was the top dial turned round to the number 27 then I can just hold those crosshairs exactly where I want that bullet to hit and the scope does all the holdover part for me??

Sorry I know I repeated myself alot then but I'm bloody confused about it all and would love to wrap my head around it.

Cheers!

YEH GOOD MATE!

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Re: Explanation of how more expensive scopes work
Reply #1 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Hi there 2506hunter
There will be people out there that have used them heaps that will explain how they work better. But I will tell you one thing, or maybe a few.

I was same as you just held over, shot out only to two hundred meters.  Then I got a sig scope as part of a package. I could send away for turrets, which you send your ballistic's to them and they send you a turret which replaces the scope adjustment.
These are awesome but the important bit, you need a zero stop, that is so important. It is when you unwind back to your previous determined zero it will stop there. My one would just keep winding, so you never new if you had gone back the right amount or had gone one or two turns to much. Or it moved in the bush.

I ended up taking them off and going back to the non adjustable.

But would be so good with an orange finder and a zero stop.

IP Logged

2506hunter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Explanation of how more expensive scopes work
Reply #2 - Jun 11th, 2020 at 9:17pm
Print Post  
That's the bigger! A turret is the name I was looking for. Yes sounds like a zero stop would be good for them. Orange finder??

YEH GOOD MATE!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards