Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2  Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Advice on my naive approach to becoming a bowhunter (Read 1809 times)
tahr
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Advice on my naive approach to becoming a bowhunter
Jan 25th, 2020 at 5:22pm
Print Post  
Hi All! Thanks for taking the time to read.
I致e been infatuated with bow hunting for a long time and would like to develop the needed skills, and hopefully get some meat as well.

The Good:
I知 a good shot, and I知 in great shape.

The Bad:
I have no idea what I知 doing. I致e never been a hunter of any sort.

Anyway, my plan to develop these skills is pretty basic, essentially just to go to the closest hunting blocks, and try and find and stalk some animals. I only have one day free each week for the next 10 weeks so I plan to go to:

- Mt Thomas Forest
- My Grey
- Oxford Forest
- Broken River
- 13 Mile Bush
- Puketeraki
- Lochinvar
- Craigieburn
- Black Hill range
- Mt Somers

I知 not sure if this is a terrible plan or if there is something more sophisticated I could be doing. I figure I could be focusing on one area or on one species or something. But I知 not sure.
Anyway, all advice would be appreciated. Any resources or tips or anything.

Thanks in advance!

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Advice on my naive approach to becoming a bowhunter
Reply #1 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 8:34pm
Print Post  
So  a few issues come to mind. The first skill's you have to learn, is to find animals and stalk them. Start with some basics and try find a friendly farmer who will let you hunt rabbit or goats, or maybe head to one of the areas with high numbers of wallabies. In the beginning its a numbers game and you will learn more by getting yourself in positions to see and stalk lots of animals, and most likely failing quite a lot. rather than targeting say deer, where there is a good chance you may only see one animal in a days hunting.

I would also suggest trying to find someone with some hunting experience to tag along with. In the beginning it will not matter whether they hunt with bow or rifle, its the experience you are looking for.

What is your bow and arrow/Broad head set up?

IP Logged

tahr
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 25th, 2020 at 9:44pm
Print Post  
Shankspony, thank you so much!

I'd love to try on a farm but i feel like I'm to inexperienced to go and bother a farmer..
I didn't think about that but it makes a lot of sense to build those skills on something more abundant. Are there hunting blocks with Wallabies near to christchurch though? I thought they were largely down south.

I'm using a 60lb Hoyt Helix Turbo with g5 montec broadheads.
I would love to get to head out with someone however i think my schedule is a little unconventional which makes it hard  Sad.

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 8:33am
Print Post  
Ok, So for what its worth, you are going to have to have a lot of motivation, as the path you want to head down could get discouraging. Im not trying to put you off, rather letting you know that at times you might feel like giving up.
Don't.

Set yourself some realistic goals. Mu suggestions are in your first trips, set the goal of finding fresh animal sign, and consider your day a successive you do.
next goal is to spot an animal and after that to spot one that hasn't seen you.

Rather than visiting lots of different spots, concentrate on one area and get to know it. Get to know where you are seeing sign, and where you are finding animals.

I dont know why you have the schedule you do, but I would say consider heading off late the evening before so that you can be in a good hunting area at first light, and spend the first hour or so just watching from a good vantage point.
A decent set of binoculars are an essential tool.

Another very worthwhile idea is to join the deerstalkers association and enrol on their hunts course. It will cover some basics like field prep etc that will come in handy.

IP Logged

tahr
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 10:53am
Print Post  
Okay great! I will work with those as my first goals!
I understand that it is going to take me a long time so that's alright with me. I really appreciate the goals, It is great to be able to break it down.
I can definitely head out in the late evening, as you suggest so i will do that.

Okay i will focus on one area, should i just hit up the area closest to me like the Mt. Thomas area. Or are there 'beginner' areas that i should stick to?

Thanks again for the advice!

-- Just another thought:
I'm pretty itchy to go and spend a bunch of money on flash gear but realistically i don't know what is useful or not. I have a decent set of binos, and a good knife but not much else. Should i wait before investing or are there some good things i should purchase straight away?

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #5 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 11:23am
Print Post  
I can't help with suggesting an area as a starting point as I dont know your region and I suspect not many will be willing to tell someone if they are hunting it all ready. You will probably have to spend some time looking for yourself.

Get yourself a good daypack that can carry a load of meat home in, and some safety equipment such as a quality raincoat and warm clothing, A dry bag for your warm clothing, and an Epirb. other handy bit of Kit is a GPS. Take a torch as well.

IP Logged

tahr
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #6 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 11:34am
Print Post  
Okay great, I'll definitely look into those items, i think i have them mostly already so that's great  Smiley.
I'll have to look into an Epirb.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 3:42pm
Print Post  
ok...I like your enthusiasm
if you are interested I can point you in right direction for some public land wallabies...yes its going to be a 3hr road trip each way...but you will get to work on fitness,get your eye in,both spotting animals and hopefully with bow.....1st assumtion=you can consistantly hit a 6" target at 30-40-??50 yards........
the huge advantage of going after some wallabies before deer is that it will give you some kills under your belt which will HOPEFULLY iron out and kinks and prevent buck fever when you do see a deer....
as for $$$$ on gear to buy....my advice is dont.YET
go out on a few trips chasing wallies and you will soon work out what is important and what is just extra weight.
daybag,knife,small steel,binos,PLB. what ever you want to eat...drink bottle,I normally use pump bottles or go all out and buy a poweraid,the bottle gets refilled with water and sometimes will get reused for 6 months before I buy another.
polarfleece clothing has come miles ahead in last few years,the thin stuff from the warehouse is better than most on a not so cold day.the airmesh type shirts are simply awesome value if you over heat like I do.
boots are personal thing.the lighter the better but ankle support is good...most of the time im in lace up gummies,but now have lightweight high top better set for warmer months.
if you prepared to drive that 3hrs each way and walk for 1 1/2-2 hrs uphill before getting onto game let me know and I will PM you details of where to head to.
Ive worked too hard over too many years to find reliable deer spots to randomly give them away.

IP Logged

tahr
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #8 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:16pm
Print Post  
Hi Micky, thank you so much for your advice. I think I could make the 3hr each way drive work, probably not every week but definitely once a month or so. I can definitely hit a 6" target at 50 yards but I'm not sure about something alive, I'll probably a bit shaky the first time or so Lips Sealed. No problem with a steep walk.

I'd be very grateful for the advice on where to head and i completely understand about the deer! I'd probably just scare them all away alive!  Grin.

For wallabies should i be sticking to my normal broadheads or should i be using a smallgame head? and where would i be aiming for the vitals on a wallaby, a quick google didn't show me much.

Thanks again, All this advice is really helpful!

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #9 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:18pm
Print Post  
Awesome Micky! You really want to take him up on that offer. I know its a bit of a drive but you will gain  alot from having multiple opportunities in any single event. It will keep your interest up and provide valuable learning experiences.

IP Logged

tahr
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #10 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:21pm
Print Post  
Absolutely I will! Very grateful to the both of you!  Grin

IP Logged

Shankspony
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #11 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:24pm
Print Post  
Just seen  your response. Use your big game heads. They are quite a big and tough animal. Aim between the elbow and neck on a wallaby sitting upright. Practice getting close. I would be trying to get within 20-25 yards. Someone on here with experience on wallabies might be able to help, but I think certain times of the day they are easier to approach than others.

IP Logged

tahr
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #12 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 4:27pm
Print Post  
Okay great, 20-25 yards will give me plenty of stalking practice!
Between the elbow and neck is a bit higher than i expected, but makes sense.

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #13 - Jan 26th, 2020 at 5:07pm
Print Post  
PM inbound.

IP Logged

JaSa

Know your (rifles) limits

Reply #14 - Jan 27th, 2020 at 3:57pm
Print Post  
The area where the vitals are in a wallaby is surprisingly small. Not so much a problem with a rifle but might be challenging getting a pointy stick in that area  Grin

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: [1] 2 
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards