Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic How did everyone get on? (Read 1466 times)
Thewoodman
Forum Senior

chop them up!!

How did everyone get on?
May 26th, 2020 at 4:20pm
Print Post  
As above.
My first time shooting big water was an experience, and I came to the conclusion that it's out of my pay grade.  (I got nothing)
So I jumped some ponds on Sat afternoon and got two parrys.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: How did everyone get on?
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2020 at 6:01pm
Print Post  
2 geese
1spoonie
1 grey
11 parries
18 mallards
1 new duckshooting virgin,converted and hooked
last years virgin...REALLY HOOKED.
the 2 old hands contended and the dog tired and happy.

big water can give you a lot of jump shooting......its how I get most of my birds.
zoom around lake putting birds off centre and watch the wee coves n bays as I go past...if they got birds in them,go past and poke boat in a couple of hundred yards away and stalk in....primo fun. even more fun in a kayak,super relaxing.

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Reply #2 - May 26th, 2020 at 7:06pm
Print Post  
we shot the mighty waikato swamp in our pond. best year ever limited our 3 guys by 10.30am saturday. had another mate drop in saturday and he got 8.
Sunday bit slower 18
Monday was a good day 28
we shot till 9am this morning for another 8.
We managed 3 bands aswell

We ended on 92 for our late corona visus opening. and boy it was worth the wait.
The mallards were in fantastic condition and really fat.

IP Logged

Thewoodman
Forum Senior

chop them up!!

Reply #3 - May 26th, 2020 at 8:30pm
Print Post  
I'm starting to think Gisborne must be exporting our ducks out of our area.  last year sucked (for everyone, ammo sales were super low) and my gut feeling is that its the same this year. We had a mega hot Jan, (30-40 degree days continuously) maybe a flow on effect?

IP Logged

mallardbuster
Forum Font

Bad day hunting beats
a good day working

Reply #4 - May 26th, 2020 at 8:35pm
Print Post  
We got 39 for the weekend here in Southland,Thereís 3 brothers and 1 nephew 1 in-law,2 young pups worked very well in the dense scrub,way to fine,a war zone going off around us,but that's duckshooting.GOOD to be out, Wink Wink Wink,

IP Logged

southernstalker

I Love The FishNhunt Forum<br
/>

Reply #5 - May 26th, 2020 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Best opening ever for us in western Southland,
Pulled the pin on Sunday morning at 11am with 200 for the weekend
Clear skyís and no wind plus the kids doing the calling didnít bother the ducks.
Best part was my 8yr old son shooting his first duck 😁

IP Logged

pyro

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #6 - May 26th, 2020 at 9:54pm
Print Post  
First limit bag for me inthe Waikato, great day and awesome bunch of blokes.
Pretty foggy in our little pond for the first few hours but when that burned off parries came in, in 2s and 4s all day.
Best decoying seemed to be when gathering around the bbq out the back of the maimai inthe open, clear as blue bird skies, not a breath of wind, "nother flight coming in" -- "shit, let me put me bacon samie down and get back out the front"

Makes you question all the stealth and whispering that went on till the fog burned off!  Cheesy

IP Logged

DHDS (Deerhunter Duckshooter)
Forum Senior

I Love inspirational quotes

Reply #7 - May 27th, 2020 at 6:37am
Print Post  
Got the Kids out of bed at 5.30am. They are 8 and 5 this year. It would be just the three of us this year.
I decided to loosen up a little on noise limits on there talking, when we saw ducks still and quiet.
Had the best day, we spent it all at our Miamai, shot the most ducks ever off the pond in a single day.
Dog fetched off the water well but would not pick them up off the land. So some work to do there.
So one of my favorite opening days ever.

IP Logged

Oscar
Donor Member

Let Us Prey

Reply #8 - May 27th, 2020 at 9:55am
Print Post  
One of the better openings on our pond in Southland. Only 2 of us could make it this year, normally 4 shoot on it (1 couldnt get back to NZ from Australia due to quarantine, the other one was shifting farms and had booked this weekend about a year ago specifically to avoid opening† Grin)

Limits of 40 mallards each day, by 9.20am Sat and by 10.10am Sun. A lot of fun and a bit of a laugh pulling the leg of friends on other ponds, but also an anti-climax a little after 55 weeks of anticipation Smiley Dog worked well, and for some reason went a lot better on the Sunday than Saturday - may have had something to do with the big feed of muttonbird fat he got at Sat lunchtime Smiley

Good numbers after the wet spring. May be just imagination but the birds seemed a little fatter and better hunting (smaller groups) so perhaps a slightly later opening had some benefits.

Herbs before herbivores

Not all those who wander are lost

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - May 28th, 2020 at 9:53am
Print Post  
about what i expected not great bird numbers  where we where but hit my first shot of day and season so thats always a pulse  as the rest dont matter,   young pup showed his pedigree  Cool

IP Logged

Shagg

Reply #10 - May 29th, 2020 at 9:46am
Print Post  
Shot spillway manawatu best opening ever in 25 years shooting there fine and clear limits x 4 sat - sun monday on mallards 30 parries 11 geese .

Fine clear days but mallards just poured in in 2-3s all the time -
Off to Wairarapa for a week Monday hopefully as good there.

GTalkYIMAIM  
IP Logged

Pighunter Al
Donor Member

Reply #11 - May 30th, 2020 at 4:23pm
Print Post  
Quiet morning here near Hamilton, I shoot on a public lake, no other shooters on the lake so took my young GWP for a walk around the edges, She ended up getting 4 wounded birds only 1 required a finishing shot from me, all the rest she caught and retrieved, including one she had to put her head completely under the water to get. I was really impressed with this dog who up until last Saturday had never been duck hunting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards