Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic done it now!!!! (Read 2459 times)
Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

done it now!!!!
Jun 6th, 2020 at 9:04pm
Print Post  
After years of umming and aggghhhing I finally are the owner of a hunting capable bow.takedown 50lb recurve wood n glass laminate to be precise.
got it home and attempted to restring....over 4 days tried 6-8 times without sucess..finally in desperation got good wife to help me as was trying just before going off to bed (she later tells me she thought better help incase I got wedding tackle caught in string Embarrassed Embarrassed) BINGO.... job done
so I thought to self there must be easier way,google says bow restringer.....quick look...FFS how simple can it be???? will stich up a length of light transport tie down and should be Jake in future
having good readup it would appear if bow not going to be left for long period of time without useage,eg more than a few weeks,leave the jolly thing strung seems to be consensus....
looking at cheap broadheads...dirt cheap it seems..arrows not so much.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Re: done it now!!!!
Reply #1 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Wrist guard and finger protection mate! Otherwise it gonna hurt😂

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Gold tip traditional will be your best affordable arrow. Also go with a quality broad head. VPA are a good starting point. Dont be scared of arrow weight- get some weight into the front of your arrow and you will get better results easier in my opinion.
What make is the bow?

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 4:56pm
Print Post  
58'' INTERNATIONAL TD Hunter.....came from ozzie.
have wrist guard and use 8''nylon strap for release aid....looped on middle finger around string and held between thumb and index finger...works rather well...
so arrows???? spine size????diametre???? guess if diameter is same all is good,saw other thread where two diametres = two aiming/impact points.

IP Logged

Timfin

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 2:49pm
Print Post  
Welcome aboard. Unfortunately they don't tell you how incredibly difficult the recurve bow is to learn. Its a long and frustrating time but also very rewarding etc. I live remote and have not been able to learn from someone with experience so have made a lot of mistakes so if possible join a club to avoid as many of these as possible.
Everybodys bows/armlenghts are different so it means arrows are unique to archer and bow.
Although 50lb seems a good starting point you will progress and learn much easier if you buy some 30lb limbs for your bow and learn correct from the start.
The best way to sort arrows for me was the bare arrow paper tune which basically means you have to build your own arrows while you tune to your bow(google it)
at a guess I would say 400 spine arrow with a heavy broadhead or target tip but a shorter 500 spine may work but depends on your draw length.
I spent a lot of time cruising the yank bow sites, very worthwhile.
Good luck

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jun 18th, 2020 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
cheers Tim.....the easton chart seems to suggest a stiff arrow 350ish spline.... my wallet/budget tends to suggest it could get costly quickly.

IP Logged

Timfin

Reply #6 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 8:53pm
Print Post  
Yeah, I use 500spine on my 45lb limbs and 400spine on my 55lb limbs, but as I said all depends on arrow length/draw length/tip weight. A longer arrow will bend easier so you will need a lighter tip however shorter arrow (of the same spine) is stiffer and will need heaver tip, (all being equal). I too thought the recurve bow was going the simple option, how wrong I was.... all good fun though.

IP Logged

Timfin

Reply #7 - Jun 19th, 2020 at 8:58pm
Print Post  
if you go the 350 spine go longer arrows and you can add weight up front to make them more bendy, it does mean they fly slower and I would think you would have to add quite a lot of weight. Hence if you can try before buy that is the go.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards