Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Help pls.... dog has started whining/barking post shot (Read 292 times)
Cuzza
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Help pls.... dog has started whining/barking post shot
Feb 11th, 2020 at 12:44pm
Print Post  
She has had maybe 25 odd deer shot over here, in terms of her control up to shooting position, she gets bloody excited, but will hold, and generally is quiet (for up to about 5 mins currently, vast improvement from 30 seconds a year or two ago!) but once the shot is fired she just starts to make noise, and if ever more than one shot fired she really gets wound up. Up on hind legs trying to see animal, if i call her in she leans hard up against me, and just desperate to go find whatever she thinks has been shot. Not gunshy at all, is just desperate to get involved, not sure what or how to deal with this.
Last few times we have been out, Ive sat and watched deer rather than shoot them, and not a peep from her, but all changes when the shooting starts. Any ideas would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Maddoghunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Re: Help pls.... dog has started whining/barking post shot
Reply #1 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 1:02pm
Print Post  
After you’ve shot the deer sit down and have a break for 5 minutes, then get dog to calmly lead you to deer. If she starts getting too excited stop and repeat.

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Reply #2 - Feb 11th, 2020 at 7:11pm
Print Post  
Unsupressed rifle??? Bit hard on pooch's ears. If the bang is not so noisy it may be easier to convey to her to remain calm....like you.

IP Logged

Cuzza
Donor Member

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 7:17am
Print Post  
Suppressed, and is something that's only really escalated in the past few months

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #4 - Feb 12th, 2020 at 6:07pm
Print Post  
GO shoot some paper...and rabbits...and paper...and rabbits... try deer again,when dog does undesireable...stop,sit,wait...when calm   ....move forward again and again till it clicks in again.
I feel the pain as my bitch sometimes will whine when deer is close,almost to let me know she has heard it and I havent....doesnt bark anymore thank goodness.

my bitch is a mirror.....if I can stay calm so will she.an open country deer in plain sight would be just the ticket for you...dog will have to behave or you just keep stopping,if she breaks...get her and take back to start untill she gets it right.  YOU ARE THE BOSS.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2020 at 10:57pm
Print Post  
Cuzza wrote on Feb 11th, 2020 at 12:44pm:
... is just desperate to get involved, ...

That's exactly what is happening. For her, a shot = excitement as she finally can "hunt" and find prey for the pack -  she has earned her spot by providing. And since it happens (nearly) every time a shot has been fired, that became her signal.

Break that habit by shooting more without actually killing something. Once shooting becomes unpredictable/unequal "hunting" for her, she will calm down again.

Worked for my Lab. Taking him if I test new loads, do target practice, etc. so he learned that a shot is just a shot and doesn't mean prey every single time. Will also shoot a hare or magpie every now and then so he sees it but we will walk away. Again, a shot and an animal doesn't automatically means "hunting" now for him.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Donor Member

You shot it..You pluck
it

Reply #6 - Feb 14th, 2020 at 7:25pm
Print Post  
Jasa you said it so much betterer than I did....LOL.

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 5:53am
Print Post  
i always take my dog to the range when i need to sight in,

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2020 at 5:53am
Print Post  
i always take my dog to the range when i need to sight in,

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards