Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Ducks dying of botulism (Read 1185 times)
hauraki hunter
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Ducks dying of botulism
Feb 11th, 2020 at 9:46pm
Print Post  
Ducks are dying in large numbers in the Hauraki plains /Piako river /mouth of rivers that run into the firth of Thames and drains.Because of lack of rain botulism is killing them by the hundreds if not thousands. Fish and game and local hunters including myself have been picking up dead and dying ducks and disposing of them by burying them.A team picked up over 300 yesterday on Piako river and local drains.If you find sick or dead ducks pick them up with gloves and bury them it only takes a duck to eat 1 maggot from a infected dead duck to kill it by removing them from the environment it will help minimise the impact.With no rain forecast its not looking good for the upcoming duck season . Sad Sad

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Re: Ducks dying of botulism
Reply #1 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 12:56pm
Print Post  
Just went on piako river and picked up 35 dead ducks off about 10kms of the river.plus alot of sick dying ducks there. Sad Sad

IP Logged

Loudy
Just Joined

Cut em, cut em!!!

Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 9:31pm
Print Post  
From a hunter who travels to the plains every year for duck shooting, it is greatly appreciated the work you do mate. Keep it up and I am in full swing rain dance mode!!!

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 6:30pm
Print Post  
Just on 3000 dead ducks have been picked up . a thousand of those from Thames waste water plant. Sad

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #4 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 7:59pm
Print Post  
Wow! Thats not flash.
My pond has gone from 5 ducks to 50 in the last three days, as surrounding farm ponds dry up. Mine is spring fed, and still overflowing, despite all farms around us being a carpet of brown.

IP Logged

willy2

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 16th, 2020 at 10:17am
Print Post  
not good at all , i live  close to k valley in tauranga which has a lot of  old duck ponds in it  i  have heard of one dead bird , the duck tend to move into the valley closer to  may  i have not really noticed an increase in bird numbers yet , ps great work  hauraki hunter

IP Logged

thebomb
Donor Member

Reply #6 - Feb 18th, 2020 at 3:48pm
Print Post  
No doubt the filthy public lake I shoot in Huntly will be full of duck carcasses then...🥺

IP Logged

hauraki hunter
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Feb 19th, 2020 at 9:24pm
Print Post  
thebomb wrote on Feb 18th, 2020 at 3:48pm:
No doubt the filthy public lake I shoot in Huntly will be full of duck carcasses then...🥺

Mostly affecting ducks in Thames valley and Hauraki plains 3500 have being picked up now and at least 1000 dead ones not found. 4500 ducks at 10bird limit per person is limits for 450 hunters so a big dent put in the local population. SadNow hawks are dying from eating the dead ducks.
« Last Edit: Feb 20th, 2020 at 1:50pm by hauraki hunter »  

IP Logged

fowlplay
Just Joined

Reply #8 - Mar 1st, 2020 at 8:06pm
Print Post  
Yeah i have seen them all deqd and dying on the piako. Wouldnt really want to eat one in May so is it even worth shooting them this year if we dont get decent rain a month beforehand?

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards