Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Deaf puppy. (Read 1059 times)
.threeoeight
Forum Senior

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Deaf puppy.
Mar 13th, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  
Contemplating getting a puppy. Shes a Blue healer with so far a lovely temperament. Not necerceraly as a hunting dog.
Havnt commited yet but thinking about it.

Obviously she cant be called and I think I understand the ramafacations of this. We nick named her Mute.

Any one had any experience with a young deaf dog?

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Deaf puppy.
Reply #1 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:32pm
Print Post  
Yes, every one of my dogs has been deaf. Grin

As a house dog it would be fine.With the right treatment it will stick to you like glue and hand signals are fine. Is is stone cold deaf or would it respond to a whistle.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #2 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:38pm
Print Post  
Not a deaf one, but my old boy was blind for a few months. I've got him the cataract operation now but for a while there I was walking around clicking my fingers so he could follow the noise like a feekin dolphin echo locating.
Deaf would be hard to deal with if the dog started tracking something away from you and you couldn't call him off. You would have to wait for the dog to look at you or throw something in front so they know you want their attention.

Actually maybe you could get a collar that vibrates when you send a signal so when it buzzes they know you want them to come back to you.

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:48pm
Print Post  
I think even tho in the kindness of your heart to give this pup a home you and the pup will end up both frustrated. I got a lab pup once that couldnt walk well alright when we got him went weak in one hind leg then in the other it was sad to see him like it he was never going to be good for a gun dog try,ed to re home him but no one wanted him .The guy i got him from offered to replace him from his next litter.We sadly had to put him down at 5months old the poor little bugger Sad Sad

IP Logged

Grunter
Donor Member

Reply #4 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 10:36am
Print Post  
headcase wrote on Mar 13th, 2020 at 8:32pm:
Yes, every one of my dogs has been deaf. Grin

As a house dog it would be fine.With the right treatment it will stick to you like glue and hand signals are fine. Is is stone cold deaf or would it respond to a whistle.

My brother had a deaf blue healer.  She was a good pet, lived a good life, loved chasing balls.

There was another dog in the same yard, that one hated thunderstorms.  If there were thunderstorms, the other dog would run and hide in a corner somewhere.  The healer didn't know what was going on, but would follow the other dog and stand in the corner with its mate. Grin

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 1:58pm
Print Post  
Grin  Grin

I think Rugermans suggestion is a great one. With a buzzer on the neck youd be able to teach it to come anytime, and probably a lot more if thats what you wanted.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

.threeoeight
Forum Senior

Reply #6 - Mar 14th, 2020 at 6:35pm
Print Post  
Thanks for your input guys.
Spoke to the owner and hes decided to hang on to it.
So scrap that one.

Its the nut behind the butt, that counts.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #7 - Mar 15th, 2020 at 3:13pm
Print Post  
deaf dog...sees something of interest and follows it out onto road,doesnt look and cant hear cars.....bound to end in tears.....
yes sometimes our dogs turn the ears off...but without them its only a matter of time before it turns to custard. we put our old girl down when she went deaf as were worried with young kids around she COULD get a fright and snap.....
best avoided me thinks.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Mar 19th, 2020 at 8:22am
Print Post  
have heard of 2 deaf dogs, both great pets, very loyal, youd have to have a good bond with them,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards