Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2]  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic paid to go hunting (Read 1816 times)
headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: paid to go hunting
Reply #15 - May 23rd, 2020 at 1:15pm
Print Post  
Possum control, wallaby culling, needs those kind of people and a certification in that area. A practical and/or an individual mentor to build competent people that can get results and fit for purpose. Or like in the building trade if you can demonstrate years of competence in the area, you get the tick, and a decent pay.  Would be great.

Jobs like wilding pine control could require a bit less in the skills section if well orginsed working in small teams.  There is something like this already being organised in the Mackenzie paying $23 hour. I think thats a bit too little, but its a start.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #16 - May 23rd, 2020 at 1:45pm
Print Post  
The understanding (and so expectations) around culling and ecological benefits has moved on a little since the good old days.

And the oft quoted response to bounty's (that they simply result in farming) have more than  a grain of truth behind it too.

Fact is that the value (ecologically) of  a pest removed varies from place to place, and then also over time in the same place. Makes it difficult to design a remuneration model that adequately rewards the workers while also providing the right incentives.

IP Logged

CeeJ
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #17 - May 24th, 2020 at 10:22am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on May 23rd, 2020 at 9:04am:
It only going to suit a few select few. It takes a certain kind of person, and not too tied to family matters. Days spent away from home, ability to both work alone and as a team when required. Some skills, good judgement, and able to take responsibility for ones self. I dont actually think there are a lot of people can click the ticket.

I'll do it, but only if the wages are such that I can buy half a house after 5 years

IP Logged

CeeJ
Just Joined

Reply #18 - May 24th, 2020 at 10:27am
Print Post  
Max wrote on May 23rd, 2020 at 1:45pm:
The understanding (and so expectations) around culling and ecological benefits has moved on a little since the good old days.

And the oft quoted response to bounty's (that they simply result in farming) have more than  a grain of truth behind it too.

Fact is that the value (ecologically) of  a pest removed varies from place to place, and then also over time in the same place. Makes it difficult to design a remuneration model that adequately rewards the workers while also providing the right incentives.

Wow I learn't more from this than anything

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #19 - May 24th, 2020 at 3:31pm
Print Post  
As an observer and occasional player of the wilding Pine issue in the Central North Island I can say with a reasonable degree of certainty that 'farming' does indeed go on.  35 years of watching the goings-on, and the fact they(pines) are still prolific would indicate to me that an awful lot on money has been wasted, and an awful lot of contractors are smiling all the way to the bank

IP Logged

Bon
Donor Member

Reply #20 - May 25th, 2020 at 10:02am
Print Post  
Whatever way the powers that be tackle the Wallaby problem it is a big problem already and likely to become worse.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 [2] 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards