Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Possibly the only roar report for 2020! (Read 909 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Possibly the only roar report for 2020!
Mar 26th, 2020 at 10:34am
Print Post  
Well what a crazy few days. I was fortunate enough to have an early roar trip. I'd been contacted by a Brazilian fellow named Carlos a few months ago, he works for the same company as me and had found out I was a hunter. He was obviously mad keen but other than some small game hunting in his previous job as a dairy farmer hadn't done any hunting. I promised to take him out but first he had to prove himself as I'm happy to help people but I'm not babysitting or making it easy for them. So over the last few months he started collecting all the basic gear he needed and I showed him how to use the doc website to identify an area then go check it out. After a couple of unsuccessful day hunts on admittedly crappy local blocks I gave him a point in the right direction where he should be able to nab a deer and he happily reported back to me he'd shot a hind and yearling. I felt he was up to the task of a decent hunt now so we locked in 4 days for a fly in walk out trip to hopefully nail his first stag which brings us to last Friday.

Leaving chch at 5am I was hopeful we would get in before the forecast southerly was due to hit mid-morning but unfortunately upon arriving at the hangar the cloud rolled in and the pilot confirmed there would be no flying. Plan b was put into action and we drove to a farmer's house hoping to gain access to a 4wd track which would cut some time off our walk. After a chat explaining our situation, we were lucky enough to be granted access. Arriving at the track end the clag and rain had really set in so we decided to wait it out for the day at the truck. Awaking to no rain we quickly packed up and headed up the river as dawn broke. Arriving at the ridge I was hopeful would provide access to the tops we dropped packs to fill our water bottles. As I turned, I saw a very deer like shape on a little shingle slip upstream from us. Lifting my rifle for a closer look f**k it's a stag staring straight at us. I could’ve shot it easily but by the time Carlos got set up it ran back into the bush. Oh well that would've been too easy anyway I told him before we began the 5-hour gut buster up the ridge towards our intended drop off site. 

Setting up camp we spotted a few groups of hinds but no stags or roars. It wasn't until after dark finally we heard the magic sound of a stag roaring not far below camp where we'd been watching 4 hinds. I told Carlos we'd have to be on the spot at day break and we were, waiting in the dark for dawn to break. Just as it was light enough to see there he was, a good mature looking stag with his white tipped antlers illuminated in the dim light. I ranged him at 500m so I pointed out a rock that would get Carlos within 300m but by the time he got there the cunning bugger had already walked back into the bush. We retreated back to camp knowing we'd likely get another crack at him. 

After breakfast we decided to head up the ridge into some new country. A young scrubby stag was spotted but we decided to leave him. 

Mid afternoon we heard a stag roaring down on the next ridge up from us. After a bit of roaring back and forth we heard some stones falling in the distance and there he was, pushing 4 hinds across a slip further away from us. It was a long way around to where he was but Carlos was keen so off he went while I stayed put and tried to keep him roaring. Eventually Carlos arrived about 200m above where he was last seen disappearing into the bush. Of course, he'd shut up by this stage. I was thinking we had little chance of getting this stag by now. Carlos had nothing to lose so before heading back he let out a couple of roars. No reply. After a few mins Carlos started heading back when I hear a shot go off and watched through my binos as he walks over to a stag lying on the bush edge! He’d come in quietly to see off the intruder. Some yahoos were echoing through the valley after that  Grin It would've taken me over an hour to get around there so I left him to sort it out and headed back to try catch out the camp stag before it got dark. Arriving high above where he was last seen I heard a couple roars from down in the bush. Running out of light I slid down to get within range of the bush edge and gave a reply. I knew he wasn't far away and I suddenly spotted a decent set of antlers pushing up through the scrub below me. There was no way of getting a rest over the scrub where I was so a standing shot it would have to be. Watching him come up through my scope he was just about to emerge completely into the open when he suddenly turned and crashed back into the bush. Bugger! the slight downhill wind had given me away. 

Slogging my way back to the top I met an exhausted but elated Carlos with a superb even 34x30 8 pointer I estimated at 7-8 years old. There's crap genetics in this area and it was the best set of antlers you could hope to get,  a very good first stag.  He’d earned it too and I was thrilled for him

Arriving back at camp Carlos produced a pan, oil and seasoning he’d carted up so we fried some eye filet up which wasn’t too bad at all. The next morning the camp stag was predictably absent however a couple of hinds had fed up quite high so I popped one for meat and to keep the numbers in check.  The rest of the morning was spent fleshing out the head and packing up before the big slog out and arriving back to the news that the whole country was about to go into lock down.. So I'm very grateful I had the chance to have one final hit out for awhile and I'm feeling for all you poor buggers having to cancel plans!

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Re: Possibly the only roar report for 2020!
Reply #1 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 5:30pm
Print Post  
that 8 is a beautiful trophy,I really hope he does appreciate it....its even and its hard earned...good on you for getting the fella out n into it...enjoy your venison,it will help meek out supplies over the next month.

IP Logged

X-POACHER-YEAH RYT
Donor Member

Have you ever hunted Middle
Earth?

Reply #2 - Mar 26th, 2020 at 8:03pm
Print Post  
Nice report, and pic's, good effort, the both of you. Great for Carlos to get his first stag on his own, I know the feeling, from many decades ago.  Cool Smiley

Get as close as you can, then get a bit closer.

IP Logged

I-Slug

Reply #3 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 8:43am
Print Post  
Good stuff, great timing.

Be very dissapointing for the rest of the country if hunters who broke the restricted travel and isolation instructions and came and flaunted it by posting their ignorant self importance hunt on the web.

IP Logged

Pete82
Donor Member

Meat enthusiast

Reply #4 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 9:06am
Print Post  
Thats what I call last minute hunt  Cool

Well done to you guys.

My report of happy memories is to follow shortly!  Smiley

Shoot, cure, eat, repeat!

IP Logged

Trout
Donor Member

Top NZ WhiteTail

Reply #5 - Mar 27th, 2020 at 10:13am
Print Post  
Nice 8 pointer Carlos,good effort.

Shot a few deer,caugth some big trout and salmon

IP Logged

Joefish

Reply #6 - Mar 29th, 2020 at 11:23pm
Print Post  
He'd be very happy with that stag for his first,  well done to you both!!

IP Logged

s55

Reply #7 - Mar 30th, 2020 at 7:10am
Print Post  
two mates in for a week up whitcombe out on saturday,no roaring yet,didn't see anyone, Roll Eyesor stags,was in for two weeks but came out.

IP Logged

allroundslayer

Reply #8 - Mar 31st, 2020 at 7:19pm
Print Post  
nice work, i was hunting that area end of January, looking for a chamie, seen none, did you see any by any chance?

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #9 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 12:39pm
Print Post  
allroundslayer wrote on Mar 31st, 2020 at 7:19pm:
nice work, i was hunting that area end of January, looking for a chamie, seen none, did you see any by any chance?

Nah mate few and far between up there. I've only seen one in quite a few trips throughout that area and it aint there now  Grin. it was a 9 1/4 inch buck.

IP Logged

allroundslayer

Reply #10 - Apr 1st, 2020 at 6:51pm
Print Post  
haha nice!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards