Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic double banger on stags (Read 4373 times)
rooshoot
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

double banger on stags
Jun 9th, 2020 at 6:42pm
Print Post  
A while ago I posted a story about shooting 2 ten inch chamois bucks in 2 consecutive hunts after looking for one for over 20 years!  Well it gets better..  I hadnt shot a decent stag since 2016 and was starting to wonder what the heck was going on!!  Had looked over several hundreds of deer but the next best thing was avoiding my presence! Anyway after lockdown my mate and I had a feeling it could be the perfect storm for a stag hunt and to say we were fizzing would be an understatement. We headed into a spot ive hunted a few times. Plenty of animals in said area but never seen a mature stag of any consequence.  First evening in there i spotted what i knew was a shooter.  We were up high and he was down in the valley still hangin with the ladies in late may.  Satellite stags hangin around also play fighting.  A super on edge stalk past alot of animals resulted in a 12 pointer that I was absolutely wrapt with! 

Next day after a seriously gnarly climb up to try to access a certain valley and then a figurenails job to get down thru a little chute and into it. We were looking over a swag of deer.  From about 1.5km I had picked up what I believed to be a solid 8 pointer in the 35ish inch bracket.  To hunt this guy would require a couple of hundred meter descent into the valley floor and then a stroll way up into the head basin to make the shot.
  My mate is fairly new to hunting but already has some great experience and knowledge.  He decided this stag would do him nicely.  In the meantime though he had caught sight of an animal only briefly.  He saw antler and a flash of very large body and had a feeling that there was a good stag down there somewhere.  However the old "bird in the hand idea" had him deciding to go after the one up in the head basin.  He headed off down into valley while I sat on a knob for the arvo to continue watching various deer and see if a big boy would emerge.  By the time my bud Mat was 2 thirds of the way up to the stag I was watching 3 young stags mucking around down below me.  Suddenly one of the stags lurched away and from around the corner a solid looking stag came marching in to give orders.  I quickly counted what I thought came to 13 points.  I messaged my mate on the inreach and told him about the big fella.  By now the big guy had dissappeared behind the spur again.  My mate said "what shall I do?? turn around and come back??"  I wasnt prepared to interfere in that decision. My mate decided to stay on course and I sat for another hour or two and filmed an epic stalk on what turned out to be a solid 35 inch 10 pointer from 1.5km away.  To cut a long story short, in the meantime the wind had changed a hind below me had spooked and taken one of the younger stags with her.  I did a summary in my head.  My mate has shot a stag, the wind has changed, time is getting on.  hmmm if that 13 is tucked up high enough in the next gut as to not have had a gutfull of my wind and I find him he's goin down!!  I got down to valley floor headed round the spur and that's exactly what happened.  To say it was an epic hunt wouldnt cut it!!  It was absolutely fantastic.  One of those dream hunts.  Good mate.  spectacular country and dream stags!!  Cheers guys, hope you enjoyed the adventure!!  P.s the 13 fell into a rocky creek bed and chipped off a few tips and broke one small top tine completely.  Have just done a repair job and it's come up great.

IP Logged

rooshoot
Donor Member

Re: double banger on stags
Reply #1 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
I forgot to add the moral of the story.  If you hunting hard and not having success.. carry on, it will come!

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 7:54pm
Print Post  
that is alot of timber, and a hell of a carry.
well done and thanks for the post.
Smiley

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #3 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 4:34am
Print Post  
What a great couple of heads. Well done, and they had the whole of lockdown to breed. Win win.
Good write up.

IP Logged

264Magic
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Cool Cool Cool Cool

It is much better to Hit the Animal in the right place, with a Rifle you can shoot well, then to hit it poorly with a Large Calibre..John Nosler

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 6:13pm
Print Post  
great you got your mate a decent stag at same time...as said above,they have spent last month doing the "funky chicken" so have passed on the genes already.

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #6 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 6:13pm:
great you got your mate a decent stag at same time...as said above,they have spent last month doing the "funky chicken" so have passed on the genes already.

What does your wife say when you ask if she wants to do the "funky chicken".
You don't have to answer that, actually probably better you don't. 

I just couldn't let a comment like that go unchecked.

Back on topic.

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #7 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 7:33pm
Print Post  
Good hunting and results guys.Thanks for yr story.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Nomads
Donor Member

Angler, hunter, gardener,
cook

Reply #8 - Jun 10th, 2020 at 7:39pm
Print Post  
DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter) wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 6:23pm:
Micky Duck wrote on Jun 10th, 2020 at 6:13pm:

What does your wife say when you ask if she wants to do the "funky chicken".
You don't have to answer that, actually probably better you don't.†

I just couldn't let a comment like that go unchecked.

Back on topic.

"Get stuffed" ?

Sorry MD

Like a cane chair at a nudist camp, always leave an impression.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #9 - Jun 12th, 2020 at 10:28am
Print Post  
Nice animals, I too had a hard period; 5 years without putting one on the ground - nothing zilch nada, sen some but none on the ground, wife was looking at me funny and giving me stick until the day I broke that drought - havenít looked back.....your quote says it all.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Jun 13th, 2020 at 7:10am
Print Post  
Great trip!

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #11 - Jun 14th, 2020 at 2:51pm
Print Post  
Great effort!

IP Logged

TJ
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

EBRG forever- Cher, cher
Bro

Reply #12 - Jun 15th, 2020 at 1:57pm
Print Post  
Some very nice bone floating around these days long

IP Logged

IdahoHunter

Reply #13 - Jul 6th, 2020 at 3:52pm
Print Post  
Nice stags

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards