Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3]  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) done it now!!!! (Read 15443 times)
Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: done it now!!!!
Reply #30 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 3:33pm
Print Post  
Yeah you got to watch some of the cheap imports. Use them on goats and chuck the ones that look dodgy. Also many have quite a bit of error on their reported spine. It can see you struggle for accuracy if the spine is out from arrow to arrow and thats not good when you are learning and presuming any mistake is your own.

My go too arrow is the Gold tip traditional's they carry a bit extra weight and Ive got arrows here that are 5+ years old and fired hundreds of shots with no failings.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #31 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 5:08pm
Print Post  
mate....wish we HAD goats close by....very very few and far between in this part of country...wallabies are closest we have.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #32 - Aug 12th, 2020 at 6:41am
Print Post  
You could try to those hairy mountain goats DOC are trying to decimate🤣

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #33 - Aug 12th, 2020 at 6:22pm
Print Post  
mate......you got to be VERY skilled to get within 150 yards of them let alone 15!!!!
if I want to pot one of them the mighty poohseventy will do the job fine n dandy LOL.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #34 - Jun 7th, 2021 at 4:37pm
Print Post  
took bow up after wallabies today.....broke 4 broadheads amoung the rocks,didnt loose arrow in tussock,but found one someone else had....managed to hole a wallaby at all of about 8 yards,good solid hit too... it went 20 yards and stopped,leaking like a sieve, put another arrow in it,retrieved both arrows,one  broken broadhead....blood trail very heavy,and then went down steep bank into lawyer and crap...so there it stayed,no point in endangering myself in steep country like that,animal was dead on feet as it tipped over edge of bank.
so Ive scratched the itch...dont think its for me... surprised by that as always always thought it would be.... I think its the same as when I used subsonics in centrefire rifles, I just like animals to tip over and stay tipped over instantly,maybe in open country without all these darn rocks and vines I would look at it differently...will sit on it for week or two.
cant blame the range.it took all energy that was there to take,really surprised me it didnt fall over right there as arrow didnt through n through so hit major resistance,middle of back facing away,probably lightsn liver gone,deep red blood and loads of it.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #35 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 10:50am
Print Post  
As I said on the phone, you will always have a few days where you learn so much. Weíve all, well I certainly have had days where it didnít go as I planned. Having to man up and admit it didnít is a good humbling experience but one we can all learn from.
In the end you still got feet on the ground, an animal - ok unrecoverable, but it still came together. You might like to see if you can use muzzy broadheads, the ones that you fit in together - that way you only swap out the blade that breaks not the whole head.
Character build mate🤟🏼😎👍

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #36 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 5:53pm
Print Post  
thanks mate..... pretty certain it wont change my mind.... the not being able to finish off wounded animal 10 yards away due to vegetation screen...really got to me.
I played extensively with subsonic loads in the 308 and in the end ditched them for similar reasons.....I guess all the years of using mighty .270 win Ive got used to animals dropping on spot quick smartly...... will see if anyone interested in buying bow at price Im asking....

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #37 - Jun 8th, 2021 at 9:50pm
Print Post  
Its got to be something you have a passion for! If you have tried it, and it doesn't float your boat, then good on you for trying and making a decision.

It is definitely frustrating and requires a massive amount of patience, time and effort.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #38 - Jun 9th, 2021 at 5:49pm
Print Post  
thanks bud,I appreciate it.
hopefully I can find a good home for the bow.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #39 - Jun 9th, 2021 at 5:58pm
Print Post  
Or keep it and use it as a bit of time out in the yard. Even if you dont want to hunt with it, its quite relaxing flinging a few arrows at targets in your spare time. Always hard to get back what you payed for archery gear.

IP Logged

Elite32
Ex Member

Reply #40 - Jun 10th, 2021 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
When we chase wallabies we spend the first couple of evenings with the bow then switch to the rifle. Saves on arrows. Having said that only lost 1 in the last 3 trips. Guess I'm getting fussy what I shoot at, bad backdrop no shot saves money!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #41 - Jun 10th, 2021 at 6:00pm
Print Post  
found a home for it.....so happy all around,still have lower lb bow for the backyard bit if urge strikes.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 2 [3] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards