Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Articles for magazines (Read 1982 times)
Trophy_Hunter
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Articles for magazines
Apr 18th, 2020 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone,
Just have a question regarding writing articles for magazines. I had an article published at the end of last year for a hunting magazine and Ive tried to email them 3 times regarding payment. Is there anyone on here who knows how they work in terms of payment? Help is much appreciated. Thanks

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Re: Articles for magazines
Reply #1 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 8:03am
Print Post  
I think it depends on the magazine. Most have a blurb in the front about how to go about submitting articles and I guess you must either sign a contract or make contact with them prior to submitting  to work the deal.
I have been involved with a community news paper submitting articles as a cop and got nought, as is expected as it was a community service.
In your case Id keep trying, maybe phoning them.

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
post your article up on here bud.....there are a couple of members who are associated with the major magazines who drop in from time to time....you could look through forums and when you spot them,send a polite PM and see if that helps in your delema.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Apr 19th, 2020 at 7:20pm
Print Post  
Ive writen a few. Always been paid after publication. Though to be honest once the Govt has stripped the withholding Tax its not something you would ever do for the money.
I hope you get an answer, keep trying on the principle. More importantly, keep writing because you enjoy it.

IP Logged

Trophy_Hunter
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 10:12am
Print Post  
Thanks for the advice guys!

IP Logged

Simon Gibson

Reply #5 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 2:38pm
Print Post  
Payment should be made the month following publication. Most magazines pay on a per published page rate unless you have a block buster story (like a fifty inch Wapiti) which they may pay a bit more for. If you get a photo on the cover then that's worth an additional sum. And yes the taxman takes his cut in the form of withholding tax.

bnb

IP Logged

avon_7
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - May 20th, 2020 at 4:09pm
Print Post  
A lot of the hunting Magazines in Australia and one or two in NZ don't pay at all, they just give you a  bit of gear.
I have written about 10-12 odd articles over the years that have been published but to be honest now I have it out of my System and wont write any more.
The thing is to put a good article together that is well written and worth reading, takes a lot of time and effort and the reward is just not there.

Also New Media; as in YouTube has pretty much replaced magazines in terms of enjoyable content and I don't really know anyone that buys hunting magazines anymore including myself.

The exception would be the SCI magazine which is amazing...

If it takes only one careless match to start a bush fire, how come it takes me a whole box to start a camp fire.
IP Logged

Grandad
Forum Font

sonofthemist

Reply #7 - May 31st, 2020 at 4:51pm
Print Post  
In my lifetime I've learned a lot about fallow deer.  Hunted every herd, farmed them, now I photo them. To spread my knowledge I've written for several NZ magazines since 1960.  Especially NZ OUtdoor hunting, and Rod & Rifle.  I always get paid after the event.

The fraternity of shooters is rather like the fraternity of blind men -- each one walks alone.&&: Ian Niall.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards