Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Tauranga Harbour (giving duck season a nudge) (Read 284 times)
M C
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Tauranga Harbour (giving duck season a nudge)
Mar 26th, 2020 at 3:34pm
Print Post  
Hi All,

Mark here, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to give the duck season a go this year provided this virus plays ball!

I'm a keen deer hunter, however, I have never dabbled in ducks. I'm aware I've missed the boat on the ballot system, however, looking to try the Tauranga harbor out and secure some casual permits for ballot areas following initial weekends.

Any guidance or recommendations would be appreciated!

Cheers   

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Tauranga Harbour (giving duck season a nudge)
Reply #1 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 1:26pm
Print Post  
what water gear do you have accesses to boats / kayak  out board motors etc , decoys
im local sort of looking to buddy up with some one who may be able to get me out and about  , im a little not much short on a bit of gear  , out board tank  15 / 20 lt ,   very experienced  about aspects of shooting tauranga harbor  shot it for over 40 years ,
it can be hard to shoot  but can hold birds

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 1:31pm
Print Post  
you shooting with mates or are you thinking of giving it a go by your self ,

IP Logged

M C
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 9:25pm
Print Post  
Hi Willy,

I've got access to a kayak, in regards to hunting gear, I have some decoys, a caller, gun etc however no blind.

At the moment I was thinking of giving it a go myself, however, I'm open to teaming up.

I had planned on going for a scout but this lockdown has stitched me up!

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
ok a gillie suit is useful round the harbor   probably better than a blind not meany maimais left in shootable positions  left on the harbor , yes the lock down has screwed all plans

if you are planing to get out by your self sweet as by me pm me and  we can have a chat about hows wheres and tactics  if you want , some stuff i wont post up in the open here  Grin are you living city or country city end or katikati end

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 1:47pm
Print Post  
today the  major problems to shootable areas is access  as most areas today have housing  along most of the southern  harbor shore line  but saying that   200 meters is the legal distance    which is not that far,  so depending on your craft  skill or water craft  there is a lot of hunting out there ,   not only some shore lines  but  lots of opportunity's the other sides of the numerous main and small channels that snake though and across the harbor at low tide  , if you want to take a few birds here and there and get out and mix it with the salt water mud and sand, the southern side holds very little today in shoot able spots  sadly ,  but there are a few around mostly hard yards traveling over water to get to them   

the northern side has  a few more  that  still carry names of past glory's  , blue gum bay hunters creek duck bay  are a few

one of the major problems  today with tauranga in general is  the citys  ponds   which in a good duck season can hold hundreds of birds  but no no no shooting  Tongue its a long haul over to the northern side

most access  is governed by access   which is not that great katikati  end has better birds but worst access than tga end , the rivers and there mouths  can be best  but  the upper wairoa has lots of houses theses days , hard to find that spot thats over 200 that way or this ,

shooting low tide , public  feel safer if you are over the other side even though in far sided theory  you maybe shooting in their direction but 300 500 meters away , so all ying yang there

welcome bay  area  is shootable but  few birds in there , access into the eastern and northern area is again very limited  forget the southern shore line  the river mouth there has  very few birds  ,

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Mar 28th, 2020 at 2:10pm
Print Post  
tauranga city has lots of birds but they are all city birds  so beter look at the mud  Wink

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards