Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic new to pig hunting (Read 2495 times)
ryan aspiring pig hunter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

new to pig hunting
May 8th, 2020 at 9:56pm
Print Post  
kia ora im looking at getting some dogs I'm leaning towards bailing dogs as im wanting to use my gun and I've heard its less money on the vet bill. What breeds should I be looking at? is it god to have a holder and a bailer? any tips that you think could help?
thanks in advance!!!

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: new to pig hunting
Reply #1 - May 8th, 2020 at 10:38pm
Print Post  
Hi Ryan. What region you living in?

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #2 - May 9th, 2020 at 9:58am
Print Post  
Everyone has their own preference.
Iíll give you my example.

I personally like a dog to be at least half working dog. They have a natural tendency to be able to work anything with a hoof.
The two I use, ones half Kelpie half collie, the others half huntaway half pitbull.
Basically how they work is that the Kelpie doesnít hold at all, just stands off and barks, and itís the bully that grabs the pig.
The Kelpie is more the sort of dog youíd use if you were gonna be in the bush for a period of time and wanted a good mate. Heís easy to feed, never really gets lost, doesnít go too far, heís got a thick coat so can handle sleeping on the ground for a night or two in winter.
But, he can be a handful around home if he gets bored, and if the pig decides to run he has zero ability to stop it.

The Bully X on the other hand, is an absolute cruiser around home, he loves just laying in the sun all day.
Heís what I call a day hunt dog. That is, you can only really hunt him for 1 day, because if he gets a boar heís gonna be out of action for at least a week afterwards. Not so much vet bills (Iíve never actually had to take him to the vet for a hunting related injury) but more the fact that physically he puts so much into it that he can barely walk out afterwards.
He always gets at least a few small rips and pokes but itís nothing that a bit of lick and a few days lying in the sun doesnít fix.
When I do fly in trips I can pretty much only hunt him on the last day or two, in case he needs a vet.

When Iíve hunted them separately Iíve found that the Kelpie is quite shy about finding a pig, probably ecause be hasnít got his mate to back him up, and the bully tends to stay on my heels when he doesnít have another dog to compete with.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #3 - May 9th, 2020 at 10:04am
Print Post  
A good way to get around the lack of arse end bite with cattle dogs is to cross them with a greyhound or whippet. Those dogs naturally want to grab the back end.
Iíd go for whippet myself. Greyhounds tend to be lard arses and are only interested in catching something theyíve seen, not going off and sniff it out.

IP Logged

ryan aspiring pig hunter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - May 9th, 2020 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
Hi Maddoghunter im living in Auckland but am from the Waikato so I hunt all around the place!! thanks for the reply you have been a big help

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - May 9th, 2020 at 9:34pm
Print Post  
if you go back and look in this section a couple or 5 years back...we had a VERY sucessful pig hunter who got a lot of good pigs
his team of dogs was..... Undecidedsomewhat Huhdiferent to the norm
his main dog,that found his pigs and bailed most of them single handedly for him to creep in and shoot is a foxy...yes thats right a fox terrier.......see my wee story about guy in pub.....
if he gets a problem pig and needs more dog power,he brings in the big guns to help.....that really has the pigs stuffed...2nd dog is another foxy!!!!!! with three legs Shocked Shocked Shocked Shocked
I shit you not....that is his team.
two piss arsed yappy wee foxies
they would be hard pressed to stop one of maddogs pine forest runners...BUT guys have been running whippets n whippet crosses to do that for 40 years,same thing,small fast and big tough boarthinks he can handle it untill its too late and hes dead.
nothing is as clear cut as it seems and sure as God made little green apples there is more ways to kill a cat that skin it.
my old huntaway was scared of pigs,even weaners could back him off with a mock charge...cant blame him really,he got ripped twice,both times it nearly took tip off his wedding tackle...but he wouldnt give up on a find and kept hounding pig till it stopped then let out that beautiful loud bail till I arrived to shoot pig.
my current dogs arent pig dogs as such...but my bitch led me into pigs sleeping in the fern and I got 2 with 2 shots at spitting range. she also tracked down and tackled a 80ish lb boar Id shot too far back.....went a couple of hundy yards across and up hill.no way would I have found it without her.she also told me pigs were up hill behind me right on dawn one morning resulting in east shot and heavy carry before most folks are out of bed.

IP Logged

ryan aspiring pig hunter
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - May 9th, 2020 at 10:43pm
Print Post  
awesome, love reading the stories Micky Duck!!! they definitely help put it in perspective

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #7 - May 10th, 2020 at 6:59am
Print Post  
so the type of dog depends on the country, where i hunt is native  and i live in a small town area so pigs not gettin chased much at all, i hunt 1 dog shes a short rang finder, basically if ya standing on fresh sign and shes not by ya side load the gun n get ready, i like hunting pigs not looking for dogs so the short range suits, shes a headingxwhippetxsomethinorather, got plenty of brains

IP Logged

Tutuwai
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - May 10th, 2020 at 8:01am
Print Post  
Do you have anyone else you can hunt a dog with?

It's a bit easier to concentrate on one dog at a time try and restrain yourself from getting too many dogs to start with,especially pups if you can run a dog with a mate's dogs that already catch pigs it can save a lot of time.

IP Logged

Jdub

Reply #9 - May 10th, 2020 at 9:29am
Print Post  
What's your intentions with your dog when your not hunting? Something to think about also.
I personally prefer smaller breeds as they are easier and cheaper to have around the house, throw them in the back of the car/wagon to shoot down the road for a run.. less mess etc around home..
It's each to their own really. So long as you start with a breed that is genetically bred to use its nose and work with stock etc..
As mentioned above I've always liked the idea of a little dog like a foxy being your mate, but also being able o pull up a pig, that would be so satisfying to see.
I have a little whippet X with a heading dog and a bit of Staffy, she's super quiet at home, just loves the daughter fussing over her but when she's in the bush a switch is flicked.. unfortunately we hasn't seen too many pigs through fault of mine but she would be a little weapon if she had more time on the hill

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #10 - May 10th, 2020 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
yeh my bitch is a right "pat slut" too

IP Logged

013fish

Reply #11 - May 22nd, 2020 at 5:48pm
Print Post  
how much pig hunting have you done prior maybe another good starting point?working dogs, finding and tracking pigs etc

IP Logged

Thefullahfromakaz
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - May 26th, 2020 at 11:53pm
Print Post  
Hi, Iím looking for a pre 1964 Winchester .30-30
If anyoneís got one.

Cheers

IP Logged

RuahineRowan
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - May 27th, 2020 at 10:39pm
Print Post  
I'm definitely more of a deer hunter than a pig hunter but I've had a dog and started from scratch before.

I was living in Northland for a bit and picked up pig hunting and got a dog, unfortunate circumstance I had to put him down. I ended up getting a new pup from good lines and was going to use her for pig hunting up there but then ended up moving down to central otago/southland for pest control, She's a heading/cattle x and was VERY timid and was shit scared of possums and I thought she was going to be good for f**k all hunting wise. She's a possum dog by trade but now recently she's decided to be a savage on pigs, very good nose and naturally bails them, she finds way better than my last dog(100+ pigs) straight away.

When I first got her I thought she wouldn't have a chance, no confidence at all. Now at 18 months she's very confident and shows a lot of potential, fast and smart but no stupid enough to chase them for miles(seem to come back within 1km). She's also good on deer too, She'll creep in very slowly behind me 20-30m if I'm stalking in.

I have a couple of dedicated pig hunting mates who have both told me to keep my bitch bailing by herself and she'll end up better.

Heaps of good breeds/lines out there but I reckon a good working/cattle x would be the way to go for bailing. Heading dogs(like mine) can be sensitive and take a bit of time but well worth it I reckon, They can be a weapon on the hill, complete sook at home and a demon hunting† Grin

Hope that helps. Be careful, once you pick up the knife you won't be able to put it back down, I tried to but here I am keen as again!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards