Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Porter River (Read 879 times)
Trophy_Hunter
Just Joined

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Porter River
Jan 5th, 2020 at 2:28pm
Print Post  
Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone has experience fishing the Porter river in Canty. Just walked upstream of the highway bridge and didnít see anything, Iíve been told itís a good trout stream, but if itís better further down maybe?
Thanks

IP Logged

Baz
Forum Font

Re: Porter River
Reply #1 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 4:54pm
Print Post  
Trophy_Hunter wrote on Jan 5th, 2020 at 2:28pm:
Hi everyone! Just wondering if anyone has experience fishing the Porter river in Canty. Just walked upstream of the highway bridge and didnít see anything, Iíve been told itís a good trout stream, but if itís better further down maybe?
Thanks

Hi TH. It's been very quiet along this stretch of the fishing forum-Either they are all out fishing, or no one it telling fishing fibs any more.
Sorry can't help you with any info-but hopefully you might get a response before the end of the season.
Tight Lines mate.

Too Old To Die Young.
YouTube  
IP Logged

headcase
Global Forum Guide
Donor Member

Former Youngest Person
in the World

Reply #2 - Jan 5th, 2020 at 6:58pm
Print Post  
Ive been down the stretch downstream from the main road through Castle Hill on the right and Flock Hill on the left while hunting.  Didnt fish it but having fished a wee bit it looked promising. Nice peacefull stretch anyway. Only saw one set of old tracks on the way down.
Smiley
« Last Edit: Jan 6th, 2020 at 7:48pm by headcase »  

ďWe either make ourselves miserable, or we make ourselves strong. The amount of work is the same.Ē
IP Logged

outnabout

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Jan 6th, 2020 at 8:53am
Print Post  

Hi TH, try walking downstream from the bridge a couple of solid hours without fishing, then turn around and fish your back for the rest of the day. 

Do your walk early in the morning, then fish when the day is warming up.

It can hold a reasonable number of fish in the early season.

Probably best fly fished.

Tight lines

IP Logged

Ern
Just Joined

Reply #4 - Jan 24th, 2020 at 4:42pm
Print Post  
Porters gets a lot of visits due to easy access. I have walked upstream once coming home from a trip and two fish spotted. Have also twice walked down stream and fished up and see a few catching two. One of the rainbows still had a double nymph set up dragging from its mouth. Nice piece of water but as I said gets a lot of visits always see vehicles at the car park.
One time got there early, left a note on windscreen with my intention to go downstream and fish up with my 12 year old. As we got to the gorge section we came across a couple. They got pretty angry saying we jumped in on them. I stated that I did not see any other car at the angler access point. They had gone down from cave  stream and were working their way up porters. At least they left us to fish back up. As I said can get busy

AIM  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards