Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Short barrelled .270Win load (Read 445 times)
Dawg
Just Joined

Identify your target beyond
ALL doubt.

Short barrelled .270Win load
Mar 29th, 2020 at 12:00pm
Print Post  
Hi folks, im looking at cutting my .270Win down to 16-18 inches, and putting a dpt can on it to save the dogs ear drums. Aware .270win is not a great candidate ballistically to be bush pigged, but all my shooting is sub 300m (reds and sika) so im not worried.

Just wondering whether anyone is prepared to share there experiences with shortended .270Win's. Keen to hear peoples thoughts on barrel length, powder types and potential projectiles.

Thanks in advance,
Josh

IP Logged

Will19
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Short barrelled .270Win load
Reply #1 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 9:14pm
Print Post  
I talked to Greg Duley about doing this last month as Im looking to do the same with my .270. Below is what he said:

The 270 makes a very good BushPig, and the best if using factory ammo.
Yep, the barrel length is 18", and the load is either the Federal 130gn Trophy Copper factory ammo for over 2800fps, or loads with the Federal 135gn TLR which has now been discontinued - but luckily it shoots just as well with the Hornady 145gn ELD-X driven by 57 to 58gns of Superformance powder in Norma brass with Federal Fed 210 primers for 2925fps. Yours is a Tikka same as ours which have slightly more generous bore dimensions, but in US brand rifles you need to drop the powder charge a grain to not exceed that velocity/pressure.

Hope that helps.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Re: Short barrelled .270Win load
Reply #2 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
if you going to be shooting over your dog....I presume your average shot will be sub75yards.....and your 250-300yard shots will be the likes of across gullys where you have time to switch loads.....for sure go and make up a sexy longish range loading BUT for your bush work over dog....go cup n core ,you sure as shite dont gain anything by using a soft sleak projectile up close....150grn partitions are awesome,there are heaps of good options for bush work....heck its a mighty poohseventy,the options are endless....

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards