Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Rate my gear list! (Read 1283 times)
Kaboomfa

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Rate my gear list!
Mar 18th, 2020 at 10:40am
Print Post  
Just weighed and wrote a list of everything I take. Interested to hear what people would remove or add or items I can replace for something lighter. The next thing Iím looking at is a better tent. At the moment I have a crappy cheap one man tent or my torpedo7 one which is built like a brick shithouse but quite heavy as a result. This is for south island walk in alpine hunting

Sleeping gear

Tatonka pack 3.070
1 man tent 1.400
Kathmandu summer bag 0.685
Thermarest neoair 0.615
Summit to sea Pillow 0.080

= 5.850

Food and cooking

Jet boil 0.610
Spoon and bowl 0.100

=0.710

1 Days food

2x oat sachets
2 scoop whey protein
6x oaty slices
Pack of bier sticks
Back country meal

=1.000

Hunting gear

Rifle 3.505
Binos 0.720
Bipod 0.310
Suppressor 0.470
3 spare bullets 0.070
Knife 0.215
Sharpener 0.045
PLB 0.160
Range finder 0.190
Camera 0.530
Front pack 0.325

= 6.540

Bits and pieces in a pencil case
Small can Deodorant 0.045
Sunscreen 0.070
3m cord 0.025
Walkie talkie 0.090
MH10 headlamp 0.165
Power bank 0.235
Tooth brush 0.025
Toilet paper 0.050
Small roll of tape 0.050
Oiled cleaning cloth
Painkillers
Survival blanket
Lighter

= 0.900

2x 30L dry bag 0.160
Spare fleece top 0.365
Rain jacket 0.480
Balaclava/gloves 0.150

= 1.155

Total = 15.155

Add +1kg for each day food

Winter extras
Thick socks 0.150
Thermal top 0.100
Big gas can 0.385
Black stag 800 1.360
Torpedo7 tent 2.840

= 17.915

IP Logged

Huntdeepsouth
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Rate my gear list!
Reply #1 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 3:23pm
Print Post  
your pack and rifle are over a third of your total weight alone. 15kg is not a bad effort though, well done. I had a mate take 18kgs for 10 days in fiordland, hes got a lightweight zpack and a light little rifle.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #2 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
looks plurry good to me.....I would have to loose 15kgs off my puku before I could complain about a pack that light...
walkie talkie only good if got someone to talk to.
deodorant/baby whipes.....quick whipe of armpits n arsehole makes a fella much fresher when you get back late...good for hands too before eating.
can get them in really small pack...bugger that the KFC ones dont exist anymore.
not a bipod man myself...its over the pack....
sleeping bag liner....ups rating of bag and keeps it cleaner...also awesome for keeping flies off a carcass or boned out meat...you can lay it in shade with meat inside and flies cant get in......

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 8:22pm
Print Post  
I'd be looking hard at your pack. There are ones around that are a lot lighter.
I've been told that the weight of your boots has a significant affect on tiredness

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #4 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 10:20am
Print Post  
Micky Duck wrote on Mar 18th, 2020 at 4:21pm:
looks plurry good to me.....I would have to loose 15kgs off my puku before I could complain about a pack that light...
walkie talkie only good if got someone to talk to.
deodorant/baby whipes.....quick whipe of armpits n arsehole makes a fella much fresher when you get back late...good for hands too before eating.
can get them in really small pack...bugger that the KFC ones dont exist anymore.
not a bipod man myself...its over the pack....
sleeping bag liner....ups rating of bag and keeps it cleaner...also awesome for keeping flies off a carcass or boned out meat...you can lay it in shade with meat inside and flies cant get in......

walkie talkie only goes if not solo obviously  Cheesy
If its an extended trip I'm usually with someone with baby wipes, I'll look into finding the smallest pack of them I can.
I find I shoot better with a bipod but I really should practice not relying on it.. bit of a pain to carry.
Sleeping bag liner is a good idea, especially with my summer bag. would def be useful for meat sometimes too. I've been using dry bags lately they're bloody gold. Can put them in a stream and keeps meat perfectly dry and chilled, also doesn't leak in ya pack..

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #5 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 10:25am
Print Post  
Backcountry Bob wrote on Mar 18th, 2020 at 8:22pm:
I've been told that the weight of your boots has a significant affect on tiredness

I've been running a smaller pack lately for some missions, I'm not sure if its even any lighter though. I guess I'm heading in the direction of running a complete different set up for short or summer hunts. If I can get light enough then I can ditch the heavy boots too

IP Logged

Kaboomfa

Reply #6 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 10:29am
Print Post  
Huntdeepsouth wrote on Mar 18th, 2020 at 3:23pm:
your pack and rifle are over a third of your total weight alone. 15kg is not a bad effort though, well done. I had a mate take 18kgs for 10 days in fiordland, hes got a lightweight zpack and a light little rifle.

That's incredible. I'm checking out the zpack website now  Grin

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 12:27pm
Print Post  
Backcountry Bob wrote on Mar 18th, 2020 at 8:22pm:

I got a 35 litre 'Huntec' pack which goes 2 1/2 lb I can cram my stuff in for a two or three day hunt. I like it because it sits fairly low on your back and because the fabric is fairly quiet - I hunt with it on.
Did have to spent though to reduce bulk and that meant a new lightweight sleeping bag (Marmot Helium) and other stuff. I also replaced some bulky clothing items with puffer jackets which weigh bugger all and squash down to nothing.
I also don't cook while I'm out there - I take 'oat cakes', sardines and stuff like that. I did make a 'beer can' meths cooker which works well for a cup of coffee (which is my luxury item), and that weighs ounces and sits inside a 400 ml titanium mug along with meths.
I also got a lightweight fly and spent quite big on a Thermarest Xtherm - cause I'm getting old and soft.

Lightweight boots do make a big difference, but you can't beat a heavy boot in rough country. I wear Buller's mostly these days - they're not too heavy but they do murder your feet if you're doing anything like river access walking or have any decent load.

I'm also carrying a 6 1/2 lb rifle - and the reduction in weight from my old rig is very noticeable - carrying a heavy gun can be very wearing.

And having said that - I've only used all my new stuff a couple of times - and have shot nothing, but I have been comfortable.

When I was trapping or meat hunting I carried well under 20 lb for two/three days in the bush, and I skinnied that weight down because I was usually loaded coming out and still had to carry out what I'd carried in (except food of course). Could carry quite heavy loads in those days - 160 lb at times and I'd have that on my back for three hours or longer getting it out.
You actually get used to it, but solid boots for that sort of stuff is imperative.

That's for N.I. hunting and moderate weather.

P.S, - that Helium is a warm bag and if I become uncomfortably hot in it, I just lie on the Xtherm and drape it over me.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 2:15pm
Print Post  
sleeping bag liners from the warehouse work just fine n dandy too....crams down to beercan size and weigh not a lot....I guess a silk one would be lighter but the $10 price tag is pretty hard to go past.

IP Logged

Backcountry Bob
Donor Member

Reply #9 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 6:24pm
Print Post  
Check out these ones too. Many choices of size.

https://www.hyperlitemountaingear.com/collections/packs

I've got one of these.
https://www.gossamergear.com/products/mariposa-60-lightweight-backpack

Only 60 litres but very light and has lasted 4 years with no significant signs of wear.

IP Logged

possum_shooter
Forum Senior

Reply #10 - Mar 20th, 2020 at 7:45am
Print Post  
Exped do a 60l pack called the lightning that weights around 1.1 kg and is rated to hold 24kg comfortably.
I know your not likely to change your cooking system but something like the Soto windmaster only weighs 85gms plus what ever weight gas canister you are using.  Also reduces some bulk.
I don't think 1.4 kg is heavy for a one person tent, for south island tops you want something that is going to hold up well to the wind.  Some of these super light weight tents use fabrics that are so light that a good fart would tear them.
Someone already mentioned light weight boots.  I went form a fairly heavy Asolo boot to a lightweight Salomon boot and would never go back to the heavier style boot.  Have even managed to use them with crampons.
Overall looks pretty good

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 7:33am
Print Post  
Pretty good.

Pack weight was definitely one I identified when reducing my weight. I bought the Hyperlite mountain gear south west 4400. Its big enough for any trip and weighs 1.1kg. So far I like it.
Like MD, I dont carry a bipod and use my daypack or the terrain. And also dont use a moderator- my thinking is Im not firing a heap of shots and carry the gun more than shoot it.

On the other side, I carry more clothes- I hate being cold and keep one set in a dry bag and am religious about keeping those dry for around camp/sleeping etc

IP Logged

hunter08

Reply #12 - Mar 21st, 2020 at 6:33pm
Print Post  
What do you use the power bank for I can't see any thing on the list to charge

IP Logged

outdoorlad
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 3:56am
Print Post  
Looks pretty good, seemed a bit short on a spare set of dry clothes?

Ive got a macpac cascade, heavy (2.8kg) but is bomb proof and comfy with a big load, I use it on longer trips. I also have an exped lightning 1.1kg that I use for shorter trips.
When I weighed all my gear I got a bit of a shock and pruned it down, Pack, tent, sleeping bag are the main ones to lighten up and getting rid of nice to have gear your unlikely to use.

IP Logged

Lauries Hut
Donor Member

Reply #14 - Mar 22nd, 2020 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Everyoneís correctly IDíd the pack as an easy opportunity to reduce weight.
I use a Macpac called Alpine series Ascent. Itís made of that dyneema fibre.

I was all set to buy a Hyperlight or Z pack, was undecided; and came across this. Donít particularly like Macpac, but on sale they are cheap; light, and strong. Very simple with one main compartment. One top compartment, two zips. I donít like packs with pockets and zips everywhere personally.
It has no frame which Iím sure will discourage some. I removed the foam padding from the back and fold my Neo-Air into the slot. Gives it great padding so long as you load it sensibly.
My pack and sleeping mat and silnylon fly and lightweight summer bag probably have a combined weight less than your pack alone.
I would use it for a week long trip, but itís fine for 3 - 4 days.

If your really worried about weight Iíd ditch the suppressor (or sissy can as Nathan Foster callers them) couple of foam earplugs in your pockets weight 000

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards