Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Anyone willing to exchange trip for Illinois public Whitetails? (Read 1849 times)
Jimbow
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Anyone willing to exchange trip for Illinois public Whitetails?
Mar 9th, 2020 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
Hi,

My name is Jim, I'm 26 years old, and I suffer from an addiction that prioritizes hunting over most other things in my life. I am headed to your great country in a few weeks to bowhunt (mostly to learn the open areas and the animals better) but would be just as happy to help people pack an animal out or tag along for a hunt. I've come to enjoy that just as much.  This trip would serve me as an investment in knowledge for years to come, rather than a once in a lifetime thing. The past few months I have been behind the laptop screen studying everything I can about the DOC lands and regulations, 1080 zones etc. If any of you have an open spot in your party for a guy like myself, please let me know! I'd happy exchange a hunt in my home state, which I'll elaborate on in a bit. The same is true if you'd like to join my trip, as doing this solo is 2x the price as having two or three guys. I don't expect you to say anything without knowing me, so here's a bit about myself.

I am not much of an antler hunter, my favorite aspect of hunting is making wild game for my friends and family to enjoy. The deer around here are corn fed, they are trophies at the table. I teach the hunter safety course in my home town, something I really enjoy.

All of my hunting is on public land, and I have been fortunate to harvest at least one with the bow every year since I was 16. I have guided a few hunts, and thankfully all of which were successful in getting their bucks. The past few years (this is a secret of mine), I have been using a canoe heavily to get to areas far from other access, and that adds an incredible element to an already enjoyable hunt. Canoe hunting is as practical as it is peaceful.

Illinois has two weekends where firearms are permitted to hunt deer. Combined with low hunter numbers and agriculture, our deer herds are healthy and extremely abundant; not to mention size. Brewster's buck last year was the biggest wild whitetail buck in history, and it was shot last year an hour from where I typically hunt. I work with the landowner, they are good guys.

I install solar panels for a living for my best friends company, been doing that since I graduated college. Will be applying for a company in NZ while I'm out there as well. If you are seriously interested, please send me a pm. I look forward to meeting some of you, thank you! Jim

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Re: Anyone willing to exchange trip for Illinois public Whitetails?
Reply #1 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 6:10am
Print Post  
hi, I might be able to point you in the right direction, keep posting  some photos and yarns would be great

IP Logged

Jimbow
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 9:05am
Print Post  
Thanks bufferzone, will do- having some issues posting pictures, even with the Imgbb deal

IP Logged

Jimbow
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 9:30am
Print Post  

One of my more memorable hunts, took this one while living in the central part of the state

Here's my friends first deer, and my first swing at guiding.

A dandy 10 pointer I took in highschool, dad was with me for that one- one of my favorite days ever

My pals and I go pretty hard for duck season, definetly took a few years off my life hunting ducks

My beloved canoe I built, names Covfefe.

Best friend and his first Canvasback- they migrate hard where we hunt, by my grandfathers river shack

One of the better days we've had on the mighty Mississippi- eating ramen noodles/ coffee to stay alive this day

IP Logged

Jimbow
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 9:51am
Print Post  

Here's one of the deer I took this year- I was fortunate to take 3 from public land. I have neighbors/ family that don't hunt but love venison. Something about bowhunting with canoes, I swear

Another deer prime for the table, this was this season as well

rene daumal

Heres my solo packout setup

Braised venison shoulder- potentially my favorite dish

Canvasback as they served it in 1905- this one was fit for a king

IP Logged

Jimbow
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 10:03am
Print Post  

A good day this past season with the guys

Home stretch

With turkey season comes mushrooms and trout

Some guys like to go fast, some guys like gambling, some guys like drugs. This is what I am addicted to, could be worse!

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #6 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 11:35am
Print Post  
Corn fed?

Is it that they feed in the cornfields or are they actually fed corn by people?

Seems a shame youíre only allowed to hunt them with a gun 2 weekends of the year.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #7 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 1:05pm
Print Post  
Great pics, cheers for posting Smiley looks like a great place to hunt and get into the outdoors

IP Logged

Jimbow
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Maddoghunter wrote on Mar 10th, 2020 at 11:35am:
Corn fed?

Is it that they feed in the cornfields or are they actually fed corn by people?

Seems a shame youíre only allowed to hunt them with a gun 2 weekends of the year.

Thanks for the reply maddog, here it is overwhelmingly agricultural fields (corn and soybean) that we hunt- the pockets of woods between fields, that sort of thing. As for the gun seasons, I really don't know why its so restricted. I'd probably be alot more upset about it if bowhunting here wasn't so effective.. no rifles either, only slugs, muzzleloaders and handguns

IP Logged

Jimbow
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Rugerman wrote on Mar 10th, 2020 at 1:05pm:
Great pics, cheers for posting Smiley looks like a great place to hunt and get into the outdoors

Thanks Rugerman! I'm very glad to have got into this forum to experience your country as well- if you are ever in this neck of the woods, give me a call!

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #10 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 5:07pm
Print Post  

Good photos - they really tell the story.
I wish you good fortune in finding someone here to help point the way - can take a bit of getting used to if you haven't been here before.

I have eaten Stewart Island whitetail cooked in a camp oven, and while that was over forty years ago, I still remember that meal  Smiley

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Mar 10th, 2020 at 5:52pm
Print Post  
Awesome photos and introduction of yourself. Have sent you a message.

IP Logged

Jimbow
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 3:50pm
Print Post  
SF90 wrote on Mar 10th, 2020 at 5:07pm:
Good photos - they really tell the story.
I wish you good fortune in finding someone here to help point the way - can take a bit of getting used to if you haven't been here before.

I have eaten Stewart Island whitetail cooked in a camp oven, and while that was over forty years ago, I still remember that meal† Smiley

Thanks SF90, there's a lot of story in them I can promise that haha, I'm glad you liked them. Much of the midwest hunting is great and easily accessible at the same time, generally the land is pretty flat.. I'm sure getting used to your beautiful country will take a lot to get used to! That's awesome about Stewart Island, venison is a special thing that's for sure; have you heard of an author named Hank Shaw? Phenomenal wild game cook books, I cant recommend him enough

IP Logged

SF90
Donor Member

Reply #13 - Mar 11th, 2020 at 8:08pm
Print Post  

No, I haven't heard of Hank - I'm no great shakes as a cook, but occasionally I come up with something worth eating.

Don't know if we have much flat land hunting here, certainly not where I am - it's 'caldera country' in the Rotorua Lakes District with some pretty steep up's and down's and lotsa bluffs.
Most of NZ is up and down to some degree - can't think when I might have hunted anywhere flat, don't know if I have ?

Stewart Island was flattish I suppose, and really good hunting. Most of it is around the edges, so you're not far from the coast - but that's a beautiful place and worth a think about.
Probably need some mates to do that with to share costs - it's divided into hunting blocks and you need to book to hunt there.

Good luck mate  Smiley

IP Logged

Jimbow
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #14 - Mar 12th, 2020 at 1:12am
Print Post  
Weíve got a good deal of flat, but up into wisconsin it gets into hills, and by the river the bluffs are awesome- thatís where those duck hunting pics are from. Canít express how stoked I am to see nzís geography up close though, the pictures make it feel like a wild haven and a gift. Iíve heard a bit about Stewart Island, not many places you can hunt whitetail with ocean views, thatís amazing and on the list for sure

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards