Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic 250 Savage Ackley Improved (Read 258 times)
aimless
Donor Member

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

250 Savage Ackley Improved
May 2nd, 2020 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Am building a light hunting rifle in 250 Savage Ackley Improved, has anyone got any personal experience with this round? Be keen to hear what they think of it, best projectiles etc for hunting. Bit of an oldie these days  but always wanted to build one so here we go.

Probably a long shot but I'm after a set of dies for the above if anyone has some they don't use anymore.

IP Logged

Dicko

Re: 250 Savage Ackley Improved
Reply #1 - Jul 10th, 2020 at 4:34pm
Print Post  
Aimless, i have a 257 Roberts ai so a bit more velocity. In .257 cal most projectiles of 87 - 90 gns and lower are very thin jacketed designed for varmit use. Stay clear of these. You need to be at 100 gns plus or you will not get good penetration and performance on medium game.  I n 100s I like the Nosler 100 gn BT, the 100 gn Hornady is a good pill but hard to find. Ceased manufacture so look for the the 100 gn Speer.

The Barnes 90 and 100 gn TSX, are good in .257 if you like mono's and should work ok at your velocities.

The 250 - 3000 ai may be a bit low in velocity for the 115 - 120 range. But if you want to use one as a close range option, id go a cup and core Sierra, Hornady or Speer.

Dicko

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards