Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Flat sea big pressure waves, bar crossing. (Read 10080 times)
ICEMAN
Forum Font

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Flat sea big pressure waves, bar crossing.
Feb 11th, 2020 at 1:11pm
Print Post  
This clip is public on FB so most should be able to see it.

https://www.facebook.com/rtrsenior/videos/10221741927683604/

The 750HT Osprey is a special kind of boat, still blows me away how soft riding it is, no harsh wave impact still has me grinning from ear to ear, plus the Shockwave seats with adjustable rebound etc means I can have a coffee regardless of sea conditions without spilling any. This boats stability at rest is phenominal and the grandkids love fishing out of her.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Re: Flat sea big pressure waves, bar crossing.
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 7:09pm
Print Post  
Wow!  Smoooth as butter Smiley

IP Logged

cac

Reply #2 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 8:57pm
Print Post  
How do you think osprey compares to kiwi kraft? Pretty similar?

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #3 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 10:03pm
Print Post  
cac wrote on Feb 28th, 2020 at 8:57pm:
How do you think osprey compares to kiwi kraft? Pretty similar?

If you can watch the video on FB you will see just how soft riding these boats can be, even with the bow trimmed up a bit they just don't slam down hard.

The 6.3mt kiwi Kraft was an awesome boat, I have no experience with the newer models, but the one we had was a very much lighter boat than this 7.5mt Osprey.

The Osprey is a much heavier and stronger built boat which equals a much better riding hull when things get unpleasant regardless of  its 23 degree deadrise at the transom with the reverse chine pontoons that help.

I have never experienced such a soft riding hull as this Osprey, Most trailer boats particularly Ally ones all  have a tendency for harsh wave impacts, not this Osprey, mind you its around 2 tonne of boat and motor  which probably needs a wee bit more HP than similar sized but lighter boats, the 300HP G2 Evinrude is an exceptional engine for power , torque and fuel economy. BRP have outstripped all other brands and the world wide reviews and tests done with their peers consistently show their superiority.

IP Logged

cac

Reply #4 - Feb 28th, 2020 at 10:40pm
Print Post  
Cheers .  I have owned Stabis, Senators and Kiwi Krafts and liked Kiwi kraft out of those 3 the most by far actually.  At the moment have a Kiwi kraft 5.9 hard top and have always wondered about Ospreys.  Would still stick to boat around 6m though.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #5 - Feb 29th, 2020 at 11:39am
Print Post  
cac wrote on Feb 28th, 2020 at 10:40pm:
Cheers .  I have owned Stabis, Senators and Kiwi Krafts and liked Kiwi kraft out of those 3 the most by far actually.  At the moment have a Kiwi kraft 5.9 hard top and have always wondered about Ospreys.  Would still stick to boat around 6m though.

Yes, agree 100%  the Kiwi kraft was the best out of those other brands. 

The osprey guys are awesome and very accommodating, They allowed us to make heaps of alterations to suit our fishing requirements and of course their Boats are built to Survey.
They can organize a day for you to go out in one or two of their boats so you can see for your self just how good they are.

Their client base is mostly Commercial which speaks volumes, especially when  these operators keep going back to Osprey and are getting more of their boats added to their fleet. We talked heaps to Rakiura charters who work the Sea between Stewart island and Bluff, they  couldnt say enough about their Ospreys.
Check them out and the Osprey owners group, I have not found one bad comment about them since we began the research process over two years ago.

IP Logged

Got-ya

Reply #6 - May 31st, 2020 at 5:06pm
Print Post  
Brother inlaw has a 775 Aqualite. It also is very soft riding.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #7 - Jun 2nd, 2020 at 12:45pm
Print Post  
Got-ya wrote on May 31st, 2020 at 5:06pm:
Brother inlaw has a 775 Aqualite. It also is very soft riding.

Very nice boats.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #8 - Jun 3rd, 2020 at 3:01pm
Print Post  
That's a nice boat Iceman Smiley
Last time I came in there, there were standing waves right across the entrance. It really put the shits right up me  Shocked
Sure was happy to get me feet back on the ground after that.
Hollowed out triangular waves about 1.5m high. Looked like bloody mogels on the ski slope

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #9 - Jun 6th, 2020 at 7:13pm
Print Post  
Rugerman wrote on Jun 3rd, 2020 at 3:01pm:
That's a nice boat Iceman Smiley
Last time I came in there, there were standing waves right across the entrance. It really put the shits right up me  Shocked
Sure was happy to get me feet back on the ground after that.
Hollowed out triangular waves about 1.5m high. Looked like bloody mogels on the ski slope

yes she can be a treacherous bar.  The best time to cross is certainly not on a quick outgoing tide, and even more so if there has been  some rain inland over the last few days, as this really pushes some water out to meet the sea head on.
You will notice these waves are not moving inwards, but just standing up as the outgoing water meets the sea, often the turbulent water is filled with air bubbles and boats do not float on air which is why they can look unexpectedly lower in the water than usual.

This crossing was on a calm day at sea with very little swell, but it was on a higher tide that was ebbing at its peak flow rate.
If there had been any sort of  swell at sea and if there had been a fresh in the river (rain water from inland) the crossing would have been put on hold for a few hours.

IP Logged

Got-ya

Reply #10 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 8:45am
Print Post  
Seen this? While I have not had an etec I always liked the idea.

https://hauloverinlet.com/evinrude-discontinued/?fbclid=IwAR3mxdDBYYAelWxzfgRpj8
s-ia67jkGys9_byYjKnV5xQvissE_uqe_nCDU

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #11 - Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:58pm
Print Post  
Yeah Ice there was a heap of water in the river and the tide was about 2 hours before low. Maybe 2-2.5m swell running. I would not go out again in those conditions again, but I sure learnt how the boat could cope in that scenario

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #12 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 4:30pm
Print Post  
Got-ya wrote on Jun 7th, 2020 at 8:45am:
Seen this? While I have not had an etec I always liked the idea.

https://hauloverinlet.com/evinrude-discontinued/?fbclid=IwAR3mxdDBYYAelWxzfgRpj8
s-ia67jkGys9_byYjKnV5xQvissE_uqe_nCDU

Yes, a shame because they are an amazing outboard, seems like much of BRP resources are going into their Ghost engine (electric) The new engine owners will be pretty happy they are sticking by their  exceptional warranties, servicing  and parts.

The G2 was the most economical and pure power outboard I have experienced, but i imagine environmentalists also put a lot of pressure on two stroke engine manufacturers.
Many of the outboard boat racers will be pleased as the Evinrude was leaving  other brands for dead.
Fingers crossed we get a few more years of reliable use, this one has already clocked up a lot of hours in a short time, lol.

IP Logged

ICEMAN
Forum Font

Reply #13 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 4:39pm
Print Post  
Rugerman wrote on Jun 7th, 2020 at 9:58pm:
Yeah Ice there was a heap of water in the river and the tide was about 2 hours before low. Maybe 2-2.5m swell running. I would not go out again in those conditions again, but I sure learnt how the boat could cope in that scenario

I think many boats in capable hands are safe and care is taken. But when engines stop without warning whilst crossing, poor decisions or lack of boating skills,  or a boats underpowered things go wrong.
Crossing a bar with an outgoing tide is certainly not a good decision in marginal conditions when just a few hours spent a bit further out to sea can be life saving. I advise all boaties to purchase a drogue so you can at least keep the bow pointing in to the sea if broken down.

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #14 - Jun 8th, 2020 at 5:15pm
Print Post  
yep totally agree Ice. I bought a drogue after that Smiley
Definitely didn't have enough gas for a few more hours out at sea and she was way too rough to anchor. Just in a little 5.2m Mclay.
Luckily I lived and learnt 
Much more prepared to pull the pin and not launch even after a bit of a drive to get there. I know how to handle the boat in the waves, but those standing waves were a new experience.
Luckily I went softly softly so I didn't nosedive under one of the mothers Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards