Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic First Bow Kill (Read 926 times)
YoungNDumb
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

First Bow Kill
Feb 4th, 2020 at 1:40am
Print Post  
Posted this in the hunting reports but thought I'd post here too being my first bow kill.

It started off as a trip up to Marlborough for work, I left late on Jan 14th after settling my daughter into bed, and I drove all the way up to Kaikoura where I decided I was too tired to keep driving and pulled into the rest area that was my campsite for the night. I hung my hammock and Tarp, threw the sleeping bag in and rolled in for an awesome sleep listening to the waves crash gently on the beach. Woke up at 5am Wednesday morning, watch beeping, phone blaring away time to get up and move decided I'd skip breakfast and just pack up camp and head up the road until I saw a couple of goats on the hill about 250m away feeding in a bit of a clearing. So I parked up and got everything ready, I sat down to watch them through the binos for about 5 minutes before I decide I'd head off to go chase them.

30 minutes later I'm steadily zig-zagging my way up the side of the hill but I'm slowly getting closer and closer to the clearing where I saw the goats. After about 20 more minutes climbing and I finally poke my head over the rise to see a young brown nanny and an older white nanny feeding about 40m away in the same clearing I spotted them in. I had a 10 minute break tto catch my breath and just sat watching them. Dropped my pack and it was time to stalk in closer because I can't confidently shoot out to 40m yet and I want to take the goat home to feed my dogs. Stalked in to about 25m before I set up for a shot and as I took one step closer I managed to find the loudest damn stick and snap it, which in turn spooked em before I could even find my anchor point. I followed them up and around but quickly lost them after going round one corner. And being unfamiliar with the land and not wanting to keep hunting in heavy bloody steel cap boots that were starting to give me blisters I decided to call it a day and head back down the hill, I came back to the clearing and started heading back down the same way I came up.

Just as I start to make my way down I spot movements in the corner of my eye and look over to see 2 identical young kids just staring at me, they were tucked in underneath the exposed roots of a ngarly old tree where I ranged them at 15m and thought. F*ck it today is the day. I want to get my first bow kill! So I nocked an arrow and slowly drew back on my bow, found my anchor point and set the pin behind the shoulder on the one standing broadside but as I'm about to squeeze the trigger on my release it turns towards me and Ijust see this blue arrow flying towards the goats chest, it was a solid hit and the poor little bugger jumps kicks its hind legs out, lands and shoots off down the hill beside me. I look back to where I shot it and its twin is still sitting there shaking. I decided to let it walk because I had one already and I noticed my arrow wasn't there. All of this seems to have happened in the blink of an eye and I'm sorta stunned. I come to my senses pretty quickly and start heading in the direction I last saw the goat.

As I come sidling round the corner I spot my first signs of a blood trail starting off as just a couple of drops, slowly following the trail and it's getting to bigger splashes of blood where I'm guessing it's stood still for a few seconds. 2 minutes later I find my arrow bloodied from end to end and the cheap broadhead ruined. And finally after 3 months of shooting a bow I have my very first bow kill. Couple of pics and a quick gut job and it was time to head the rest of the way down the hill and back to the truck where I tied the goat to my spare wheel and continued to drive on up to Blenheim. I'll tell you what, nothing could wipe the smile from my face for the next 3 days!!

Thanks for taking the time to read my post 👍 I'll leave ya with my favourite quote.

"Be good, if you can't be good. Be careful"

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Re: First Bow Kill
Reply #1 - Feb 4th, 2020 at 8:20am
Print Post  
Great write up and well done on ya first bow critter Smiley

Sometimes you can stop a goat hoofing it by letting out a bleat, but it does depend on how twitchy they are.

I would be sharing the goat with the dog since they are pretty good eating Smiley

IP Logged

Swodem
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

I hunt with my friends
Mathews, Leica and Nikon

Reply #2 - Feb 4th, 2020 at 9:14am
Print Post  
Good stuff. Got any pics?

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Feb 4th, 2020 at 7:22pm
Print Post  
Excellent.  Smiley

We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.
IP Logged

Radar
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

Armed Tramper 😈

Reply #4 - Feb 6th, 2020 at 3:07pm
Print Post  
Nice - 1st goat is always the one you remember most. If its a young in itll be great eating - mutton without the fat!!!

Fate whispers to the warrior
'you cannot withstand the storm',
And the warrior whispers back
' I am the storm'
Toys
Tikka the T3 Hunter 7mm08
Baikal .223 Spartan
Martin Falcon 65lb Compound bow

IP Logged

YoungNDumb
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Feb 9th, 2020 at 8:44pm
Print Post  
Cheers guys and yes Swodem I do have pictures just don't have any idea how to post them on site? I ended up making a korma out of the goat and by god was it amazing! Need to get me some more I think. Wish I knew spots closer to Christchurch for them

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards