Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Floating wetlands (Read 746 times)
Sambar4Life
Forum Senior

Backsteaks FTW

Floating wetlands
Jan 9th, 2020 at 8:41am
Print Post  
Has anyone on here made a planted floating island for ducks to use. There's a few videos online but they don't make mention of what plants they use or whether they are plants available in nz. Also they mostly rely on wooden frames which wouldn't last more than a couple years I would imagine. People like to plant carex secta but would these plants work if the roots aren't in contact with soil

.308, anything else is just cruel

IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Re: Floating wetlands
Reply #1 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 7:56pm
Print Post  
They are obviously very popular.  Grin

Its a fascinating concept. How about using slavaged blue barrels  or other recycled plasic containers.

“We either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.”
IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Jan 15th, 2020 at 9:28pm
Print Post  
Ive thought about using a couple of 1000ltr square containers....tie three or five in a cluster leaving centre one bare...just cut out top....semi flood a couple of others and semi fill with soil the rest,you could adjust the height above water you wanted it to sit by amount of water you put in.a couple of transport strops threaded through frame and tightened would hold it together....or #8 wire it together. you could use just one 1000ltr containers with 2 or4 x 200ltr drums around it for floatation.

IP Logged

Sambar4Life
Forum Senior

Backsteaks FTW

Reply #3 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 9:06am
Print Post  
I've come across a stack of black plastic pallets on trademe which I think might work. Fill the inside with some form of media for roots to grow thru. I messaged fish and game about what plants to try a few days back but didn't hear back. I like the idea of some containers partially flooded for buoyancy and getting the height right.

.308, anything else is just cruel

IP Logged

XRhunter
Forum Guide
Donor Member
Staff
Online Forum Guide

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 16th, 2020 at 8:39pm
Print Post  
Yeah, those plastic pallets will last forever. Possibly hit a dairy farmer up for some of those green 60L drums washdown chemicals come in. Be a bit less conspicuous than the blue 205L ones. Then strap them onto a frame of some sort. Plants possibly in 10L pots with only the bottom inch in the water.
My raft took the ducks about 2 months to get used to. But now it can be covered in ducks in the middle of the day.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards