Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Fish & Game imploding as Government plans intervention (Read 1860 times)
Simon Gibson

Fish & Game imploding as Government plans intervention
May 2nd, 2020 at 8:52am
Print Post  

bnb

IP Logged

QUACKERS
Forum Font

DUCK FEVER NEVER DIES.

Re: Fish & Game imploding as Government plans intervention
Reply #1 - May 2nd, 2020 at 10:37am
Print Post  
Id like them all to be audited of money  coming and going .

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - May 2nd, 2020 at 1:44pm
Print Post  
There are things that can be improved in F&G for sure. But this story is a beat up that suits other peoples agendas.
What we have just seen is what every board or council will go through at some time, a change of direction thats wished for from a majority of shareholders. When that wish gets enough sway, you see new board members elected and if the chairman isn't flexible enough to the new ideas, then undoubtably they will change him too.
In my opinion this is a sign the system is working, and the fact it does not suit DOC, who have been happy for F&G to do some things it cant, Is the main reason that we are seeing noise from the minister.
Her input is not in the best wishes of Fish and game shareholders I will guarantee you that.
I would add that any change should come from within our ranks, and not from outside influence.

IP Logged

jedhunter

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - May 3rd, 2020 at 1:43pm
Print Post  
shanks, you were a councilor which dealt to a manager, there is going to be a comprehensive review, i dont like the muzzling of a ceo, and its obvious that a public excluded session was going to happen to force a change of chair. i note that north canterbury has a feds rep on there council, im in favour of that when feds make their  membership public otherwise a bio gro or a regenerative farmer, certified, because feds have stated they wish to influence policy, there is a conflict when they make submissions on canterbury rivers to completely de water them to protect canterbury mud fish.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - May 6th, 2020 at 7:27am
Print Post  
Jed its not quite clear what you are saying there. Can you clarify each point.

IP Logged

jedhunter

Reply #5 - May 7th, 2020 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
happy to oblige shanks, there is going to a review, its got to be comprehensive, hopefully geoffrey palmer can assist as he helped set it up,
feds are not to be trusted and a alternative farmer group would help, as the chemical ,based farming system is broke,
regen erative sustainable farming and those people would be a great sounding board. maybe a 20 million grant to get this group going. thats start

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - May 7th, 2020 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
Right, so Im going to start with admitting that I dont feel the system we have is broken, and I think the latest change at national is a sign that its actually working.
I do think though that some updating could be an advantage, but not positive Palmer is the right person.
As far as famers go- I dont see a position for farming as a right in Fish and game. I could see a liaison set up where a farmer representative is invited to attend meetings where issues to do with farming are discussed. The truth is though that like myself, the farmer input is already there in the form of dedicated hunters and fishers who farm and have a knowledge of both through their involvement as farmers, and as fishing and hunting Licence holders.

So what would I change- the regions are set up on a catchment basis, which works for fishing. In deed its reasonably easy to adjust fish management on a river by river basis. It does not work so well for hunting. There is some acceptance of broader areas of interregional† duck populations. Maybe change regions to match those instead. That would see about 3 regions for north island for example.

The truth is though that the real issue for fish and game is funding. there is not enough money to do much more and successive govt's have hamstrung the organisation by limiting the org to inflation only increases in fees. Its also difficult for the org. to go out and make money from other ventures.

From my time on council I saw the staff to be undervalued and overworked with a massive cross role ability to handle a huge range of situations- working on rivers and wetlands one day, counting fish or banding ducks on another, Presenting to environment court on such massively wide ranges of subjects the next.
In that regard im of no doubt that licence holders get value for money.

So tieing all that together, The two factors which hold back fish and game are GOVT, and licence holder apathy.
There are too few licence holders who would consider putting as much back in as the cost of their years supply of ammo. In my region when the word went out that botulism was causing a huge death in part of the region, I think only about 20 hunters answered the call to go out and help staff to pick up the dead and dieing birds, thousands of them.

IP Logged

DaveH

Reply #7 - May 7th, 2020 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
The best thing the Government could do to help Fish & Game would be to sort out the Regional Councils so that F&G didn't need to spend so much money trying to defend the environment in court when the Regional Councils have failed at their job.

IP Logged

jedhunter

Reply #8 - May 8th, 2020 at 11:11am
Print Post  
hopefully after the budget, david parker will move on the essential fresh water reforms, winnie and shane j will have to wear it, the science is there re nitrates and sediment, also a labour minister of conservation would help, it would help with the perception of bias, ie genetic work on possums, 1080, need we say more. re f/g the semi autonomous model has led to legal semantics coupled with the unbridled power regional managers have    caused by liberal delegations policies operational work plans not backed by strategic plans, remember canada geese, there was a overaching managment plan in the south island, some councils barely gave it lip service,leading to losing control of the resource. presently in canterbury, ecan has identified none of fish screens on major irrigation intakes are working leading to salmon smolt going to die, elvas blocking irrigation nozzles frustrating fisherman but with a f/g chairman owning a irrigation scheme ,in the past, frustrating all, thankfully there has been a change there ,but the rangitata river is in trouble, that river has a river conservation order but you wouldnt believe it now.

IP Logged

fowlplay
Just Joined

Reply #9 - May 8th, 2020 at 2:19pm
Print Post  
Think thats just your opinion and im sure a few people share it and a few dont. Im a farmer myself and have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars in upgrades to improve our environmental footprint here in the waikato. I for one would like more representation from feds to make sure the goal posts arent changing constantly and the media announcements are not just a green beatup.  Why would we as farmers allow access to hunt or fish our farm to people like yourself or F&G liscence holders? No offence intended.

IP Logged

southernstalker

I Love The FishNhunt Forum<br
/>

Reply #10 - May 10th, 2020 at 11:44pm
Print Post  
Jedhunter, I think you have been sipping on a bit much of the f&g coolaid if you think they have got the science behind their nitrate and sediment testing even close to right, itís not a one size fits all issue are it varies so much stream to stream, and the current fresh water plan doesnít acknowledge that. F&g are not qualified to be playing with the environmental big boys, they just need to go back to counting their fish and birds.

IP Logged

jedhunter

Reply #11 - May 11th, 2020 at 3:28pm
Print Post  
southern stalker, there is a technical advisory group advising re essential freshwater, if want to tell marc schellenberg, mike joy, cawthorn science people, etc , they want it tougher, not nick smiths' 'wadable water ' standard, the trouble is some f/g councils have been negligent and conflicted,
maybe the game animal council, deerstalkers, legasea, should think is this the time for a combined advocacy authourity

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards