Fishnhunt New Zealands main hunting and Fishing Forum. millions of posts on fishing and hunting, dogs, 4x4 vehicles, outdoors and much more Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Page Index Toggle Pages: 1 Send TopicPrint
Normal Topic Boots/leggings for wet wading (Read 716 times)
concolor
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Boots/leggings for wet wading
Nov 18th, 2019 at 11:31pm
Print Post  
Hi there,

next January we will visit your fishing paradise once more and so I want to get prepared also for wet wading. In NZ I´ve seen the “wet wading style” the first time, and in warm summer conditions it seems to be very comfortable. So I want to ask, if there are any real hiking boots on the market to be perfect for wet wading.
What I found are low cut, very lightweight trailrunning-style boots made out of robust mesh material to drain water easily (Rebock, Merell and some others). I will buy a pair of those, but I am looking also for high cut trecking boots which are also suitable to walk with a heavy backpack.
The same with leggings and socks: Anything recommendable, maybe UV-protective swimming-stuff ?
On my last trip I already asked for such equipment. As leggings PP-underwear was state of the Art and to drill holes in the soles of normal hiking boots. Thank you for any hint,

Tight lines
concolor

IP Logged

bigfoot708
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Re: Boots/leggings for wet wading
Reply #1 - Nov 19th, 2019 at 8:23am
Print Post  
Simms Flyweight boots with either neoprene sock/gravel-guards or wool socks and neoprene gaiters, and polyprop long-johns and shorts.
I prefer the wool sock option as its better to hike in, but the boots to fit them are too small to wear neo socks unless you get them large enough to fit wearing 2 or 3 pairs [of wool ones].

IP Logged

Micky Duck
Ex Member

Reply #2 - Nov 20th, 2019 at 7:43pm
Print Post  
laceup rubber gumboots...skellerup ashleys...heated nail through base of soles to let water drain out.... when new they are awesome for wading/rock work. I hunt in them aswell. not so flash in ankle support for carrying a heavy pack etc but its not been an issue for me.polyprop longjohns ($15 from postie plus shop) and pair of shorts over the top...for decentcy sake.

IP Logged

concolor
Just Joined

New Zealand's Hunting
and Fishing Forum

Reply #3 - Nov 29th, 2019 at 9:47pm
Print Post  
Thank you very much for your replys.

My current wading boots are old "lightweight" Simms. They are really light as long as they are dry. If wet, much heavyer. The rubber sole is very very good !  I will  check the new ones.

Nice to learn to know the skellerup gumboots. In Christchurch it should be possible to get them I hope. Very interesting.

tight lines

IP Logged

DaveH

I Love The FishNhunt Forum

Reply #4 - Jan 13th, 2020 at 7:49pm
Print Post  
If it is quite cool (end of May on the Upukerora, near Te Anau) I will wear nylon waterproof trousers over my longjohns. Doesn't keep you dry but it keeps the wind off. In these conditions I do use neoprene socks.
Dave

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send TopicPrint

FishnHunt - New Zealands Famous Hunting and Fishing Forum Since 1995 » Powered by YaBB 2.6.11!
YaBB Forum Software © 2000-2020. All Rights Reserved.
Site Design By Alan Simmons - PRism and all rights are reserved from 1995 and onwards