Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 280AI case trimmer (Read 2329 times)
Good keen bloke

I love my Tikka T3

280AI case trimmer
May 14th, 2020 at 8:17am
Print Post  
What's everyone using?
Will be working up some loads for my mates new kimber in the near future. Never loaded for 280AI before & can't find a die for my lee quick trim system.
Can i use a 270 die?
Both cals have same trimmed case length.
Cheers

7mil is the ultimate pill
AIM  
IP Logged

shananah

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: 280AI case trimmer
Reply #1 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 9:32pm
Print Post  
A .270 die won't work as the 280 AI is based on the 280 Rem case which has a shoulder further forward than the 270 to prevent anyone chambering a 280 rem into a 270 rifle. I don't know how close Lee make the internals of their trim dies, I'm guessing quite close so I don't know if a 280 Rem trim die will work either. Lee list a separate die for a 280AI but if Reloaders haven't got one, good luck getting one out of the states any time soon. The other option if you're only doing a packet at a time sort of thing, is the use one of the Lee cutter & lock stud https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Reloading/Accessories/Lee+Cutter+And+Lockstud+9...
with a 280 Rem case length gauge https://www.reloaders.co.nz/shop/Reloading/Rifle+Dies/Lee+Case+Length+Gauge+280+...
They a bit slower but work well.
Be aware, that Nosler list a slightly shorter trim length for the AI case (2.525"/ 64.1mm)that the 280 Rem case (2.54"/64.5mm). Maybe check the length against some unfired factory rounds & shorten the pin in the depth gauge to this dimension.

IP Logged

Good keen bloke

I love my Tikka T3

Re: 280AI case trimmer
Reply #2 - Jun 9th, 2020 at 10:26am
Print Post  
I use ADI powders & in the book it says trim length 2.530" for 280AI.
But yes good idea to measure off 1 of the unfired precision hunter rounds being used at present.

7mil is the ultimate pill
AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards