Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tazzy. (Read 1688 times)
Ruralmedic

You can find me outdoors.

Tazzy.
May 13th, 2020 at 1:22am
Print Post  
Evening all, just felt like posting a little tribute to a departed friend. It's been a while now but I'm sure I won't forget her.

I work in health care. I visited an old fella one day who had been living alone, with advanced dementia. House was covered in faeces, food all over the house with maggots in etc. So we euthanised him....... Kidding. His family lived overseas and were back for a wedding. They went around to see dad and found the above. He was so upset and so dishevelled and his dementia was so advanced he was aggressive and we needed to get the police to restrain him and then injected him with a sedative to get him to hospital. Throughout all of this I had noted this absolutely terrified little dog under the coffee table. I tried to say hi but she attacked me and disappeared back under the table. We had to call the council ranger to catch her as we couldn't safely do our job with her darting out, launching an attack and then bolting back to her sanctuary.

I couldn't stop thinking about her after the job so I went by the pound. They didn't even know what her name was as she was unregistered and not microchipped. They were going to put her down that afternoon due to her poor health, her aggression and trust issues. I had a frank discussion with the ranger and we came to an agreement.
I wrangled her into my truck and drove home. I muzzled her, shaved her because she was covered in human shit, bathed her and took her to vet. He recommended death as she was so aggressive to him. We decided to give it a fortnight. The aggressive nature was gone in a few weeks. To gain her trust took 18months. She had never eaten or drunk from a bowl, we figured she had gotten water from the bottom of the shower and I don't want to think about what she ate. She settled in over 6 months until our first baby arrived. We had also added another pup, Taz was tolerant, but Taz was the boss. We thought we should keep her away from the baby due to her previous aggression but one day Bubs was on a sheepskin mat and I was cleaning the bathroom. I heard him start crying and I came out to find Taz pushing her way through the gap in the sliding door, she got to him slightly before me and lay down and snuggled into him and started to calm him down. She was patient and tolerant and, while we never left her alone with them, so good to the kids. They were inseparable.

In the first 18months, she would never come all the way up to me. She was terrified of me. She would sit next me but never make eye contact, she'd just give me the old side eye. If I had to touch her I needed to leave her crate open and wait till she was in. Then I had to shut the door, sit next to it for a while talking to her. Eventually I could open the door and reach in to my growling little buddy and get her out gently. She would stiffen up and pretend to bite me but she never made contact with me. She knew I was ok, she would follow me everywhere and get excited when I got home, but wouldn't come all the way over. She had no such fear of my wife and they became good mates. Eventually after that first 18 months she wandered up one random afternoon, licked my hand and sat on my foot. That was that. I had passed the test.

Being a beagle x cocker who was ball driven I took her on a few bunny hunts where she excelled as a wonderful tracker and capable flush and retrieve dog in long grass under a shotgun, but she was mostly our little house pooch.

Over the past few months she had begun to slow down. Even my little tornadoes (toddlers) couldn't get a rise out of her. In her last week she had started crossing her back legs when walking and was slower than anything. She was obviously in pain and sleeping 20 hours a day. We made the decision to say goodbye. We dont know how old she was, but in four years with us she changed our lives for the better. I hope we had a similar effect on hers.
In the morning, we put her in the kids old pram and wandered down to the bakery for her favourite treat, a sausage roll. The sun was out, the kids were happy and I'm sure Taz was too. She slept until the afternoon with the kids on their little couch. She didn't resist when I scooped her into my truck.
The vet wanted to do tests but I had already made the decision once and I wasn't going to do it again. I bawled as her heart stopped in my arms.
In keeping with her personality she provided one last laugh as the vet picked her up to take her to remove her cannula. She let out some gas as he lifted her up and he said "oops, squeezed her tummy a bit hard." I told him it was poor form to blame my dead dog.
She is now in her favourite bone hiding spot in the yard with a lemon myrtle tree on her grave. My 4 year has been out there every day in the past little while to chat to her and tell her about his day. She still occasionally provides a laugh, Grandpa came around and the kid offered to dig her up so Grandpa could say goodbye.
Anyway.
We miss you Tazzy.

Happiness is when your hardest decision is whether to take the rifle, the bow, the rod or all three.

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Re: Tazzy.
Reply #1 - May 13th, 2020 at 9:35am
Print Post  
Good story thanks. Shame they don't last for ever.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - May 13th, 2020 at 9:44am
Print Post  

What a sad story, you took us into that dog's life and what a dismal affair it had been. Am glad you gave her a chance and am glad you were rewarded - kudos to you.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #3 - May 13th, 2020 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
Awesome story man, I'm so glad you persevered with her and gave her the chance at a great life.

Seems a few people around who just regard dogs as great when they are well behaved and no problem, but as soon as they don't suit their needs or become inconvenient they get rid of them or put them down.

It seems the good ones are with us for so little time.
Rest well Tazzy

IP Logged

Ruralmedic

Reply #4 - May 14th, 2020 at 5:29pm
Print Post  
Thanks folks.
It's funny reading through some of the stuff on the forum, especially when it gets a bit political or there's a few opinions to be had. No matter what your view on the world might be, we almost all (almost) have a dog in common. They don't care about your political opinion, or what you think of the lockdown or whether you prefer Tikka to Remington, ducks or deer, they just make your world better. Mostly.

Happiness is when your hardest decision is whether to take the rifle, the bow, the rod or all three.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #5 - May 14th, 2020 at 5:39pm
Print Post  
Ya not wrong.
Just another reason I prefer dogs to most people Smiley

IP Logged

Ruralmedic

Reply #6 - May 14th, 2020 at 8:10pm
Print Post  
Haha, as a health professional, I concur.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards