Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10 Send TopicPrint
Very Hot Topic (More than 100 Replies) Do anyone know who was arrested for hunting (Read 16531 times)
Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Do anyone know who was arrested for hunting
Apr 28th, 2020 at 9:45am
Print Post  
Does anyone know who it was arrested for illegal hunting or can they ask him to contact me.  As many of you know we in the Outdoors Party have been very critical of the no hunting, fishing ect rule. Sue Grey our co-leader and emerging issues lawyer has prepared a legal argument as to why the law was wrong and would be happy to defend whoever it is. So see if anyone can reach out to him...
https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/crime/121300872/north-canterbury-man-arrested-a...
And please dont go on about he shouldn't have ..the fact is he is now charged under what we believe to be a unlawful law and for democracy sake it needs to be challenged. The Government is not above the law and should follow the law in making our laws...

Co-leader NZ Outdoors Party http://www.outdoorsparty.co.nz
Book. Born to The Outdoors http://www.alan-simmons.com/book
IP Logged

Hydro
Donor Member

Born to Hunt

Re: Do anyone know who was arrested for hunting
Reply #1 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 10:21am
Print Post  
Identity = selfish, irresponsible pr#ck!!! 👀

Let him defend himself Alan. 🙂

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #2 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 10:45am
Print Post  
I and almost all on here didn't go out for the roar also out of respect for what the government was trying to do BUT it still does not justify someone being prosecuted and possibly convicted by a false law. If it was a national park doc have no lawful right to stop us from accessing it. This is a much bigger issue...
by the way heaps around here and in other places I know went hunting..its the food they put on the table. Not everyone in the countryside can afford to live from the supermarket meat section with a leg of crappy lamb at $50.00 In this case though I suspect you are quite right it was just greed and not hunger.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 10:55am
Print Post  
What about Hone's 600km trip to Auckland for a feed?

Or David Clarks 20km trip to the beach with is family?

Or Simons Bridges massive drives to Wellington?

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #4 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 10:57am
Print Post  
If you travel 230km or what ever to hunt illegally, and know the risks, and get caught. Good job I say.

You are meant to be a political party Alan, not a citizen's advice bureau.

Don't confuse legal rights with societal rights. Mostly society will say he was an irresponsible idiot. And if you push this, they will put you in the same basket.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

Max
Donor Member

Reply #5 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 11:19am
Print Post  
Alan wrote on Apr 28th, 2020 at 10:45am:
I and almost all on here didn't go out for the roar also out of respect for what the government was trying to do BUT it still does not justify someone being prosecuted and possibly convicted by a false law. If it was a national park doc have no lawful right to stop us from accessing it. This is a much bigger issue...
by the way heaps around here and in other places I know went hunting..its the food they put on the table. Not everyone in the countryside can afford to live from the supermarket meat section with a leg of crappy lamb at $50.00 In this case though I suspect you are quite right it was just greed and not hunger.

That'd be an interesting topic for another time. I hear it a lot, but in my mind its mostly bullshit. Hear it often from guys with $50K  4WD's, flash hunting gear (increasingly including thermal gear) and the like. And lots of them don't shoot much........

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #6 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 11:26am
Print Post  
Most guys on here stayed home and didn't go hunting.This guy broke the law,didnt give a toss about the rest of the country.Hope they thro the book at him. Angry

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Alan
Administrator
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #7 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Trout wrote on Apr 28th, 2020 at 11:26am:
Most guys on here stayed home and didn't go hunting.This guy broke the law,didnt give a toss about the rest of the country.Hope they thro the book at him. Angry

That is the question ..did he break the law? I'm playing devils advocate here.... were we all fooled by a bluff?  Smiley

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #8 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 11:38am
Print Post  
Alan wrote on Apr 28th, 2020 at 11:34am:

That is the question ..did he break the law? I'm playing devils advocate here.... were we all fooled by a bluff?  Smiley

No. Common sense prevailed. The public are not silly - they support good ideas regardless of their origin or legal status.

Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought.......

IP Logged

FUSION
Forum Senior

Reply #9 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 11:39am
Print Post  

I'm with Alan on this even the Government need to be acting within the law.

IP Logged

BC
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

Reply #10 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 12:07pm
Print Post  
FUSION wrote on Apr 28th, 2020 at 11:39am:

I'm with Alan on this even the Government need to be acting within the law.

I agree that the Gov ought to Act inside of the law. That's why legislation gets amended and changed. But its more likely it will be changed to the majority view. And the law does not decide if this chap was an idiot or not.

IP Logged

Vulcan
Forum Font

Reply #11 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
if you read the Health Act 1956 Sections 70 and 71 there does not seem to be any clauses around the shelter in place. There is this:

Quote:
require people to remain in the health district or the place in which they are isolated or quarantined until they have been medically examined and found to be free from infectious disease, and until they have undergone such preventive treatment as he may in any such case prescribe:

But that would require the Medical Officer of Health to declare quarantine for each region and make an effort to medically examine those quarantined.

BUT... check out this clause:

Quote:
Every person who suffers any loss or damage by the exercise of any of the powers conferred on the medical officer of health by this section shall be entitled to compensation to be determined in case of dispute by the District Court, whose decision shall be final.

^ that's a whole can of worms right there. Edit nevermind this applies to requisitions only (I think)

Finally, if you read the Covid 19 website the powers that are being used are listed under CDEM Act 2002. Which is why the govt had to extend the State of Emergency every 7 days.

And here is the Medical Officers Order 2020 for Covid 19 Level 3:
http://www.legislation.govt.nz/regulation/public/2020/0069/latest/LMS339029.html...

Quote:
Limited recreation purposes

(e)
leave their home or place of residence for the purpose of exercise or other recreation if—
(i)
it is done in an outdoor place appropriate for that kind of exercise or recreation that is readily accessible (including by using their vehicle) from their home or place of residence (and, in any case, is within the same or an adjacent region); and
(ii)
it is done in compliance with the requirements that relate to physical distancing (see clause 6(1)(b)) and the prohibition against congregating (see clause 11); and
(iii)
it does not involve flying manned aircraft, scuba-diving, hunting in motorised vehicles, or water-based activities involving sailing boats, motorised craft, or motorised equipment; and
(iv)
it does not involve any other activities that expose the participant to danger (taking account of their experience and abilities):
Limited customary purposes

(f)
leave their home or place of residence for the purpose of exercising Māori customary rights to fishing and food gathering if—
(i)
it is done in an outdoor place appropriate for that kind of activity that is readily accessible (including by using their vehicle) from their home or place of residence (and, in any case, is within the same or an adjacent region); and
(ii)
it is done in compliance with the requirements that relate to physical distancing (see clause 6(1)(b)) and the prohibition against congregating (see clause 11); and
(iii)
it does not involve flying manned aircraft, scuba-diving, hunting in motorised vehicles, or water-based activities involving sailing boats, motorised craft, or motorised equipment; and
(iv)
it does not involve any other activities that expose the participant to danger (taking account of their experience and abilities)

^ that doesn't seem to ban hunting to me? (except in Vehicles). And the "readily accessible (including by using their vehicle) from their home" sounds to me like if I can drive there it's all good?

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 3:45pm
Print Post  
Something important to add to that- they have not specified what constitutes a region. Minister sage went as far as saying they did not know, and the prime minister this morning dodged that question. Could it be argued that how ever far you can travel and back on one tank of gas could be considered your region?

Im not actually arguing for this guy- But I am sick of this govts failures to do their job properly and continually specifying to stay in your region without clearly indicating what a region is this far into the crisis is useless!

IP Logged

FUSION
Forum Senior

Reply #13 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 4:11pm
Print Post  
Absolutely agree. Sue Grey would have looked into this prior to publishing her piece, after all she is suitably qualified and to get it incorrect would cause reputational damage.
However the practicalities here are that because the situation is  unprecedented there is no case law to rely upon infront of a judge.

in two weeks hopefully we can all go hunting!

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Apr 28th, 2020 at 4:26pm
Print Post  
I think hunting and shooting need to be  defined as two different things.
So theres pigs in my neighbours paddocks, is it legal if i shoot them? I definetly wouldn't call it hunting.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards