Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Wild Pig Sighting Frequency (Read 1428 times)
ChasingTail
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Wild Pig Sighting Frequency
Mar 10th, 2020 at 9:41pm
Print Post  
Just curious how unusual it is to spot wild pig here. Would appreciate any input. Saw 2 medium sized pigs under a tree on the North Island last Thursday on our way from Lake Taupo to New Plymouth. They were about 100 meters off the road. Spotted a 3rd nice 150-200 pounder near Cheviot on the South Island yesterday just driving around not hunting. I have a nice photo but canít seem to attach from iPhone. Estimating the size based on my sole wild pig I bagged 2 years ago.

Me and the wife are from San Diego and on a 3 week non hunting vacation. You have phenomenal Outdoors here! Thanks.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Wild Pig Sighting Frequency
Reply #1 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 8:10am
Print Post  
Hi there, welcome to the forum and of course to NZ.
Itís not unusual to see pigs on the side of the road in the pine forests of central north island.
Most people never see them, but a lot of truck drivers that regularly travel those roads report often seeing them.
During hunting season in those forests (winter) a lot of pigs learn that if they live beside the busy roads they wonít get chased (most hunters avoid those areas because of risk to their dogs).

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #2 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 1:01pm
Print Post  

A year or two ago the family went blueberry picking on a place not far from Fitzgerald Glade heading toward the Waikato.
There were a few people there and a couple of small pigs snuffling between the rows hoovering up the groundfall. They mostly got ignored except by some little kids who tried to give them a 'pet', but the pigs would just skitter out of the way.
They were quite unconcerned with the people around them and most thought they were tame, belonging to the orchard.

On the way out as the berries were weighed and payed for, I asked the owner if they were wild, because I was pretty sure they were.
"Oh yep, they come out the bush from across the road."

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #3 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 2:02pm
Print Post  
Quite normal to see rooting on side of road in Fitzgerald glade.

Mate of mine who lived a few hundred metres from forest up here came home one day and a couple of wild piglets jumped out of blackberry beside his driveway.

Sows often sneak into such places to have their litters. Must know theyíll be left in peace there.

When the pigs up here have been hunted hard the best place to find one is right behind the picnic areas.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
like spotlighted rabbits....around proples driveways n on front lawns....they know they are safe.
spotting pigs on side of road does happen but its not an every day thing...pleased you folk are enjoying your stay in this wonderful country.

IP Logged

ChasingTail
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 18th, 2020 at 10:12pm
Print Post  
Thanks for the responses and input. While we were not hunting on this trip, my wife and I feel lucky having seen 3 wild pigs, 2 small heards of wild goats (one with an impressive set of horns), 2 quail coveys, couple of wild turkey, and a rooster pheasant. I glassed a little near the Aoraki Mt. Cook but never saw a Tahr. Didnít expect to as I knew they were illusive and up high. Same thing, looked for just a small amount of time for a wild red stag in Fiordland and Glenorchy areas but no luck.

Good luck this hunting season! Cheers.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards