Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Kanuka selfbow build questions (Read 5677 times)
Hunter_Nick
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Kanuka selfbow build questions
Mar 27th, 2020 at 6:03pm
Print Post  
Hey guys, new to the forum and bow hunting, but have been rifle hunting for 25 years or so. Recently taken up trad bow hunting and building my own bows. Last weekend I cut a good kanuka that yielded 7 staves (3 good ones and 2 average ones for adult bows, and another 2 shorter ones to play with and make kids bows)
All the literature I have is northern hemisphere based, so no info on how to deal with Kanuka/Manuka.
Questions:
1. Is it usual to dry the split staves with the bark on? Does the bark peel ok once dry? I have removed the bark on one and sealed the back with PVA, and peeled another and left it sealed just on the ends to see what happens....
2. The wood looks semi ring porous so is treated like a white wood. I.e peel the bark and that becomes the back? No ring chasing?
3. What design works best with Kanuka? Flatbow or deep cross section like an English longbow?

I guarantee that a few staves will become firewood, thats part of the journey. Any tips from anyone experienced with the wood would be welcomed!

Nick

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Re: Kanuka selfbow build questions
Reply #1 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 6:05pm
Print Post  
it peels easy when dry.....it sort of flakes off too.

IP Logged

Hunter_Nick
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 6:11pm
Print Post  
Thanks Micky Duck,

I thought as much, but just checking as it comes off really nice and clean wet. Was hoping the same once dried off!

Im going to build a flatbow first up and see how it goes

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #3 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 7:23pm
Print Post  
it makes awesome shovel handles....thats how I know it peels off easy.
keep us posted on how it turns out....lancewood could be another option....supplejack makes simple kids bows....and comes pretty big.... lots of options out there.

IP Logged

Hunter_Nick
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 8:13pm
Print Post  
Sure will! Its going to be a while before any real progress, needs some drying, but Ill be sure to post updates

IP Logged

SF90
Ex Member

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 8:59pm
Print Post  
A good idea might be to post your journey making these on here (with photos), I'd certainly be interested.

I made two kanuka self bows quite a few years back for the kids, but for the life of me, can't remember how I went about it. I do remember they were flat bows of moderately light poundage and was surprised at how thin they ended up. They were quite short, about five foot or a little longer I think
I also cut some staves from hazel and puriri, but that's as far as I went with them as the kids lost interest.

I do remember others in NZ had made 'self bows' with kanuka and had posted their results online - made some very powerful bows.

Like MD I've made axe handles out of kanuka - I roughed those green, painted the ends and hung them up in the garage rafters to dry. Made a couple of full length handles and a tomahawk one and they've been working fine.
It's a good wood to work, much easier green than dried, or that's what I found - takes a nice finish too.

Oops, I see The Duck made shovel handles, haven't done that.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 6:22am
Print Post  
I milled some Kanuka some years ago. For a friend who wanted to make a coffee table. His research was that either it had an issue with warping or splitting, I cant remember which now. The solution suggested was to drop the logs in a pond for 6 months, then mill them. it seemed to work though we never cut any fresh to see if there really was an issue.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #7 - Apr 20th, 2020 at 8:35am
Print Post  
http://bullockroadbows.co.nz/, this fellas bin makin selfbows for quite some time

IP Logged

Marrco
Forum Senior

Must be time for a Capstan.

Reply #8 - May 25th, 2020 at 9:44am
Print Post  
Where would I find some Kanuka or something similar? I'm in the Chch area. cheers.

`..`. ><((((((>
`..`..`. ><((((((>

IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #9 - May 25th, 2020 at 6:45pm
Print Post  
Im interested in this as well, Im currently mucking around with a piece of Privet which seems to be holding its strength well, Im playing around with tillering it - its only 54 inches but is safely holding 23 kg - its at a rough stage of development but its an interesting little project.
I now have 3 X 6 foot privet Lengths during in the attic space and hopefully after more research Ill sort out exactly what I want.
Ill keep posting as I go, hopefully we can all learn from the postings👍

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Forum Senior

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - May 25th, 2020 at 8:19pm
Print Post  
Marrco  I got good straight manuka from roadside at kumara junction lol....there are stands of it all over the show.road to lewis pass has bits of it...pretty sure its on banks pininsula too.

IP Logged

Falcon01
Donor Member

Reply #11 - May 29th, 2020 at 4:38pm
Print Post  
Hi, probably not much help but there used to be a bowyer in Albany, Jerry Jessen, he didnt do self bows that I saw but made several recurves and Compounds using kanuka/manuka as riser wood. Kind of pinky from memory and had no issues with it that I remember

IP Logged

Carlsen Highway
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Jul 7th, 2020 at 9:50am
Print Post  
Needs to be seasoned wood for it to not split or peel. Have to lie it under the house for a year or two.

IP Logged

Harland Forge
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #13 - Feb 28th, 2021 at 8:18am
Print Post  
I'm new to the forum as well but I've been bow building for some time, I've been successful in chasing kanuka rings. I personally didn't think Kanuka had much spring so I'm playing around with a Maire branch that came down on a mate's place, VERY springy Shocked hopefully not too brittle. anyway, a fast way of drying staves is to paint the ends with WATER-BASED enamel paint, (better than PVA. oil-based won't stick to the wet wood) take the bark off and leave them in the hot water cupboard for a week, if the heat is even they shouldn't split check every day to be sure, then put them in a cool dry place for another week and they should be ready for tillering (10% moisture or less, a moisture reader is a handy thing to make sure, $40 at mitre 10 is worth it).
yep, I had 15 bows go firewood on me before I got it right, but I was particularly stupid Cheesy
« Last Edit: Mar 8th, 2021 at 7:53am by Harland Forge »  
YouTube  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2021. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards