Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3  Send TopicPrint
Hot Topic (More than 30 Replies) done it now!!!! (Read 4555 times)
Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: done it now!!!!
Reply #15 - Jul 14th, 2020 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
yip spot on advice....I tried the piece of strap...and rejected it really quickly.....put my 6" thick foam mattress behind my makeshift butts and tried the 50lb bow too....tried leather glove as well as finger tabs...my fingers are tender,so didnt shoot off too many arrows,maybe 30...
spent last night pondering sight options..... found two correctly threaded screws to fit the riveted nuts in bow.....
pondered it some more...and some more....then thought to self.bugger it whats to loose??? so bent a light piece of wire 16 or 20 guage and slipped it over one screw,around bow and back on self onto other...then let a couple of arrows go....bent it a little...let some more go...yip about right.... then back from 10 yards to 15 and tried again....
have ended up with VERY crude sight. a kink in wire at correct place and two wires one for 10 and the other bit for 15 yards...will try it again tomorrow and see......guess its a little like setting sigths on rifle.... it did sort of tighten my grouping if you can call bucket lid a grouping ???
at least it gives me some idea where arrow going to land.....on Sunday I put one in top board above butt..maybe 4feet above bull at 10 yards Embarrassed Embarrassed Embarrassed
working on consistant form...locking that knuckle into jaw,feet at right angles and back straight..... have to learn the rules before learning to bend them.
muscles feel better today,guess if I keep practicing they will be fine and build up soon enough.... funny watching the pro who was coaching me shoot...he was shaking/quivering at full draw too and pretty darn sure he not using 50 lb bow LOL.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #16 - Jul 16th, 2020 at 5:19pm
Print Post  
muscles much better today...poked another 20 holes in back board/butt
still minute of bucket lid but feeling more confident each session ,finger still tender,starting to use leather glove,seems better than anything else Ive tried.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #17 - Jul 17th, 2020 at 9:42pm
Print Post  
Shankspony wrote on Jul 14th, 2020 at 5:52pm:

great bit of stalking...saw the 2 deer...then...oh its 3....oh hangon its FIVE...... country looks a lot like some down here.
thanks for posting link....
made MK2 bowsite tonight..SS welding wire bent and bent some more....gives me 2 apertures that I can see 8" bull through at 15 yards...top one pretty close at 10 yards,2nd pretty close at 15 yards....should be able to hold over nicely for 20-25...will find out when get accurate enough to try it without risking arrow flying off into wild blue yonder or skewering neighbours.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #18 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 9:11am
Print Post  
Cheers.

Honestly Micky, Dont worry about the sight. I know its really frustrating but if you just chuck arrows at targets for long enough, your brain will learn to do the sighting for you. It can take time, as in a year or so, but just send at 10 meters and keep shooting. It will come. then 15. then 20, then start mixing up the ranges.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #19 - Jul 18th, 2020 at 1:22pm
Print Post  
dug out my old scrap bits of leather and made me some finger tabs/guards.....first group OK
2ND group put all 6 inside the 8" bull at 12 yards......happy as a dog with two dicks Cheesy Cheesy
went inside then,good to leave well enough alone for a while.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #20 - Jul 21st, 2020 at 9:12pm
Print Post  
consistantly poking 3-4 out of 6 into that 8" bull and the ones that arent ...well not too far away...got home just before dark. first 6 arrows3inside 2" bull 2 inside 8" bull and 1 just out side.....went back to 15 yards...3 inside 8" back to 12 for 2 more groups then came inside happy. funny shooting when cant see arrows in board. starting to enjoy it and muscles fine for first 12 arrows....then shake comes in to play...will improve Im sure when muscles adapt.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #21 - Aug 2nd, 2020 at 4:01pm
Print Post  
managed 10 out of 11 inside the 8" bull today at 13 yards....

???? how many shots/shafts/arrows do you fellas fire/let go down range in a session???? and what are the correct terms to use???

just did 50 and can feel muscles...must be building up slowly.

changed fletch's on  one arrow as the plastic ones were getting very tatty...grey goose wing feathers ,should've used the skinnier ones from further out on wing...noisy but flies straight...sure spins well. must have been VERY intimidating advancing on enemy with hundreds of arrows all whirring down upon you.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #22 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 3:20pm
Print Post  
Dont worry about how many others shoot, do what you feel is good. The great thing about archery is its got many solutions.
For me I kind of know when I have over done it as my shooting deteriorates. thats a good point to stop and once you have an idea of how many shots it takes you, then stop a bit earlier.
Are you shooting off a rest or off the shelf? if off the shelf you will find feathers should shoot better than plastic vanes.

and never thought about what the correct term is. Any of the above works I think.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #23 - Aug 3rd, 2020 at 6:50pm
Print Post  
cheers bud....rest is a coiled spring with end poking forwards....seems to work fine. poked a few shafts in target with wee 35lb fibreglass straight bow....its ok for what it is and gives muscles a bit of work.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #24 - Aug 5th, 2020 at 6:23pm
Print Post  
poked out nearly 50 tonight...the last 13 were 3 different types of arrow.6 carbon 5 aloy and 2 wooden...1 of the aloy has been refletched with grey goose flight feathers.....all went within 9'' of bull....actually make that 9'' group so 4.5'' of centre of bull
rather chuffed with that... did first few groups ,then tried bowstring to nose and not use sight....yeah wasnt bad at all and the 3-4'' less draw length is pleasant...then two groups of 6 full draw back to jaw...then the 13 arrow group.... the more relaxed I can be the better.

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #25 - Aug 7th, 2020 at 9:00pm
Print Post  
Mate I shoot 30 a session max most of the time itís more like 20 but making sure I do everything in my power to make them all count - I use an 9 inch Reinhardt ball and up to 35y put 100% of them in the ball, it drops from there but Iím averaging 60% at 50y With the rest probably inside 12 inches. Theyíre usually touching or Damned close.
Yeah Iím using a compound and Iíve watched these American guys On vids shooting 150y but I donít want or need that range.
As Shanks said practise practise practise 🤟🏼

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #26 - Aug 8th, 2020 at 5:24pm
Print Post  
seems carbon arrows dont like practise,practise,practise...have one with loose nock....have glued it back in and wrapped it with insulation tape....Ive done two arrows front half of shaft with silage tape sort of a heavy duty wide insulation tape...if you can buy commercial arrow wraps I figgured it would be ok...still shoot same as before and seem to group in same place as non wrapped....bit spooked re carbon arrows exploding now...next lot will be alloy to hell with the cost....

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #27 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 6:23am
Print Post  
What brand of arrow are you using?

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #28 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 8:05am
Print Post  
they came from hawker supplies...no branding so probably from covidland.....my bad,brand new off trademe.

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews, Leica and Nikon

Reply #29 - Aug 9th, 2020 at 11:07am
Print Post  
Just get quality Easton or Victory brand arrows/shafts.
Talk to Kevin or Carol at Advanced Archery
I wouldn't wrap the front of the arrows, arrow wraps are for the rear where the vanes/fletches glue on
If you are getting splitting at the ends of the shafts its probably because the end of the shaft isn't trued and therefore one point is taking all the load, rather the the whole circumference. An arrow truer is cheap and will put an end to this. But don't disregard all carbon arrows because you have a bad experience with poorly made cheap ones.

This tool does aluminium shafts or carbon
https://www.advancedarchery.co.nz/collections/arrows-arrow-building/products/g5-...

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 3 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards