Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Lab female 2.5 years old (Read 1164 times)
hagis

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Lab female 2.5 years old
Jan 11th, 2020 at 2:42pm
Print Post  
Hi guys, after some help, I’ve been offered the Lab above as my hunting dog but has had very little training, has had 2 seasons on ducks and will retrieve from pond, has been with pig dogs but stays besides the owner and goes in when pig is held, been around a few deer but not trained bush wise etc, questions would this Lab be too old to teach the right disciplines for deer hunting on farm land and in the bush, would appreciate your comments, Cheers

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Lab female 2.5 years old
Reply #1 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 4:13pm
Print Post  
Ill offer some thoughts to start the ball rolling.Two and half years is by no means old. That the dog stays close in is possibly going to be easier to train for your purposes than a dog that is simply up and off, last seen 5 minutes ago. . which would be a trait that would be harder to extinguish if your wanting the dog just in front of you indicating scent.     Im assuming there is some hunt drive in the dog as it does at least get interested at some point. As its a lab its possibly overweight?  Control its diet and slim it down and it will display a lot more drive and also endurance. 

Its realy up to you and your abilities to get the dog up to speed to meet your expectations.

As they say.. ''you get the dog you train for""   Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

hagis

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #2 - Jan 11th, 2020 at 8:24pm
Print Post  
Appreciate the feed back, makes a lot of sense thank you

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #3 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 7:21pm
Print Post  
Its very diffucult on the net to offer realy good advice. People dont know if youve had and trained dogs before and to what degree of success.

If you did know someone locally that has the dog you desire then it would be good to hook up with them once or twice a week to observe how they handle their dog.

Its way easier to train correctly from the start than have to have to correct training and everyday handling mistakes.  Smiley

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #4 - Jan 14th, 2020 at 5:26pm
Print Post  
I would have to agree with Headcase, Once you have a good level of basic obedience you can teach other things from there. Once the dog knows you are someone who needs to be listened to, it is much more likely to listen to what you are asking her to do.
And as HC says, it is so much easier teaching the right things from the start, instead of retraining them to break bad habits once they are formed.
99% of dogs are trainable, with the other 1% having their brains wired up all screwy and are untrainable. A much better ratio than most people I have met Smiley

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #5 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 6:34pm
Print Post  
Is this dog under conrol or out of control. Its a Lab. Im sure there must be a sausage at the bottom. Grin

https://www.gif-vif.com/Good-boy-loves-to-slide/?fbrefresh=23&fbclid=IwAR2pWoYli...

IP Logged

Rugerman
Donor Member

Bow Wow

Reply #6 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 9:01pm
Print Post  
haha hard case  Grin

I hope the skier stops him at the end of the sausage chase Smiley

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards