Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Mokihinui still worth fishing ? (Read 471 times)
concolor
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Mokihinui still worth fishing ?
Nov 19th, 2019 at 10:10am
Print Post  
Hi there,
before Didymo I was hiking to the Mokihinui north/south branch and though the trout did not feed so very well it was a dream of a fishing water and I caught very nice fish. Because I would like to hike in again next January, my question is if someone knows about the influence of the algae in this river and if its still worth the long walk. The same with the Karamea and the Deepdale. Still good or down?

Tight lines
concolor

IP Logged

el_trout_whisperer
Forum Senior

Embracing nature's beat
down with Spartan reserve

Re: Mokihinui still worth fishing ?
Reply #1 - Nov 24th, 2019 at 5:04pm
Print Post  
Another thing that may've ruined it is the extra air traffic (ie, fly-in anglers). Sounds like you may've fished it a long time ago(pre-didymo), it's very different now, (probably) especially those rivers which used to be remote and peaceful.

At the risk of coming across as "negative" I wouldn't eat a trout out of any of those if they've been 1080'd (poisoned)

IP Logged

concolor
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #2 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 8:09am
Print Post  
Hi trout whisperer,

many thanks for the first reply to my post.

I fished the Mokihinui about 5 years before Didymo. I canīt estimate how fishing pressure developed since then. During my visit the helicopter with 2 Fishermen and one guide landed directly next to the hut. As Iīve been walking in for 8h I wasnīt too happy. The guide jumped out and asked me where I have already been fished and where I planned to go on fishing. Though I wasnīt very happy I found it fair how we arranged the fishing as win-win.

Sorry that foreign fishermen like me brought you that misery and some more. The only thing I can do is to disinfect my whole stuff carfully before entering your country or - staying away.
Good that you mention the 1080 thing - I didnīt think about that so far.

tight lines, concolor

IP Logged

puddleduk

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 25th, 2019 at 12:21pm
Print Post  
Didymo has not had any noticeable impact, air traffic is a bit more than nowadays. What has changed dramaticlly is the number of do it yourself foreign anglers there and everywhere else. Most fishermen I come across now are this type and they are putting huge pressure on our fisheries and to put it simply wrecking things.

IP Logged

concolor
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #4 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 9:37pm
Print Post  
Thank you puddleduk for your reply.
Good news to hear, that Didymo did not had any noticeable impact there.
According the number of foreign fishermen: Well, I`m afraid to be one of those do it yourself anglers, too. In this holiday I planned to fish only backcountry areas where the most of the other fishermen will be flown in. So I hope the result is not "wrecking the whole thing", since it will be no combat fishing, because my mate is no fisherman and we also need to relax.

tight lines, concolor

IP Logged

bufferzone
Donor Member

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #5 - Dec 5th, 2019 at 7:10am
Print Post  
i was on a small local river last week , i ran into 3 austrians, 2 french, 2 kiwis, and 2 brits

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2019. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards