Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Paddock hunt (Read 2406 times)
mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Paddock hunt
Jun 7th, 2020 at 8:01pm
Print Post  
.Well got the green light from farmer late last night,So it was all go,Only to find out hunting mates were either away hunting or doing jobs around the house,So it was a solo hunt,Arrived at paddock,only to discover 🦆 were already there, As the full moon was out and about, Never mind it is what it is,So set up and ready by 7.30,not daylight enough yet,Didnít take long to wait for the first customers to arrive,I was daylight enough to see 4 drakes, So three shots later,3 dead drakes,Gun pinned to 3 shot,Had a few easy misses,Birds to close for choke,Had a mob of 15 and a mob of 8 turn up,but let them go,no good educating lots and getting a couple,By 9am it was all over with 7 drakes and 3 hens,It was good to lay in blind and have 🦆 flying into decoys, So a quick txt to farmer and asked if pigeons are on the list,It was a big fat yes,So with duck flight drying off, It was pigeons next,So 22 less,It was off home for a hot drink and shower,drying gear out,Handy hint,if anyone is thinking about getting a kicks high flyer choke just remember it shoots tighter,For instinct I have a imp cylinder but it shoots as tight as a mod,So the close birds you either have to be on the money,cause itís tight patteren, But the once out about 20-30 meters perfect for imp cylinder,Was using shot size 2 3/4 inch 5s,4s,3s,Got photos on phone but since photobucket no go,not sure how to go about posting them, Wink Wink,Happy hunting a

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Paddock hunt
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 4:50pm
Print Post  
good stuff.....some days I miss the double barrel with different choke options,other days I just shoot stuff and be happy LOL.took classic double on opening weekend at measured 45 yards with side by side with NO choke at all.....it got sawn off and too much was taken leaving no constriction (not by me)
seeing a pattern on mud at 32yards from BILs SxS with 3/4 choke it sure is tight pattern....no more than metre wide at most.
different shells pattern wider....XPERT is a good one for that,the oddball shaped shot helps it spread....you could by fancypants sheels with cubes etc if your pockets are deep....50 quid to knob of goose turd,you do that and birds will be 50 yards out...

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #2 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 7:18pm
Print Post  
Thanks Mickey duck,Iím not fancy pants for that ammo,makes the ducks to dear lol,Thatís why I stagger my rounds,last year I tried 7 1/2 steel for the first shot on pond shooting and some paddock shooting it was deadly close up ie 15-20 meters and didnít make a mess of the meat,We have been trying a few things over the years,Pattering pattering is the key to see what gun is doing, Smiley Smiley,People are forgetting itís density that kills,

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 7:26pm
Print Post  
bet the birds shot with 7.5s were "interesting" to eat.......
density that kills....hmmmm when our son was graduating from .410 to .12ga  I loaded up 50 rounds with either 7/8th oz of #4s  or 1 oz of #2s   steel loads going 1500fps  or there abouts.
they killed ducks just as dead as any other load we use....Im a fan of the 30 and 32grm loadings in .12ga steel in size #3  they just seem to work,without the boot.
I bought 2 boxes of kent ammo this season   1 1/8th   and 1 1/4oz   with intention to find which one worked best.
I ended up shooting 35grm 2 3/4" loads left over from last year and some new remington loads of the same....we were killing birds out to 45 yards without issue IF we put pattern in right place.
re meat damage..we prefer the #2-3 loadings as MOST of the pellets pass right through.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards