Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Training a Labrador Pup (Read 2676 times)
HuntingLad
Just Joined
Donor Member

Training a Labrador Pup
May 4th, 2020 at 7:47am
Print Post  
Morning everyone

I'm about to take on a Chocolate Labrador pup, I do a bit of deer hunting and duck hunting during the season. I'm getting him around 9 weeks old and would love some advice on how some of the other members have trained their dogs up?

Thanks in advance!

Some of the best memories are made even if you don't pull the trigger

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Re: Training a Labrador Pup
Reply #1 - May 4th, 2020 at 8:17pm
Print Post  
Concentrate on the basics first. Sit, stay, come. Don't introduce to hunting too early. Don't train out the pups natural hunting instincts. Early on, it is better for the pup to have no brakes than no motor. Seek out a balance.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - May 4th, 2020 at 9:22pm
Print Post  
well I will say,find OLD book GAME DOG and read it twice more after first reading......some bits are considered outdated thinking......but its an old school version of the "blueprint" that isnt online and doesnt codt you more than once.
agree 100% with BC .....get that recall/come   and stop/sit rock solid ,those two commands will give you many  get out of jail cards.and most importantly...bond with pup and enjoy its young stages......they will be with you for HOPEFULLY 12-14 years before they break your heart.

IP Logged

Micky Duck

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - May 4th, 2020 at 9:23pm
Print Post  
oh and play retrieve till your left arm falls off as well as the right.....being a lab,the dog will still want more.Im a bit anul on this one.....others PLAY retrieve...with me its placed in hand or game ends...its fun work....not play time...others have different views but thats how I do it.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2020 at 12:25pm
Print Post  
Take the pup to you everyday at least once and get comfortable with it. Pet it till its so relaxed it falls asleep next to you, on you or whatever.. Around you is its safe place, and the dog should  trust you above all others.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards