Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) done it now!!!! (Read 15442 times)
Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

done it now!!!!
Jun 6th, 2020 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
After years of umming and aggghhhing I finally are the owner of a hunting capable bow.takedown 50lb recurve wood n glass laminate to be precise.
got it home and attempted to restring....over 4 days tried 6-8 times without sucess..finally in desperation got good wife to help me as was trying just before going off to bed (she later tells me she thought better help incase I got wedding tackle caught in string Embarrassed Embarrassed) BINGO.... job done
so I thought to self there must be easier way,google says bow restringer.....quick look...FFS how simple can it be???? will stich up a length of light transport tie down and should be Jake in future
having good readup it would appear if bow not going to be left for long period of time without useage,eg more than a few weeks,leave the jolly thing strung seems to be consensus....
looking at cheap broadheads...dirt cheap it seems..arrows not so much.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Re: done it now!!!!
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Wrist guard and finger protection mate! Otherwise it gonna hurt😂

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Gold tip traditional will be your best affordable arrow. Also go with a quality broad head. VPA are a good starting point. Dont be scared of arrow weight- get some weight into the front of your arrow and you will get better results easier in my opinion.
What make is the bow?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
58'' INTERNATIONAL TD Hunter.....came from ozzie.
have wrist guard and use 8''nylon strap for release aid....looped on middle finger around string and held between thumb and index finger...works rather well...
so arrows???? spine size????diametre???? guess if diameter is same all is good,saw other thread where two diametres = two aiming/impact points.

IP Logged

Timfin

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Welcome aboard. Unfortunately they don't tell you how incredibly difficult the recurve bow is to learn. Its a long and frustrating time but also very rewarding etc. I live remote and have not been able to learn from someone with experience so have made a lot of mistakes so if possible join a club to avoid as many of these as possible.
Everybodys bows/armlenghts are different so it means arrows are unique to archer and bow.
Although 50lb seems a good starting point you will progress and learn much easier if you buy some 30lb limbs for your bow and learn correct from the start.
The best way to sort arrows for me was the bare arrow paper tune which basically means you have to build your own arrows while you tune to your bow(google it)
at a guess I would say 400 spine arrow with a heavy broadhead or target tip but a shorter 500 spine may work but depends on your draw length.
I spent a lot of time cruising the yank bow sites, very worthwhile.
Good luck

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
cheers Tim.....the easton chart seems to suggest a stiff arrow 350ish spline.... my wallet/budget tends to suggest it could get costly quickly.

IP Logged

Timfin

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I use 500spine on my 45lb limbs and 400spine on my 55lb limbs, but as I said all depends on arrow length/draw length/tip weight. A longer arrow will bend easier so you will need a lighter tip however shorter arrow (of the same spine) is stiffer and will need heaver tip, (all being equal). I too thought the recurve bow was going the simple option, how wrong I was.... all good fun though.

IP Logged

Timfin

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
if you go the 350 spine go longer arrows and you can add weight up front to make them more bendy, it does mean they fly slower and I would think you would have to add quite a lot of weight. Hence if you can try before buy that is the go.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 5:02pm
Print Post  
got some muscles letting me know they are there today.
spent 2 hours at archery club today..awesome people and the coaching was invaluable.....learnt a few things....first off Im supposed to have all 3 fingers below the arrow...not 1 above n 2 below....
foot position
using shoulder not arm muscles
came home and got the little 35lb bow out...fitted arrow rest and put sight back on other side of bow...
ten minutes later I was putting arrows closer to bullseye than had all afternoon...guess 35lb VS 50lb and a sight does help.....fingers are tender....all is good.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Great to hear of your progress MD. I've been thinking about getting into a bit of recurve bowing. Looking at the info in this thread I might start with a 30 or 35lb one and build up from there.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2020 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
yes shooting next to me today was a wee tacker of about 8-10yr old....with 15lb bow doing much better than I was...learning correct technique BEFORE applying power might have been wiser option.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 6:51am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Jul 12th, 2020 at 5:02pm:
got some muscles letting me know they are there today.
spent 2 hours at archery club today..awesome people and the coaching was invaluable.....learnt a few things....first off Im supposed to have all 3 fingers below the arrow...not 1 above n 2 below....
foot position
using shoulder not arm muscles
came home and got the little 35lb bow out...fitted arrow rest and put sight back on other side of bow...
ten minutes later I was putting arrows closer to bullseye than had all afternoon...guess 35lb VS 50lb and a sight does help.....fingers are tender....all is good.

Not sure why you were told that? Either 3 under or split finger are both effective string grips. In fact you will find most bows are tillered for split release unless you ask for one to be built for 3 under.

As you progress and learn, try both. One will naturally work for you and your bow better than the other.

3 under often reduces finger pinch and allows for string walking as an aiming system.

Split will often reduce vibration in your limbs if bow is tillered for split and in my case, I found it allowed me to more consistently find my anchor and gave me a better trajectory.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Jul 13th, 2020 at 6:43pm
Print Post  
ok thanks Shanks....I have a nifty wee gadget..actually a 8" piece of light transport strop....it loops around saturday night finger and is held between index and thumb....around string...slight loosening of thumb and ping away it goes....sort of a red neck release aid.....while Im being coached I will "do as told" and experiment at home.
poked another 30 odd holes in butt board tonight with the wee 35lb bow....to stretch out the tired muscles and try to lock it into memory.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 5:50pm
Print Post  
I cant picture your release aid.... Need photos.

On that subject- I would suggest not training with two different methods of release. You will just confuse yourself as a release aid uses different muscles and movements than fingers.

There is a video I posted some years ago, ill find again and post it up, its of me sneaking in on some reds and then missing an easy shot over top. That happened because i was playing with different form and releases at the time, and in the moment got the two mixed when I was relying on sub conscious and muscle memory

Muscle memory is your friend, as long a you start practicing with good form- its your enemy if you introduce bad habit.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 5:52pm
Print Post  

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
yip spot on advice....I tried the piece of strap...and rejected it really quickly.....put my 6" thick foam mattress behind my makeshift butts and tried the 50lb bow too....tried leather glove as well as finger tabs...my fingers are tender,so didnt shoot off too many arrows,maybe 30...
spent last night pondering sight options..... found two correctly threaded screws to fit the riveted nuts in bow.....
pondered it some more...and some more....then thought to self.bugger it whats to loose??? so bent a light piece of wire 16 or 20 guage and slipped it over one screw,around bow and back on self onto other...then let a couple of arrows go....bent it a little...let some more go...yip about right.... then back from 10 yards to 15 and tried again....
have ended up with VERY crude sight. a kink in wire at correct place and two wires one for 10 and the other bit for 15 yards...will try it again tomorrow and see......guess its a little like setting sigths on rifle.... it did sort of tighten my grouping if you can call bucket lid a grouping ???
at least it gives me some idea where arrow going to land.....on Sunday I put one in top board above butt..maybe 4feet above bull at 10 yards Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
working on consistant form...locking that knuckle into jaw,feet at right angles and back straight..... have to learn the rules before learning to bend them.
muscles feel better today,guess if I keep practicing they will be fine and build up soon enough.... funny watching the pro who was coaching me shoot...he was shaking/quivering at full draw too and pretty darn sure he not using 50 lb bow LOL.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
muscles much better today...poked another 20 holes in back board/butt
still minute of bucket lid but feeling more confident each session ,finger still tender,starting to use leather glove,seems better than anything else Ive tried.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Shankspony wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 5:52pm:

great bit of stalking...saw the 2 deer...then...oh its 3....oh hangon its FIVE...... country looks a lot like some down here.
thanks for posting link....
made MK2 bowsite tonight..SS welding wire bent and bent some more....gives me 2 apertures that I can see 8" bull through at 15 yards...top one pretty close at 10 yards,2nd pretty close at 15 yards....should be able to hold over nicely for 20-25...will find out when get accurate enough to try it without risking arrow flying off into wild blue yonder or skewering neighbours.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Cheers.

Honestly Micky, Dont worry about the sight. I know its really frustrating but if you just chuck arrows at targets for long enough, your brain will learn to do the sighting for you. It can take time, as in a year or so, but just send at 10 meters and keep shooting. It will come. then 15. then 20, then start mixing up the ranges.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #19 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
dug out my old scrap bits of leather and made me some finger tabs/guards.....first group OK
2ND group put all 6 inside the 8" bull at 12 yards......happy as a dog with two dicks Cheesy Cheesy
went inside then,good to leave well enough alone for a while.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
consistantly poking 3-4 out of 6 into that 8" bull and the ones that arent ...well not too far away...got home just before dark. first 6 arrows3inside 2" bull 2 inside 8" bull and 1 just out side.....went back to 15 yards...3 inside 8" back to 12 for 2 more groups then came inside happy. funny shooting when cant see arrows in board. starting to enjoy it and muscles fine for first 12 arrows....then shake comes in to play...will improve Im sure when muscles adapt.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
managed 10 out of 11 inside the 8" bull today at 13 yards....

???? how many shots/shafts/arrows do you fellas fire/let go down range in a session???? and what are the correct terms to use???

just did 50 and can feel muscles...must be building up slowly.

changed fletch's on  one arrow as the plastic ones were getting very tatty...grey goose wing feathers ,should've used the skinnier ones from further out on wing...noisy but flies straight...sure spins well. must have been VERY intimidating advancing on enemy with hundreds of arrows all whirring down upon you.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Dont worry about how many others shoot, do what you feel is good. The great thing about archery is its got many solutions.
For me I kind of know when I have over done it as my shooting deteriorates. thats a good point to stop and once you have an idea of how many shots it takes you, then stop a bit earlier.
Are you shooting off a rest or off the shelf? if off the shelf you will find feathers should shoot better than plastic vanes.

and never thought about what the correct term is. Any of the above works I think.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
cheers bud....rest is a coiled spring with end poking forwards....seems to work fine. poked a few shafts in target with wee 35lb fibreglass straight bow....its ok for what it is and gives muscles a bit of work.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
poked out nearly 50 tonight...the last 13 were 3 different types of arrow.6 carbon 5 aloy and 2 wooden...1 of the aloy has been refletched with grey goose flight feathers.....all went within 9'' of bull....actually make that 9'' group so 4.5'' of centre of bull
rather chuffed with that... did first few groups ,then tried bowstring to nose and not use sight....yeah wasnt bad at all and the 3-4'' less draw length is pleasant...then two groups of 6 full draw back to jaw...then the 13 arrow group.... the more relaxed I can be the better.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Mate I shoot 30 a session max most of the time itís more like 20 but making sure I do everything in my power to make them all count - I use an 9 inch Reinhardt ball and up to 35y put 100% of them in the ball, it drops from there but Iím averaging 60% at 50y With the rest probably inside 12 inches. Theyíre usually touching or Damned close.
Yeah Iím using a compound and Iíve watched these American guys On vids shooting 150y but I donít want or need that range.
As Shanks said practise practise practise 🤟🏼

' I am the storm'
Toys
Baikal .223 Spartan

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
seems carbon arrows dont like practise,practise,practise...have one with loose nock....have glued it back in and wrapped it with insulation tape....Ive done two arrows front half of shaft with silage tape sort of a heavy duty wide insulation tape...if you can buy commercial arrow wraps I figgured it would be ok...still shoot same as before and seem to group in same place as non wrapped....bit spooked re carbon arrows exploding now...next lot will be alloy to hell with the cost....

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #27 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 6:23am
Print Post  
What brand of arrow are you using?

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #28 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 8:05am
Print Post  
they came from hawker supplies...no branding so probably from covidland.....my bad,brand new off trademe.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews, Leica and Nikon

Reply #29 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Just get quality Easton or Victory brand arrows/shafts.
Talk to Kevin or Carol at Advanced Archery
I wouldn't wrap the front of the arrows, arrow wraps are for the rear where the vanes/fletches glue on
If you are getting splitting at the ends of the shafts its probably because the end of the shaft isn't trued and therefore one point is taking all the load, rather the the whole circumference. An arrow truer is cheap and will put an end to this. But don't disregard all carbon arrows because you have a bad experience with poorly made cheap ones.

This tool does aluminium shafts or carbon
https://www.advancedarchery.co.nz/collections/arrows-arrow-building/products/g5-...

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #30 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Yeah you got to watch some of the cheap imports. Use them on goats and chuck the ones that look dodgy. Also many have quite a bit of error on their reported spine. It can see you struggle for accuracy if the spine is out from arrow to arrow and thats not good when you are learning and presuming any mistake is your own.

My go too arrow is the Gold tip traditional's they carry a bit extra weight and Ive got arrows here that are 5+ years old and fired hundreds of shots with no failings.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #31 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
mate....wish we HAD goats close by....very very few and far between in this part of country...wallabies are closest we have.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #32 - Aug 12th, 2020 at 6:41am
Print Post  
You could try to those hairy mountain goats DOC are trying to decimate🤣

' I am the storm'
Toys
Baikal .223 Spartan

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #33 - Aug 12th, 2020 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
mate......you got to be VERY skilled to get within 150 yards of them let alone 15!!!!
if I want to pot one of them the mighty poohseventy will do the job fine n dandy LOL.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #34 - Jun 7th, 2021 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
took bow up after wallabies today.....broke 4 broadheads amoung the rocks,didnt loose arrow in tussock,but found one someone else had....managed to hole a wallaby at all of about 8 yards,good solid hit too... it went 20 yards and stopped,leaking like a sieve, put another arrow in it,retrieved both arrows,one  broken broadhead....blood trail very heavy,and then went down steep bank into lawyer and crap...so there it stayed,no point in endangering myself in steep country like that,animal was dead on feet as it tipped over edge of bank.
so Ive scratched the itch...dont think its for me... surprised by that as always always thought it would be.... I think its the same as when I used subsonics in centrefire rifles, I just like animals to tip over and stay tipped over instantly,maybe in open country without all these darn rocks and vines I would look at it differently...will sit on it for week or two.
cant blame the range.it took all energy that was there to take,really surprised me it didnt fall over right there as arrow didnt through n through so hit major resistance,middle of back facing away,probably lightsn liver gone,deep red blood and loads of it.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #35 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 10:50am
Print Post  
As I said on the phone, you will always have a few days where you learn so much. Weíve all, well I certainly have had days where it didnít go as I planned. Having to man up and admit it didnít is a good humbling experience but one we can all learn from.
In the end you still got feet on the ground, an animal - ok unrecoverable, but it still came together. You might like to see if you can use muzzy broadheads, the ones that you fit in together - that way you only swap out the blade that breaks not the whole head.
Character build mate🤟🏼😎👍

' I am the storm'
Toys
Baikal .223 Spartan

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #36 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
thanks mate..... pretty certain it wont change my mind.... the not being able to finish off wounded animal 10 yards away due to vegetation screen...really got to me.
I played extensively with subsonic loads in the 308 and in the end ditched them for similar reasons.....I guess all the years of using mighty .270 win Ive got used to animals dropping on spot quick smartly...... will see if anyone interested in buying bow at price Im asking....

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #37 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Its got to be something you have a passion for! If you have tried it, and it doesn't float your boat, then good on you for trying and making a decision.

It is definitely frustrating and requires a massive amount of patience, time and effort.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #38 - Jun 9th, 2021 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
thanks bud,I appreciate it.
hopefully I can find a good home for the bow.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #39 - Jun 9th, 2021 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Or keep it and use it as a bit of time out in the yard. Even if you dont want to hunt with it, its quite relaxing flinging a few arrows at targets in your spare time. Always hard to get back what you payed for archery gear.

IP Logged

Elite32
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jun 10th, 2021 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
When we chase wallabies we spend the first couple of evenings with the bow then switch to the rifle. Saves on arrows. Having said that only lost 1 in the last 3 trips. Guess I'm getting fussy what I shoot at, bad backdrop no shot saves money!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #41 - Jun 10th, 2021 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
found a home for it.....so happy all around,still have lower lb bow for the backyard bit if urge strikes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards