Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Upgrade Suppressor For 7mm-08 (Read 694 times)
PeterP
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Upgrade Suppressor For 7mm-08
May 18th, 2020 at 10:50am
Print Post  
I have a Ruger American compact in 7mm-08 with Gunworks suppressor that's a bit noisy for my liking. Just wondering if anyone can offer advice on whether it is possible to make the rifle quieter and if so which suppressor brand I could look at. I mate uses an A-Tec on his Blaser and says it's very good.

Sans suppression the Ruger is ungodly loud  Embarrassed With the Gunworks on it's very much better but I still think it is likely to be slowly but surely damaging my hearing. This is my only centre-fire and I use it a lot on wallabies (bit big I know) so I put quite a lot of rounds through it regularly hence the desire for something more hearing-friendly. Is it possible to make a 7mm-08 hearing-safe?

Probably should do myself a favour and not ask this question but when I bought the rifle, I made a last minute decision to buy it in 7mm-08 instead of .243. Now wondering if it would have been quieter in .243  Undecided Can anyone confirm?

IP Logged

nseagoon
Donor Member

Re: Upgrade Suppressor For 7mm-08
Reply #1 - May 22nd, 2020 at 9:33pm
Print Post  
I've found gunworks good in the past, Robbie (RIP) put plenty of time and effort in to the designs.
are you using a spartan or a maximus supporessor?
maximus will provide some better suppression at the cost of weight

I've found going to the high speed smaller rounds they have a higher pitch crack compared to the louder boom of the 308/7-08 etc.
I've found the higher pitch crack not so pleasant on the ears even when suppressed.

as for other suppressors there's DPT with the modular design. As standard it is around the same as gunworks.
then you can install another baffle kit, which adds some length and weight but should reduce the noise.

The absolute best is ODL (Oceania Defence LTD) 3D printed stintered titanium. much quieter, not modular but also the most expensive. also the lightest by far.

There are plenty of other brands but essentially based off the models mentioned.

Keep in mind any centrefire even suppressed will be louder than 80db which will cause hearing damage.
The only way to go quieter is subsonic ammo and/or barrel porting with an integral supporessor (lots of money and weight)

another option is get either Grade 5 earmuffs with noise cancelling, great for the range but sweaty, heavy and uncomfortable in the bush
or earplugs similar to surefire ones that are grade 5 but have a removable tab that allows some noise to be filtered providing protection while allowing more mid level sound e.g. human voice or rustling leaves to be heard easier.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #2 - May 23rd, 2020 at 6:29pm
Print Post  
You cant beat physics. The more room inside a suppressor to absorb gas and feed it out slowly after the projectile has left, the quieter it will sound. I have a much older Gunworks suppressor that is 40% longer than their current models. MUCH quieter  than current models. But also longer and heavier.  As the old adage goes: cheap, quiet, light, pick any two Roll Eyes

IP Logged

bigfoot708
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:16am
Print Post  
The noise you complain of is probably the sonic crack of the bullet. Fire a shot into the ground with the muzzle close to it, check no stones and angle the barrel away from yourself, to see how loud the muzzle-blast is.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #4 - May 25th, 2020 at 1:13pm
Print Post  

I'm with 'XRhunter' on this one - size dies matter.

Some years back when I was better looking, my brother in law bought a deer off a deer farmer which we had to find and shoot, the proviso being we couldn't let the 'security guy' know we were doing it.
So I made him a suppressor out of 2 inch stainless steel pipe by 12 inches long (maybe even 15") to fit his .308. It slid back over the barrel about 4 inches and was hose clamped to it at the rear. I don't know how many baffles were in there, maybe 12, maybe more - can't remember.
Weighed about 3 pounds and had to be carried in the daypack.
When we tried it down the range there was a quiet crack whooshing around the hills - no boom, no loud sonic bang and bugger all recoil.
To our minds the cartridge appeared to be a 'fizzer', so we wandered up to the 100 yard target to see if the bullet had got there - and it had.

When I went back to work to take on an apprentice, the foreman got the young fellow making suppressors out of aluminium for medium bore rifles - they were tiny and I couldn't see how they would work, but I was assured they did - I had my doubts.

I'd built my one according to the formula the Finns used when shooting Russians which I found online - re internal volume for the cartridge being fired - and it worked.
If you were any distance at all from that gun when it went off, you'd hear the 'whoosh' but would have no idea where it originated from, and neither would the deer - they didn't know which way to run.

Hardly practical though - way too big.

IP Logged

PeterP
Just Joined

Reply #5 - May 25th, 2020 at 1:42pm
Print Post  
Thanks all for the responses. Some interesting points in there. How do I know whether my Gunworks is a Spartan or Maximus? I had it fitted 3 or 4 years ago and it's about 330gms.

Sounds like I'm unlikely to make the rifle fully hearing safe but still, I'd like it to be as quiet as possible. Don't mind spending some $$ as it's my only centre-fire and I also don't mind adding an extra 100gms or so.

I'm looking closely at the DPT Duralium Over-Barrel. I could fit an additional 6 baffels for a total weight of 435gms and a length of 185mm forward of the muzzle. Cost $620.

Also looking at the A-Tech Optima 60. Weight 440gms, 150mm forward of muzzle, $800.

Interested to hear if anyone has any experience of either. Also curious to hear anything about sub-sonic ammo for 7mm-08. Could be a good option for wallabies and much more pleasant to use.

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #6 - May 25th, 2020 at 2:29pm
Print Post  

Those are big prices you're talking about there - the components for a suppressor will either be cast, pressed or spat out on a CNC lathe and I have a suspicion the 'makers' or 'marketers' of these things are vying with each other to see how much they can screw out of the average punter.

Otherwise, without knowing the market/brands, but looking at those prices, I'd make my own on my shitty little lathe - or pay some back street engineer to make one - and I'd be looking at internal volume with bigger being the quieter.
Can't remember if the number of baffles helps - but were I you I'd probably do some reading to get some idea of where we are looking.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #7 - May 25th, 2020 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
Ive got a couple of different gunworks cans,old derilium,spartan skinny and spartan semi fat....all reduce sound well...its still a bang but not a booom. the supersonic crack is still there no matter which can you use....even if you put a big suppressor on a .22lr   if you fire supersonic round it will crack,what suppressor does is capture the muzzle blast...the explosion gases if you like. subsonic rounds are great for plinking,finishing shots and pissing around BUT the hitting power is just not there...you are basically poking a hole through animal,no bruising no smashing of meat n bones. they will work but you much much better off to stick to supersonic loads.
try a box of privi/highland,see if your rifle likes them,they normally way down in velocity compared to other brands so noise will be less......less velocity=less powder=less explosion=less noise Wink

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2020 at 6:00pm
Print Post  

Used to see them down the gun range on those 'banned MSSA's" - little tinky things that got you fishing for your ear plugs.
Would see them on the bigger bolt actions too - big cartridges I'd be leery of shooting and I figured them to be more of a recoil reducer than a sound eliminator.

I remember reading some years back some Aussie guy was picked up shooting Sambar with a 45-70 with a can on the front. That thing was said to be very effective, a heavy soft hollow pointed lead slug travelling subsonic - could hardly hear the damned thing go off.
Don't remember the details or even if they were published - just remember the story and that the guy got in the shit for it.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2020 at 7:10pm
Print Post  
Back in the mid-late 1990's (1997??) when suppressors were just starting to be manufactured commercially for the 'recreational' market here in NZ, I purchase a very early version of a Gunworks suppressor. #6 off the lathe if I remember correctly. Dirty great big thing. But effective! I'd get my mates to stand beside a swamp out bush, then climb up high and at about 200 and then 300 let fly off a bipod at a spot in the swamp about 20m past them and 20m to one side of them. I wouldn't let them see where I shot from, and would then see if they could figure out where I shot from, using both supersonic, and subs.  Supersonic they got a rough idea, say within a couple of hundred meters, but subs they were buggered. No idea where I was, just knew it was coming about 0.25 of a second before it thwacked into the swamp, as you could hear it whooshing through the air.
Have shot plenty of deer in open country with a suppressor, and often they will climb towards you as they flee, as they don't know where you are. Have also used subs to spook deer out of thickets, by wacking one into a tree on the far side of the thicket. They usually come running out towards you Cool

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2020 at 9:35pm
Print Post  

Remember hunting fallow with my Dutch brother in law, we snuck out in the dark and got to the top of the hill as it was breaking light. Couldn't see much, the fog was right close - then we 'bumped' one and it shot off down to the bottom of the hill.

We waited a while and nothing happened .........

"You go down and see if you can chase them back up."

And because he was bigger than me I went down the bottom. The fog was still tight and I was wondering where the 'bottom' was when I had deer skittering every which way.
"Shit, wonder if any went up the hill." So I started back up and the fog lifted.

I remember standing on a knob and looking up I could see four or five milling around on the edge of the grass and was wondering if he could see them when I heard the 'whoosh' and guessed he had.
Those deer stood there, they had no idea what was going on, only that I was below them. I knew roughly where he was, he'd set himself up on a 'rise' and was shooting from a bipod. If I hadn't of known that, I would never have picked where he fired from - could have shot from anywhere.

Got to the top and he had got one, but hadn't seen the ones I'd been looking at.

"That's a little deer."
"Ja, nice eating deer."
"Bloody good suppressor eh ?"
"It's a heap of shit."

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #11 - May 26th, 2020 at 8:37pm
Print Post  
Rod and rifle did a comprehensive test of suppressors a couple of years ago - I read it several times over as it was at one of our local cafes so I had a good excuse, you can capture as much gas as possible which does deaden sound but at the end of the day unless itís going subsonic youíre will still get a crack - basic physics.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

PeterP
Just Joined

Reply #12 - May 30th, 2020 at 1:35pm
Print Post  
Good to read all above. The first box of ammo I put through my Ruger was the Privi stuff then I switched to Winchester Super X and had a great run of not missing a single shot so have stuck with that ever since. Will forget about sub-sonics. Don't think I could tolerate hunting earmuffs but I could probably chuck some ear buds in my pocket.

I found the Rod & Rifle suppressor test online and the top performer was a Hardy. The older A-Tec Hertz came in a close second so I've decided I'll likely pick up the new A-Tec H2 or Optima 60 on the basis that I have some connection with the brand as a good mate uses one on his 6.5 swede and speaks highly of it. When I eventually get one on my rifle I'll post some pics and brief report. Doesn't seem like there's any way to find out how much of an improvement is possible without trying one so will just pull the pin and do it. Expensive maybe, but you can't buy back your hearing  Undecided

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards